Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shane in the news again!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I f*cking detest this new form of “journalism”. Trawl through a famous persons tweets from when they were a stupid teenager with no filter/common sense. Find anything that can be twisted in to homophobic, racist or xenophobic abuse and then package it off as news when; in reality, it's absolutely f*cking meaningless tripe.

I would say they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel, but they’re not. They’ve actually broken through the bottom and are now tunnelling straight to the earths core at a rate of knots.

I've said it before, but it really comes to something when The Sun takes the moral high ground. I seem to remember it doing a similar thing about being outraged about the exploitation of women, just after they'd binned Page 3 models!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why do footballers ?
They are ( in theory ) role models, mainly for the young and in that respect have a certain responsibility.

No reason why they can't use an alias if they want to 'be themselves'.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You know when you're playing pool and you've had a few and you're playing like peak era Jimmy White, then you have that one too many pint... and you couldn't pot a ball from a table with no edges.

Well I can't help feeling that Shane is rather paradoxically playing on a table with no pockets and a solid edge. Yet he put his 50p on the edge of this seemingly obtuse 'parable', he paid his money, now as the devil chalks his cue (smiling enigmatically) pockets appear and with the last pot of the black... well the loser's soul is forfeit.

It's brave mortal man who challenges the Gods, a fool who plays with the devil.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just imagine if Zaha had tweeted these comments seven years ago and now we had found them.

We need to take the blue and white tinted glasses off here and accept Shane is or was a bit of a moron. However what is done is done and the FA have accepted his apology and warned him of his conduct so story over really. It does dim my view of him as a person, but he is still a decent centre half though.

I wonder if he will start next season now though? Bad time for him to become a problem child when competition at centre half has just increased.

There won’t be the consequences you mention. CH will select his CB’s on playing merit.

I can’t see the club reacting to comments made many years ago by a young person, long betore he became an employee.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I can’t see the club reacting to comments made many years ago by a young person, long betore he became an employee.

Hmm - I dunno. You’re probably right, but if any club were to make a statement over this, it would be ours.

Also, if they don’t, isn’t there a certain amount of double standards at play? Fans can be banned for “bringing the club into disrepute”, which latter word is undefined, even if they’re not at a football match or travelling to/from one. I think there’s little doubt that Shane could be interpreted as having brought the club into disrepute - several times. Should he go? No, of course not. But, arguably double standards...

Obviously, as I’ve said in previous posts, SD was a teenager when he made the posts - he was a fool, but we all have been.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Like an earlier poster, I think if the best you've got as a journalist is to trawl though years-old tweets of footballers hoping to catch them out, you're not very good at what you do. A trained monkey could do it, and it all smacks of desperate and poor.

But we are also seeing the classic rose-tinted 'When it's one of ours' response from some people here. Andre Gray, in similar circumstances over past tweets, got banned for four matches in 2016 and if I remember rightly he got a lot less sympathy on that occasion on NSC.

Andre Gray's tweets were a great deal more oiffensive than these ones IIRC

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hmm - I dunno. You’re probably right, but if any club were to make a statement over this, it would be ours.

Also, if they don’t, isn’t there a certain amount of double standards at play? Fans can be banned for “bringing the club into disrepute”, which latter word is undefined, even if they’re not at a football match or travelling to/from one. I think there’s little doubt that Shane could be interpreted as having brought the club into disrepute - several times. Should he go? No, of course not. But, arguably double standards...

Obviously, as I’ve said in previous posts, SD was a teenager when he made the posts - he was a fool, but we all have been.

But none of this has occurred whilst he was a BHAFC player. Where's the club statement from Everton?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But none of this has occurred whilst he was a BHAFC player. Where's the club statement from Everton?

True - but my point was the potential double standards, given that the club can ban a fan even if their behaviour wasn’t at a game or on the route to/from a game. So - if a fan brings the club into disrepute in Tesco’s, they could get a ban. Is that so very far from Shane’s situation?

This is all said tongue in cheek, but I think there’s a smidgen of truth...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There won’t be the consequences you mention. CH will select his CB’s on playing merit.

Maybe nothing pro active. But it won't help his cause. Hughton is a man of principal and I doubt he views his players being in the papers for non footballing matters as a good thing. Not least because it distracts from the football. Shane has been in the papers for sleeping with some Worthing slapper whilst married, an alleged affair with Katie Price and now this. However you look at it this has to be building a certain amount of irritation from within the club who pride themselves on their conduct. It's not quite three strikes and you're out but if you have players of similar ability I suspect Hughton will chose the one that is less hassle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe nothing pro active. But it won't help his cause. Hughton is a man of principal and I doubt he views his players being in the papers for non footballing matters as a good thing. Not least because it distracts from the football. Shane has been in the papers for sleeping with some Worthing slapper whilst married, an alleged affair with Katie Price and now this. However you look at it this has to be building a certain amount of irritation from within the club who pride themselves on their conduct. It's not quite three strikes and you're out but if you have players of similar ability I suspect Hughton will chose the one that is less hassle.

Pretty sure Hughton will pick whoever he feels improves the team. Even the Limitations Act 1980 allows for a statute period such as in Tort - 6 years, contracts underhand - 6 years, personal injury - 3 years, defamation - 1 year. A tweet 6 years ago, deleted and apologised for would appear to be case closed.

While it may irritate Hughton, as long as Duffy does it on the pitch, then I think he'll manage him accordingly. Even Sir Alex tolerated some incredible behaviour if the player strengthened his team. He was only ruthless if he thought he had a better option at hand.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Katie Price? Katie ****ing Price?!!

Is that really the best that Duffy can do? If it is, I AM ****ing outraged. FFS Shane you can do better than that vile ugly old sloshbucket.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
True - but my point was the potential double standards, given that the club can ban a fan even if their behaviour wasn’t at a game or on the route to/from a game. So - if a fan brings the club into disrepute in Tesco’s, they could get a ban. Is that so very far from Shane’s situation?

This is all said tongue in cheek, but I think there’s a smidgen of truth...

Is ****ing Katie Price a disciplinary matter?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I've said it before, but it really comes to something when The Sun takes the moral high ground.

and the moral high ground on homophobic language used in the past in relation to Brighton. Perhaps they should look in the mirror? (No pun intended)

sun.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
and the moral high ground on homophobic language used in the past in relation to Brighton. Perhaps they should look in the mirror? (No pun intended)

View attachment 97128

Good point.

I'm not condoning Shane's tweets, but if social media was around in the 1960/70s – when, let's fact it, political correctness wasn't even a 'thing' – there there would be a LOT of people worried about comments they had made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here