Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Proud Seagulls

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's not gender specific at all.

Where did you get that from?

'We would like to welcome anyone who identifies as LGBTQ+' ? The question remains .. What was the all-inclusive BHA supporters club not doing that meant we needed a smaller gender specific group to progress a legitimate cause?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'We would like to welcome anyone who identifies as LGBTQ+' ? The question remains .. What was the all-inclusive BHA supporters club not doing that meant we needed a smaller gender specific group to progress a legitimate cause?

Do you understand what 'gender-specific' means? It's not gender specific.

Your whole point of reasoning is based on the consideration that there shouldn't be an LGBTQ+ supporters' group because you've convinced yourself it's not necessary. Indeed, you're also saying that it's divisive. Who are you to say there shouldn't be an LGBTQ+ supporters' group? Who are you to say it's exclusive?

The interesting point is that so far you haven't ask the question 'why shouldn't it be created?' - only 'why should it'...? There are several reasons why it should, and none why it shouldn't. The fact you've shown yourself to not know that it's not gender-specific makes out you're coming at this from a certain point of ignorance.

As to why it should exist - as though it were any of your business - if you have ever been out and about in open society as an LGBTQ+ person, especially at somewhere like a football match, you'd know it can be an intimidating place. The open hostility to non-heterosexuality can be frightening. Many of us on here have been subject to threats of violence just for being Brighton fans and therefore - and the minds of the truly stupid - gay.

To have a group where people can meet, discuss ideas, be an open forum, offer support, and bring in other groups from within the club, and similar groups from across the country would sound very appealing. This isn't ONLY about Brighton & Hove Albion - it's about tackling and beating homophobia and all its associated behaviour from a position of strength.

A voice from an LGBTQ+ group would also raise awareness of certain social issues - as good the work that the BHASC have done - with far more gravitas. BHASC don't have the monopoly of tackling homophobia issues either. It's not an exclusive club - if you wish to openly support it, you are free to do so. If you don't want anything to do with it, why keep commenting? It's got nothing to do with you.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Do you understand what 'gender-specific' means? It's not gender specific.

Your whole point of reasoning is based on that there shouldn't be an LGBTQ+ supporters' group because you've convinced yourself it's not necessary. Indeed, you're also saying that it's divisive. Who are you to say there shouldn't be an LGBTQ+ supporters' group? Who are you to say it's exclusive?

The interesting point is that so far you haven't ask the question 'why shouldn't it be created' - only 'why should it'...? There are several reasons why it should, and none why it shouldn't. The fact you've shown yourself to not know that it's not gender-specific makes out you're coming at this from a certain point of ignorance.

As to why it should exist - as though it were any of your business - if you have ever been out and about in open society as an LGBTQ+ person, especially at somewhere like a football match, you'd know it can be an intimidating place. The open hostility to non-heterosexuality can be frightening. Many of us on here have been subject to threats of violence just for being Brighton fans and therefore - and the minds of the truly stupid - gay.

To have a group where people can meet, discuss ideas, be an open forum, offer support, and bring in other groups from within the club, and similar groups from across the country would sound very appealing. This isn't ONLY about Brighton & Hove Albion - it's about tackling and beating homophobia and all its associated behaviour from a position of strength.

A voice from an LGBTQ+ group would also raise awareness of certain social issues - as good the work that the BHASC have done - with far more gravitas. BHASC don't have the monopoly of homophobia issues either. It's not an exclusive club - if you wish to openly support it, you are free to do so. If you don't want anything to do with it, why keep commenting? It's got nothing to do with you.

My point, which you won't address is .. What was the all-inclusive BHA supporters club not doing that meant we needed a smaller gender specific group to progress a legitimate cause?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My point, which you won't address is .. What was the all-inclusive BHA supporters club not doing that meant we needed a smaller gender specific group to progress a legitimate cause?

I won't address it because it's an illegitimate question.

I don't know how many times you need telling it's not a gender-specific group before the penny drops. Proud Seagulls is not a gender-specific group, no matter how many times you keep repeating that lie.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I won't address it because it's an illegitimate question.

I don't know how many times you need telling it's not a gender-specific group before the penny drops. Proud Seagulls is not a gender-specific group, no matter how many times you keep repeating that lie.

Of course, you won't. But humour me what was the all-inclusive BHA supporters club not doing that meant we needed a smaller gender-specific group to progress a legitimate cause?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I’d ruddy love a giant rainbow flag at the back of the north stand.

Just to show any homophobes that Brighton is proud of its LGBTQ+ community & fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course, you won't. But humour me what was the all-inclusive BHA supporters club not doing that meant we needed a smaller gender-specific group to progress a legitimate cause?

Blimey, you really don't know what you're on about, do you?

I assumed you were on a wind-up, but it's clear you have no understanding of what it is you're asking. You evidently think you do, but by asking the wrong question - one based on a complete falsehood; a falsehood you're happy to repeat - you've just shown yourself up to be ignorant. So why broadcast that fact? Feeling left out?

I've also answered the reasoning behind the group's launch, in regards to its own existence, and that of BHASC's - thought it's clearly an answer you neither accept nor understand.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I assumed you were on a wind-up, but it's clear you have no understanding of what it is you're asking. You evidently think you do, but by asking the wrong question - one based on a complete falsehood; a falsehood you're happy to repeat - you've just shown yourself up to be ignorant. So why broadcast that fact? Feeling left out?

I've also answered the reasoning behind the group's launch, in regards to its own existence, and that of BHASC's - thought it's clearly an answer you neither accept nor understand.

Well I do ... but you have predictably categorized my pov to fit a convenient strawman template. I have said the new group is free to set up my only quibble is asking what they think they could achieve as a new grouping under a specific gender identity banner instead of part of the wider BHA all-inclusive family .. that has already highlighted these issues.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Well I do ... but you have predictably categorized my pov to fit a convenient strawman template. I have said the new group is free to set up my only quibble is asking what they think they could achieve as a new grouping under a specific gender identity banner instead of part of the wider BHA all-inclusive family .. that has already highlighted these issues.

you keep repeating that this is a "gender specific group", but it isn't. You seem to be confusing Gender with sexuality-there is a huge difference. Gender specific would be male only , or female only. The fact that it is LGBTQ etc specifically counters your entire argument. The whole LGBTQ... encompasses all genders, simply by its inclusion of Lesbian, Gay Bisexual.But even your argument if based on sexuality alone was correct there is a huge difference between gay, lesbian, transgender etc. The fact that you seem not to be able to comprehend this shows the reason this group needs to exist in the first place

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"With promotion to the Premier League, I felt it was the right time to set up the group. Most Premier League and Championship sides have a recognised LGBTQ+ supporters’ group, and we should be no different. In fact over the years we, as a club and fans, have suffered more with homophobic / transphobic chants from opposing fans than any other supporters. This is something as a group we intend to tackle in order to reduce and ultimately eradicate homophobia, transphobia, racism and sexism not just from football, but from society as a whole."

Which is fine, I have no objection to the formation of the group whatsoever, or its noble objectives.

But given how long homophobic issues have manifested themselves in our game over the years, with some high profile and unpleasant incidents over the last few seasons at the Amex and around the country, I'm not sure why its taken till now, when we're finally in the Premier League, for this to suddenly be launched. The timing strikes me as being somewhat opportunistic when a group like this could've been launched YEARS ago, as we were experiencing the "delights" of Elland Road and Fratton Park. Better late than never though I suppose. I hope its a success. But I dunno why promotion to the Premier League was apparently the trigger.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
you keep repeating that this is a "gender specific group", but it isn't. You seem to be confusing Gender with sexuality-there is a huge difference. Gender specific would be male only , or female only. The fact that it is LGBTQ etc specifically counters your entire argument. The whole LGBTQ... encompasses all genders, simply by its inclusion of Lesbian, Gay Bisexual.But even your argument if based on sexuality alone was correct there is a huge difference between gay, lesbian, transgender etc. The fact that you seem not to be able to comprehend this shows the reason this group needs to exist in the first place

The alphabet spaghetti of identity/ minority politics. The gender-specific groupings that doesn't include S = straight/the vast majority. As I have said more than once no problem them setting up a new group but the all encompassing only three relevant letters needed BHA supporters club have already highlighted and fought for change in this area (succesfully).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I'm pretty sure he means sexuality specific, not that I agree with his viewpoint.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You seem to be of the opinion that a new group is a effectively a splinter group.

I am discriminated against joining the A21 Club or the North West Sussex Seagulls by virtue of geography.

Technically you aren't. I'm a member of Mid Sussex Seagulls and my knowledge of Haywards Heath extends to walk from station to Savannah bar and back again. Anyone can go to Seagulls Over London.

Which however does make a point.

There are loads of supporters groups and why on earth would anyone give a flying f### if someone started a new one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Did you mean monogamy? Or are there fans that have been pining since the departure of Chris Wood?

He must have meant Monopoly.
What about Monopoly and all those who still love Waddingtons and their classic board games.
Come on LMSTT

Fans for Lexicon, Monopoly, Subbuteo and Top Trumps. I’m in chaaaaaaaaaaaarge

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Technically you aren't. I'm a member of Mid Sussex Seagulls and my knowledge of Haywards Heath extends to walk from station to Savannah bar and back again. Anyone can go to Seagulls Over London.

Which however does make a point.

There are loads of supporters groups and why on earth would anyone give a flying f### if someone started a new one.

Quite.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

19 years ago. That might be why it didn’t spring to mind. You say specifically The Admiral because that was the only gay pub attacked. The Brixton Electric Avenue was aimed at Afro- Caribbean folk and the Brick Lane one aimed at People of Asian descent. All horrific of course perpetrated by a demented young BNP member.

So Professor Questions has come to the conclusion that this guy was an all round nutter and your example is not indicative of crimes wholly against Homosexuals.
Terrible as the Admiral bombing was TLO.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I have no issues either way.

But TLO, you are not half patronising to people who do not share the same opinion as you. You would make a great politician.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think there is in this part of the world especially, a general belief among the straight community that equality is here, everyone can marry who they like, that the bad old days of "gay bashing" are over, and that on the whole this whole gay equality thing is sorted, and that being the case why is there a need for gay pride, gay supporters groups and the like.
Well, things have improved massively from when I was a teen, struggling with my sexuality and all. BUT things aren't OK, there is still a long way to go. Yes I am protected by the law over most discrimination, yes, attitudes have changed, but until a 14 year old boy doesn't feel scared to death about being telling his parents/friends that he is gay, until teens aren't regularly thrown out of their homes because they are gay, until people aren't beaten up on the streets for holding their boyfriends hands, until we can go in a club and kiss our boyfriends in the same way most couples can without fear of being sneered at, and commented on then things aren't sorted. Don't think all of this still happens in Brighton? Think again, it does.
Casual discrimination is the worst, that look you see as someone passes you in the street and the snigger as they walk away, the use of the "thats so gay" putdown, all of this cuts a little everytime even at the ripe old age of 55. Trust me it hurts like hell when you are only 14! So until all of this stops, then YES groups are needed.
They provide support, a sense of belonging, a place where you don't feel you are completely alone. If it makes 1 person feel a little less isolated , a little safer going to a match then its worthwhile. It will not affect anyone else in anyway at all, it wont ruin anyone elses enjoyment of supporting the Seagulls, but it may just help others enjoy it a bit more, so whats the harm?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here