Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Top flight needs Villa vibrancy' Stan Collymore.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Villa have the most miserable fans in football. Vibrancy isn’t a word I’d associate with that club.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Arrogant b'stard
You don't get relegated just because nobody likes you - you get relegated because you've been rubbish for at least one season (and in Villa's case far longer than that)
Likewise you don't get promoted just because someone has taken a shine to you - you have to earn it.
I wanted Fulham to go up anyway as it's a decent atmosphere and easier to get to. Now I am even more behind them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Premier League rules mean a loan player is not permitted to play against the club that holds their registration (permitted in cup games however AIUI).

I'm probably thinking of the EFL then, as players there have played (and scored) against their parent clubs.

As far as Terry goes, I'm not sure it would even need to be written into his contract for him not to face Chelsea. A nod and a wink from Steve Bruce and he could easily "pick up a niggle" in training just before those games come round. However, I strongly suspect Terry would much prefer to make a big POINT of it to everyone, how he just couldn't face playing against his old team.

#rolleyes

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Collymore is only saying what the Premier league bosses and most other pundits want. They don't really want the Bournemouth's, Udders,Palace,Burnley's of this world, polluting the Premier league. Not very good for the image i guess.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The thing is that his ultimate point isn't wrong. Aston Villa, Leeds and Forest in particular are clubs which should be playing in the Premier League based on history and relative size of the club. But he's missing the main point - Premier League status is earnt, not gifted. Mentioning Derby is ridiculous, they're not in the same bracket as Villa, Leeds and Forest and would contribute almost nothing at all. I agree with him that small clubs like Palace and Burnley are hardly enhancing the Premier League as a brand but they're not there by accident. They earnt their place, and they've earnt their stay.

Au contraire, NO team SHOULD be playing in the Premier League, the only way of doing so is to earn the right to play there, Accrington Stanley have just as much right to play there as Arsenal, Lincoln as much as Liverpool, Mansfield as much as the Manchester clubs etc. Why haven't Collmore's beloved Villa being playing there for the last couple of seasons? because they weren't good enough, it's as simple as that.

Articles such as this from Collymore make me seethe. Who is Stan Collymore anyway? what makes his opinion any more valuable than anyone elses? Grrrrrr. :rant:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This - a stadium that all football fans should visit at least once.

Which is why Villa should do the right thing and visit each level of the professional football in England, to give all fans a chance to visit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Collymore is only saying what the Premier league bosses and most other pundits want. They don't really want the Bournemouth's, Udders,Palace,Burnley's of this world, polluting the Premier league. Not very good for the image i guess.

Bournemouth's, Huddersfield's, Palace's, Burnley's . . . and Brighton's of this world.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Bournemouth's, Huddersfield's, Palace's, Burnley's . . . and Brighton's of this world.

People seem to be ashamed of the fact but should be proud to be listed as a small club. Leave the chip on the shoulder mentality to West Ham and Everton supporters.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The thing is that his ultimate point isn't wrong. Aston Villa, Leeds and Forest in particular are clubs which should be playing in the Premier League based on history and relative size of the club. But he's missing the main point - Premier League status is earnt, not gifted. Mentioning Derby is ridiculous, they're not in the same bracket as Villa, Leeds and Forest and would contribute almost nothing at all. I agree with him that small clubs like Palace and Burnley are hardly enhancing the Premier League as a brand but they're not there by accident. They earnt their place, and they've earnt their stay.
Eh? What is the difference between Derby and Forest? They are very similar clubs size wise and historically. In fact, Derby have marginally bigger support.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
" The Premier League as a brand needs Aston Villa and other big clubs like Leeds, Nottingham Forest, and Derby.
We are being overloaded with smaller clubs that have sneaked into the Premier League, are cheap to buy, and have low expectations.
They get to the top flight and then roll over and have their bellies tickled by the big sides.
Big clubs come with big expectations even when they are not doing well so I would love to see Villa back.
But, given the way Fulham under Slavisa Jokanovic have been playing this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they took the last remaining ticket to the Premier League".

He doesn't really get it, does he?

Forest, relegated from the PL, 1999
Derby, relegated from the PL, 2008
Dirty Leeds, relegated from the PL, 2004.

All more deserving of a PL place than us, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace, and Burnley.

Never really understood this. Sure the clubs may have had some history, but none of the teams he mentions have pulled up any trees for a number of years, so to me they're no longer these so-called 'big' clubs. These clubs have to prove they're worthy of such a tag, not just live on past glories.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People seem to be ashamed of the fact but should be proud to be listed as a small club. Leave the chip on the shoulder mentality to West Ham and Everton supporters.

I'm not so sure that Everton fans have a chip on their shoulder, in many ways l actually feel quite sorry for them, having to live in the shadow of their more successful neighbours from across Stanley Park.

But l agree, nothing at all wrong with supporting a so called smaller club. The amount of people who support a club should be totally irrelevant to how well that they do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Woah. Huddersfield won the First Division three years in a row. 1923-1925 inclusive. They were runners up for the following two years 1927 & 1928, won the FA cup 1922, and have been runners up 4 times. They also won the Charity Shield in 1922.

I knew they had a good history but have looked up the details this afternoon. They have three stars on their shirts.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Woah. Huddersfield won the First Division three years in a row. 1923-1925 inclusive. They were runners up for the following two years 1927 & 1928, won the FA cup 1922, and have been runners up 4 times. They also won the Charity Shield in 1922.

I knew they had a good history but have looked up the details this afternoon. They have three stars on their shirts.

Indeed. They were managed by the late great Herbert Chapman, who was later responsible for the great Arsenal sides before the last war. Unfortunately, since then, the Terriers haven't made much of a dent on the higher reaches of the league, and are now regarded by many, as a smaller club, certainly in Premier League terms.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think the phrase in this nonsense that annoys me the most, is that we (the small clubs) sneaked into the PL.

Does he understand how the football pyramid works? No team can ‘sneak ‘ into a promotion places, even if you go up via the play offs. You have to be one of the top 6 teams in the division to be in with a chance in May, something the likes of Dirty Leeds and Forest appear to have forgotten how to achieve. To sneak, basically sounds like we are being accused of cheating our way out of the Championship.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. They were managed by the late great Herbert Chapman, who was later responsible for the great Arsenal sides before the last war. Unfortunately, since then, the Terriers haven't made much of a dent on the higher reaches of the league, and are now regarded by many, as a smaller club, certainly in Premier League terms.

Not forgetting Bill Shankly, Denis Law and the late Ray Wilson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here