Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] From the Argus, some really good news for all us Calderon fans

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The article is based on one single ambiguous quote from Barber (perhaps he said more in the print version). Although the aspiration is of course interesting.
"The likes of Bruno, Calderon, Sidwell, Rosenior are all players who, when they finally decide to hang up their boots, we would love to have as part of the club in some way, shape or form."
But the idea that x or y are going to become coaches or anything at the Albion in the near term is fanciful at this stage to say the least. They will get other offers (eg: media, other ex clubs) and none have er, actually retired yet anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He'd come with a sports science degree, a mast.ers in sports psychology, a Pro Licence and knows the club and community schemes backwards. It's not just sentimentality. He still has so much to offer us. I'd imagine there's a fair lure from his home town club though so we'd have stiff competition for his services.

Also good to hear the notion of a boot room culture. Continuity is a massively underrated asset these days.

If Bob Smith spent his spare time teaching the yoof of Brighton, did a Spanish triathlon for a high profile Sussex charity, worked hard for AITC, had a sports science degree, a masters in sports psychology and coaching qualifications, oozed personality and did stuff like

View attachment 97155

I'm absolutely certain Bob would be an Albion legend as well.

Why is that? I'm not disputing it, but it is strange that a reasonable second-tier right-back is held in such high regard. I wonder if he would be as revered if his name was Bob Smith. Funny that he was also a hate figure for a few weeks when he was going to Southampton.

A reasonable second-tier right back, with a lot of qualifications who would benefit the culture of the club.

Guy & Danny work for Albion in the Community, which is part of the club, but not directly for the club.
Casper Ankergren is the youth goal keeping coach.
It's not meet and greet lounge ambassadors, but proper qualified jobs such as Nathan Jones brought when he returned as assistant manager (and he was forgiven for his Yeovil exploits)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The article is based on one single ambiguous quote from Barber (perhaps he said more in the print version). Although the aspiration is of course interesting.
"The likes of Bruno, Calderon, Sidwell, Rosenior are all players who, when they finally decide to hang up their boots, we would love to have as part of the club in some way, shape or form."
But the idea that x or y are going to become coaches or anything at the Albion in the near term is fanciful at this stage to say the least. They will get other offers (eg: media, other ex clubs) and none have er, actually retired yet anyway.

Blimey Chailey, an article that most seem to like the gist of and you are trying to play it down. I’m actually shocked :smile:

Have you misplaced your Blue and White tinted spectacles?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Barber expanding on the original article. Not known for commenting glibly, so I guess the intent is definitely there, if the players can be convinced.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...model_pros_as_they_build_a_boot-room_culture/

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think they should get jobs where no jobs exist, but I could see some of these players really adding to our club in some new roles.... such as these ....

Stevie Sidwell - Some sort of role model, player mentoring, keeping them on the straight and narrow type role
Liam Rosenior - We've got an assistant manager, but a year or half a year's job shadowing of Chris Hughton (where Liam's at all the meetings and getting first hand insights of how Chris works) would really benefit him as an aspiring coach
Calde - Taking the charitable side to a new level
Bruno - Coaching and conditioning, teaching the youngsters how to look after their bodies properly.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I have thought for some time that the success of the last few years has been due to exceptional team spirit led by a few ezceptional senior players. For me that has meant Calde, Rosenior and Bruno (although I note that many talk about Sidwell in the same way). For me these are not just players who would give everything for the club, but are intelligent role models who talk common sense in every interview and action andshow true loyalty to the Albion. In my >40 years supporting the Albion I they are quite different to other ex and senior players that I have seen..

Therefore it’s good to hear what Barber said. It’s not a promise, because the right role for them may.not become available. However if in five years time a couple of these were associated with the Albion, we would be in good hands.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think they should get jobs where no jobs exist, but I could see some of these players really adding to our club in some new roles.... such as these ....

Stevie Sidwell - Some sort of role model, player mentoring, keeping them on the straight and narrow type role
Liam Rosenior - We've got an assistant manager, but a year or half a year's job shadowing of Chris Hughton (where Liam's at all the meetings and getting first hand insights of how Chris works) would really benefit him as an aspiring coach
Bruno - Coaching and conditioning, teaching the youngsters how to look after their bodies properly.

Calde could be one of those real life statues which people just stand and admire on matchdays?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I see Alaves, his “hometown” club have offered Calde an off-pitch role too. Assuming the offers were comparable, it would be a big ask to expect him to come back to us when he presumably has family over there. I really hope he does though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you are relegating Calde to charity work, with his brilliant qualifications, then we've no chance of him returning to Brighton, especially as Alaves, as said above, also want to employ him.
He is a very intelligent man.

Guy & Danny aren't just coaching in AITC, but taking youngsters through a BTEC course.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
More former players who, like Danny and Guy, would be superb assets. Btw, Albion Roar had an excellent interview recently with the latter pair and is well worth a listen.

Cheers, bloke. They were a delight to have in. Only meant to do an hour, but we just kept going and going and going... It is true I've been trying for five years to get Danny to come on, and the truth always was he was too shy - preferring to let his work with AITC do the talking. I pointed out (while getting one of his hardest stares) that that's great, but 'people don't actually know what it is that you do...'. He eventually agreed to come on provided Guy came with him. Glad you enjoyed it.

Back on topic - one would hope that the club have already had conversations with that magic quarter of Bruno, Calde, Liam and Sidders before saying how much they want to retain their services. If that is the case, this is in no way a 'jobs for the boys' scenario - an accusation levelled by many on here about 10 years ago for all those ex-players whom the club was employing.

Those four genuinely have something to offer, plus - for me - the represent the heart and soul of the club; people who understand the concept of community, are good communicators and genuinely appreciate their standing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I see Alaves, his “hometown” club have offered Calde an off-pitch role too. Assuming the offers were comparable, it would be a big ask to expect him to come back to us when he presumably has family over there. I really hope he does though.

It's complicated, as Calde would say.

He is from Vitoria. He and his wife are Basque. His children were born in Brighton. His son's first words - according to Calde - were 'football' and 'Seagulls' (I'd so love that to be true), and they (the kids) speak with unaccented English.

He doesn't have a place here, so few-ish roots, aside from (many) friends. He knows he will be worshipped, and we know he will be a major asset. Is that enough to lure him here? Who knows?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Cheers, bloke. They were a delight to have in. Only meant to do an hour, but we just kept going and going and going... It is true I've been trying for five years to get Danny to come on, and the truth always was he was too shy - preferring to let his work with AITC do the talking. I pointed out (while getting one of his hardest stares) that that's great, but 'people don't actually know what it is that you do...'. He eventually agreed to come on provided Guy came with him. Glad you enjoyed it.

Back on topic - one would hope that the club have already had conversations with that magic quarter of Bruno, Calde, Liam and Sidders before saying how much they want to retain their services. If that is the case, this is in no way a 'jobs for the boys' scenario - an accusation levelled by many on here about 10 years ago for all those ex-players whom the club was employing.

Those four genuinely have something to offer, plus - for me - the represent the heart and soul of the club; people who understand the concept of community, are good communicators and genuinely appreciate their standing.

Completely agree and I know a very good family friend of Danny's so had heard he's shy (off the pitch!). Was a fascinating interview and those who make such accusations evidently don't know either very well; nor others employed by the club e.g. Kuipers, Rollings etc.

Anyway thanks for another fantastic year of podcasts chaps, essential listening especially for us 'exiles' outside Sussex :)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

More money would probably do the trick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here