Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

phoenix

May 18, 2009
You are correct....of course it'll all back up from the next roundabout

Exactly! the reason the phasing in my opinion is deliberately out (wrong, red too long, etc) to slow traffic , as it were. To reduce backing up from Manor Roundabout.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So friends of the earth have done a count on one of the warmest weekends of the year and not extrapolated that data at all?

To be fair Notters, they've not been paid to support a major planning application. The extrapolated data to record weekdays, weekends, and the time of year should have been undertaken by the applicant. It is no good complaining about the quality of an objector's data if the originally supplied data is no better.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So friends of the earth have done a count on one of the warmest weekends of the year and not extrapolated that data at all?

And surely if it's one of the warmest weekends of the year, the number of cyclists/walkers could be low. I certainly don't like cycling any sort of distance in the heat and I'm sure I'm not alone

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
And surely if it's one of the warmest weekends of the year, the number of cyclists/walkers could be low. I certainly don't like cycling any sort of distance in the heat and I'm sure I'm not alone

Certainly not my thinking but there you go. All seems a bit irrelevant anyway. The existing route isn't pleasant to use, this should be better if properly designed.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be fair Notters, they've not been paid to support a major planning application. The extrapolated data to record weekdays, weekends, and the time of year should have been undertaken by the applicant. It is no good complaining about the quality of an objector's data if the originally supplied data is no better.

True, but the Transport Consultants will have collected the data they need to assess what they need to assess according to planning policy and relevant guidance (e.g. the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
True, but the Transport Consultants will have collected the data they need to assess what they need to assess according to planning policy and relevant guidance (e.g. the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges).

The design manual is just that, a manual. If you've got the data you wanted which is easily achieved under the guidance, then you can design a junction without a specific set of road users in mind. They've gone at this with the assumption that there isn't much demand to Coombes, and they've provided a slip road from the large roundabout further down the A27. That may well adhere to all the principles in the DMRB, but it ignores a set of users completely.

For those that haven't seen it:

https://bricycles.org.uk/2017/09/07/coombes-a27-crossing-at-risk-of-closure/

new-monks-farm-overview.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The design manual is just that, a manual. If you've got the data you wanted which is easily achieved under the guidance, then you can design a junction without a specific set of road users in mind. They've gone at this with the assumption that there isn't much demand to Coombes, and they've provided a slip road from the large roundabout further down the A27. That may well adhere to all the principles in the DMRB, but it ignores a set of users completely.

Slightly off topic..bottom left small roundabout is that the exit round from the new housing development?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Slightly off topic..bottom left small roundabout is that the exit round from the new housing development?

The 2 exits from that small roundabout bottom left are the housing and the Ikea. The next roundabout connects the existing airport road to this junction, the larger roundabout connects it all to the A27.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And that’s the only exit from Ikea and the housing development?

Long term yes. Short term there will be a link to the Lancing Training Ground access road, and a road further up, however these will become 'emergency vehicle' access only once the development is completed. So that is 600 houses, the Ikea and the proposed country park all accessed onto the A27 at that roundabout.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That wouldn't have made. A perfect place for a football ground.....what!!!

Were is [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION] when you need him?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

May be a dumb question but assume the pedestrian crossings would remain so that one can access the downs from the airport side?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here