Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I can’t see it . But can anyone hear a Chinook over central Brightoh?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK I'll play.

I believe The Downs are used for low-level flying practice.

I was once cycling on the ridge that Goodwood racecourse sits (a road who's name dare not be mentioned) when below me, on the south side, I was 'overtaken' by a Chinook.
Mightily impressive it was too, esp passing Halnaker Windmill.

Well I thought that was the impressive bit, as I cycled through the trees to the 7 furlong marker, the Chinook driver was in the process of doubling back, flying directly over my head, just above the treeline.

I was filled with so many sensations all of which were lost on me as I all but pooped my lycra, and that was before I got hit by the downdraft.

Jul 7, 2003
Go on - I'll humour Timmy as well.

There is regularly a Chinook seen flying fairly low over Burgess Hill so probably the same one. Fairly sure it has been discussed on here before but can't be arsed to do the search and claim 'fixtures'.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
They used to land in a field, near the Black Boys Inn, Uckfield.

I wonder whether it's the same field in Black Boys that used to become heavy with magic mushrooms come October time in the 80s? I'm not certain I'd want to fly a Chinook after munching a load of them. Riding a motorbike afterwards was strange enough..so I was told.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It couldn't have been a gammon slice responsible, could it?

Talking of slices, whatever happened to safeway?

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing in Twitter. Normally a good source for current happenings.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Time travelling, from 2009..?

this taken at the time, during White Air 'sports fest', the Marines doing a demonstration..

marines drop in  brighton whiteair beach 2009.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My brother in law used to fly the Chinooks out of RAF Odiham, and they flew over this way all the time.
Even buzzed my sons primary school at lunchtime once which the kids thought was awesome.
Not uncommon to see at all, and I love hearing that familiar "chugga chugga" as they get near, before seeing them cruise along the clifftops here in BN10.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here