Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England V Pakistan.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
England lasted 27 minutes this morning...Pakistan needed 12.4 overs. :facepalm:

Not too busy in the Nursery Ground today...

nursery ground.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was thinking of Haseeb Hameed and Keaton Jennings of Lancashire surely they would do no worse than Stoneman andf Malan.

It is ridiculous to finish 1 test on Monday, if it went to the last day, then start another one the following Thursday or Friday as there is no time for the players to play an innings for their county. All done to satisfy the demands of Sky yet again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was thinking of Haseeb Hameed and Keaton Jennings of Lancashire surely they would do no worse than Stoneman andf Malan.

It is ridiculous to finish 1 test on Monday, if it went to the last day, then start another one the following Thursday or Friday as there is no time for the players to play an innings for their county. All done to satisfy the demands of Sky yet again.
Not just Sky. It is the number of test matches played - we used to play one five match test series at home in the summer (or occasionally six, with two three games series against lesser sides) - and one overseas tour in the winter.
Now it's continuous - and don't get me started about the obligatory 50 over and Twenty20 series attacked to each test series!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it finance or support driven? I do agree about the original 1 series of 5 test matches spread over the summer but then we didnt have the Sunday village green competitions.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Tempting to wander down memory lane:

- one division County Championship feeding the test team

- every country playing every other one

- one 40 over tournament confined to Sunday

- one KO 60 over completion

- one touring side 5 tests (OK sometimes 2 x 3) and playing the country sides

Seemed very simple at the time. Plus 2nd XI comps, flourishing local cricket leagues and county pros who might take a 100 wickets a season and not be within whistling distance of a test call-up.
Oh well: things change.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In reality you know that they will both be out in the first couple of overs... :down:

Spot on ! Pakistan will have rested and regrouped overnight and worked out how to break that partnership, knowing that once they did, there was nothing much more to come.

Pakistan are never easy to play against,Pakistan Test places are hard earned and players know there are always others ready and waiting to step up.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
You need to give credit where it is due, Pakistan outplayed England in every department, they bowled straight lines, got heads down and occupied time at the crease and held catches.
England were woeful, didn't bowl straight, didn't get heads down and occupy time at the crease and didn't hold catches.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There are now three distinct types of cricket. This one we are shit at.
Money money money, must be funny.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
You need to give credit where it is due, Pakistan outplayed England in every department, they bowled straight lines, got heads down and occupied time at the crease and held catches.
England were woeful, didn't bowl straight, didn't get heads down and occupy time at the crease and didn't hold catches.

Yes, all of this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tempting to wander down memory lane:

- one division County Championship feeding the test team

- every country playing every other one

- one 40 over tournament confined to Sunday

- one KO 60 over completion

- one touring side 5 tests (OK sometimes 2 x 3) and playing the country sides

Seemed very simple at the time. Plus 2nd XI comps, flourishing local cricket leagues and county pros who might take a 100 wickets a season and not be within whistling distance of a test call-up.
Oh well: things change.

I don't think every county playing every other one has happened for a long, long time - certainly not in my 53 years of watching cricket. But we did used to play more than 20 CC games. You missed out test cricket on terrestrial TV - my summer holidays from school was generally at the county ground or watching test matches on the box.

Generally speaking life's got better in most things, but cricket has most definitely got worse.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I don't think every county playing every other one has happened for a long, long time - certainly not in my 53 years of watching cricket. But we did used to play more than 20 CC games. You missed out test cricket on terrestrial TV - my summer holidays from school was generally at the county ground or watching test matches on the box.

Generally speaking life's got better in most things, but cricket has most definitely got worse.

Yes - any errors occur through the rose-coloured spectacles; they did play against every county in the JP League of course. Talking of TV coverage, you'll remember when they only had cameras at one end and half the coverage was therefore from behind the batsman. This was a particular issue with Messrs Cowdrey and Milburn batting. And to go back on those Sundays - which were in those days reserved for benefit matches - there were the Rothman's Cavalier games on the box. They seemed so exotic.

(I think my first game at the County Ground was v Essex in 1963. It rained. Perhaps you caught the South Africa game in 1965?)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Keats in for Stoney is a step in the right direction.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Why Malan? He's scored a century and 3 fifties in his last 10 innings averaging 37.1 in the process. Not the best record but the majority of the runs away from home and against quality attacks. With the cupboard so bare, I'd persevere with him for the forceable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
we need to improve the batting at 1, 2 and 3 in order to leave Root at 4 so 1 has to go and he is the least effective. We could then have Stokes Bairstow and Buttler as 5,6,and 7

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
we need to improve the batting at 1, 2 and 3 in order to leave Root at 4 so 1 has to go and he is the least effective. We could then have Stokes Bairstow and Buttler as 5,6,and 7

Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler should be 6, 7 and 8, the top four are far too fragile. Really only Cook has the ability to bat a day, Root hasn't got the mental strength to score big.

That said Wood, Broad and Anderson at 9, 10 and 11are just walking rabbits, time to start up the roller.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Bring Moeen back in as a batsman/2nd spin option. Root Moeen Bairstow Stokes Buttler is a solid middle order and then Bess plus 3 seamers. Cook and another opener and there's the eleven. Yes it's a weak side with Malan/Stoneman/Vince/whoever but there's enough quality in there to dominate let alone win as game. Would say the problem would be with Bayliss but we know this anyway #BaylissOUT

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I got a lot of stick about this at the local, serves me right for my ridicule of them in the ball tampering.
What goes around...........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here