Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Top flight needs Villa vibrancy' Stan Collymore.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is it not effectively 6 teams...the media darlings?

I have amended your post for honesty matey...

I think we are probably more than tolerated all the while we have a state of the art stadium and are filling it up with 30,000 every single week. As things stand, we're more like Southampton and Leicester only without the top flight tradition. We'll only join that less fashionable gang if and when the novelty wears off and if we continually find ourselves in a relegation battle.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It wouldn't be based on merit or any form of league position. It would be an "exclusive" club where teams were invited to join based on their international appeal rather than any other measure.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Having typed that I wonder, if this did occur, how they would determine which teams 'qualified' for the Super League? Would they just say, the top 6 at the end of this season qualify, or would they exclude the 'over-achieving' smaller clubs, like Burnley and Leicester (over recent years) and use some sort of average?

It would be determined by finding the 6 most popular English clubs in Malaysia. Global appeal will be the only deciding factor when creating such a league.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
There's always been so called smaller clubs in the top flight though so his argument is redundant. Just had a quick look at the 91/92 season for example - last season before the Prem. It included Oldham, Luton, Notts County, Wimbledon, amongst other smaller clubs like Palace, QPR, Coventry, Norwich.

:( :(

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It wouldn't be based on merit or any form of league position. It would be an "exclusive" club where teams were invited to join based on their international appeal rather than any other measure.

And what would be exclusive today about Derby for example? Way way down the pecking order of UK conurbations.

Separately, clubs like Villa and Leeds should have been run properly in the first place, which probably would have prevented their falls from grace. Villa overspent on players/wages their true income didn’t warrant in the O’Neill era (until Lerner had enough) and the same but more extreme at Leeds under Risdale.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would suggest that it's probably more likely that the 'weeding' will occur from the top with the formation of a European Super League, and we lose the top 5 or 6 forever, which I think would be a MASSIVE plus for English football, with a much fairer structure and the chance for many more teams to actually win the league.

Having typed that I wonder, if this did occur, how they would determine which teams 'qualified' for the Super League? Would they just say, the top 6 at the end of this season qualify, or would they exclude the 'over-achieving' smaller clubs, like Burnley and Leicester (over recent years) and use some sort of average?

Some sort of closed shop of teams voted by other European giants being invited to join I imagine. They could then just weed out Leicester and Burnley size clubs however great their recent successes may have been.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I object to the idea that Nottingham Forest are in any way, shape or form a 'big club'. They came tenth last season in Championship attendances, below mighty Norwich. And apart from an FA Cup in the 19th century and another in 1959, every single thing they have ever won came during the Brian Clough - Peter Taylor era. We talk about our chums up the road being a one-man team but Forest are a two-man club. And neither of them is Stan Collymore.

The Premier League doesn't need them any more than it needs Sheffield United, Ipswich or Wigan.

In fairness, I object to the whole debate about whether a club is 'big' out not, it's puerile and pointless BUT if we're going to have it, I think 2 European cup wins gives you life membership of the big club club.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Some sort of closed shop of teams voted by other European giants being invited to join I imagine. They could then just weed out Leicester and Burnley size clubs however great their recent successes may have been.

So the clubs from the UK they would choose would be:

1. Manchester United - of course - biggest English club
2. Manchester City - massive spending power - recently bought a league title
3. Chelsea - Fairly recent league and Champions League winners
4. Spurs
5. Arsenal

Then ... 6. Everton?

Or

6. Celtic
7. Cardiff?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the Top 6 deserve their own official category in the media. I'm sick of clicking on 'Transfer News' to see every story dominated by speculation surrounding the Top 6.

It would be quite funny if the Beeb had the balls to divide Transfer Talk into "Top 6" and "Premier League 2 -The Rest".

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
So the clubs from the UK they would choose would be:

4. Spurs
5. Arsenal

Then ... 6. Everton?

Or

6. Celtic
7. Cardiff?

Liverpool?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[QUOzzTE=Papa Lazarou;8467582]So the clubs from the UK they would choose would be:

4. Spurs
5. Arsenal
6 Liverpool
[/QUOTE]

Sorted. So do the Premier League get to vote who gets auto promotion from the Championship :smile:

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here