Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The whole 'parking' thing does my head in. Whenever I've driven down to the town, I've NEVER failed to get a parking space. It might be on one of the roads off High Street, or Pond Road, but I don't have an issue with that. The trouble is people are lazy and expect to be able to pull up pretty much outside the shop they're going to. Those days are long gone.

Sorry, that was clumsily written (I was born there too, in '78). I meant the part of the 'old' hospital that was redeveloped and now has a whole load of houses on it. Some of it's still there but, like [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] says not a lot...

You maybe have a point re parking ..I wish my experience was the same as yours ..having said that the times I tend to visit the town I get on my bike …the more important infrastructure things like doctors surgeries are creaking and that’s prior to covid

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When you can't truly define "Need" then that is your downfall. You can't see that there is no true "Need" and only Demand and IKEAs are the result of that. Zen, man, Zen!

Ha! As I said, we don’t need an IKEA. Some people demand it. And IKEA demands it’s profit. With no meaningful regard to the environmental cost.
“Because the demand is there” is no longer a justifiable reason for ruining the environment, local and global. We cannot afford to be like that anymore. But profit and the demand for cheap products drive development.
Humans demand a lot of things we have zero need for.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Ha! As I said, we don’t need an IKEA. Some people demand it. And IKEA demands it’s profit. With no meaningful regard to the environmental cost.
“Because the demand is there” is no longer a justifiable reason for ruining the environment, local and global. We cannot afford to be like that anymore. But profit and the demand for cheap products drive development.

So it's all demand and everything can be rationalized. If no "needs" all we can say is we demand the current environment. You are demanding the environment stay reasonably like it is now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So it's all demand and everything can be rationalized. If no "needs" all we can say is we demand the current environment. You are demanding the environment stay reasonably like it is now.

Are you a student? Smoke a lot of weed? The environment NEEDS to be protected.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

A normal NIMBY Shoreham view, thankfully the majority of people with this type of mentality are fading away.

Perhaps Ricardos should be removed, the BHAFC training facility never built and the Airport should be shut.

The economic benefits of IKEA are very good

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A normal NIMBY Shoreham view, thankfully the majority of people with this type of mentality are fading away.

Perhaps Ricardos should be removed, the BHAFC training facility never built and the Airport should be shut.

The economic benefits of IKEA are very good

Small fry compared to the traffic IKEA will cause and the infrastructure issues the housing development will cause. The facilities you mention generate relatively small amounts of traffic.
As I have stated before, I am stating my preference that these sort of things don't get built. But I see both sides of the argument.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Small fry compared to the traffic IKEA will cause and the infrastructure issues the housing development will cause. The facilities you mention generate relatively small amounts of traffic.
As I have stated before, I am stating my preference that these sort of things don't get built. But I see both sides of the argument.

Poppycock, you state we don't need an IKEA

Are you a spokesperson for the whole of Shoreham?

If so since when as quite a few other people who live in Shoreham are very positive about this development and the economic benefits it brings

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Poppycock, you state we don't need an IKEA

Are you a spokesperson for the whole of Shoreham?

If so since when as quite a few other people who live in Shoreham are very positive about this development and the economic benefits it brings

I'm not sure where your aggression is coming from. Or your assumptions? I have clearly stated that it would be my preference for it not to be built and the reasons I feel this way. As I have said, I see both sides of the argument and that other people have legitimate reasons why they think it's a good thing. That's the nature of these things. No need to spill your sherry :)

NB - We don't need an Ikea. It's not essential. But would be a good job generator, that's a given.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Has anyone considered the anxiety and stress the assembly of flat pack furniture is going to cause the residents of Shoreham ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Put into the mix that Aldi are looking for a site in Shoreham about 1.5 acres in size and able to accommodate a 20,000-square-foot store with around 100 parking spaces, ideally on a prominent main road and with good visibility and access.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Has anyone considered the anxiety and stress the assembly of flat pack furniture is going to cause the residents of Shoreham ?

Could be a business opportunity… Might be time to give up my desk slave job to build wardrobes for the people who wouldn’t know what to do with a wooden dowel.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not sure where your aggression is coming from. Or your assumptions? I have clearly stated that it would be my preference for it not to be built and the reasons I feel this way. As I have said, I see both sides of the argument and that other people have legitimate reasons why they think it's a good thing. That's the nature of these things. No need to spill your sherry :)

NB - We don't need an Ikea. It's not essential. But would be a good job generator, that's a given.

So why shouldn't the local economy benefit or should Shoreham be placed in a time capsule?

BTW I don't drink sherry so who is making assumptions now.....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So why shouldn't the local economy benefit or should Shoreham be placed in a time capsule?

BTW I don't drink sherry so who is making assumptions now.....

Where did I say it shouldn't? I'm not sure how you can argue against a preference. And it seems you aren't either.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Put into the mix that Aldi are looking for a site in Shoreham about 1.5 acres in size and able to accommodate a 20,000-square-foot store with around 100 parking spaces, ideally on a prominent main road and with good visibility and access.

There is a nice big space for that opposite Halfords, bring it on

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Perfect spot for it. Would be a good addition to that stretch of road.

What is actually going to happen there?

I heard a Premier Inn was mooted but all they seem to have done is clear the area and told the scrap merchant further along to reduce his pile of scrap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here