Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 338
  1. #111
    Who's Next? The Large One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    97.2FM
    Posts
    51,493


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardboard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lancing Business Park i guess
    Got you. Well, that's quite a way from this development too.
    The Albion Roar on Twitter
    New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #112
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      16,905


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Superphil View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Fair enough, I love the way they conveniently just crop off the roundabout for Grinstead lane on that plan. That roundabout is carnage every morning and evening, and for long periods during the day, partly as it is the main route for commercial vehicles being directed to the Lancing Business Park and because is is the main way out of Lancing for commuters.

      So you will have 2 major roundabouts within 400m of each other, on a road that is gridlocked every morning for 2 hours, with a couple of hundred extra cars at peak times at least, it just is not going to be any better, it fatalistically can only be worse than it is at the moment.

      What is needed is a bypass for Worthing, up over the downs, along Long Furlong, round the back of Findon, behind Sompting Abbots, and then drop down to this new roundabout before going on to the flyover. I guess the lack of profitability and the national park would put a stop to that ever happening, even though that is what is NEEDED.
      The South Downs will never be destroyed again in the way parts of the Brighton Bypass did.

      A more southerly Worthing bypass might be the only option, with a tunnel or two. Costly.
    • #113
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      16,905


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by shaolinpunk View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As a nation we should be more open to building upwards
      You're probably right, but people complained on here that everyone's entitled to have their own private garden.
    • #114
      Members Boys 9d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Lancing
      Posts
      998


      0 Not allowed!
      The roundabout replacing the traffic lights on the map shown on a previous page seems to do away with access to the Coombes road ?
    • #115
      Sienna's Heaven Seagull73's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Not Lewes
      Posts
      3,340


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The South Downs will never be destroyed again in the way parts of the Brighton Bypass did.

      A more southerly Worthing bypass might be the only option, with a tunnel or two. Costly.
      South Downs destroyed? Dear oh dear. I sincerely hope you are wrong about Worthing because that is the single biggest barrier to development and progression in this part of the world (OK, the absolute dire situation of the Beddingham to Polegate road is a very close second).

      We cannot continue to blithely think that, as our population continues to grow, that we can somehow rely on an outdated strategy of improving public transport. We are a nation of drivers, and sooner or later somebody has to respect that and do the development.

      I can only take it you have never lived in Brighton - otherwise you wouldn't make such a daft comment about the bypass. Can you possibly imagine where we would be without it now - the thought is bordering on the vomit-inducing.
    • #116
      Dullard Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Beside the seaside, beside the sea
      Posts
      39,872


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Superphil View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well, as someone who sits in the traffic every morning I shall be delighted when the new roundabout has been built and the lights removed then if you think it will be an improvement.

      With more than 50% of the commercial vehicles (Articulated trucks, lorries, vans, and staff commuting) heading to LBP and with 2 roundabouts to negotiate on the A27, less than a mile apart, together with the cars from the new housing estate, and the IKEA commercial vehicles, I just can't see it being an improvement, I can only see it making the traffic congestion worse.
      Living where you do, I'm surprised you don't use the A272 & Steyning bypass.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
    • #117

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nixonator View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I feel like it's blatantly obvious to say but I'll say it anyway, the benefits are not going to be significant whilst we remain in the Premier League. If you are supremely confident that we will be here indefinitely and/or bounce back immediately within the term of parachute payments OR TB is immortal and will be here forever then I'll glady agree with you. Also, something else blatantly obvious, paying TB back out of the current income we are receiving (as some other moron suggested) is going to directly reduce our chances of remaining in the league and thus continuing to repay him.

      This project has the long term sustainability of the club in mind, and will be enormously beneficial if we are pushing again in the Championship without parachute payments. Of course Bloom and Perry are not going to outline exactly how we can 'cook the books' as Gibson at boro and many others have done in the past, just as he isn't going to outline the benefits to us of owning a Belgian club.

      The club have directly asked for the fans backing on this, judging by recent history I'm at a loss as to how anyone could possibly believe it's a project of self-interest for TB, even if you do not understand the implications.
      This was first proposed when we were in the Championship, when it would have been of greater benefit as you allude to. Possibly the reason why it was originally going through the Albion, rather than through one of TB's other companies, is so that it would allow us to get around FFP and reach the PL and the profits that come with that. Now that we're in the PL, it doesn't seem as vital.

      TB is still young. No one knows how long he'll be around for of course, but he has talked about leaving a legacy for his children, so I'm pretty confident we'll be fine whatever happens. Further, his loans are interest free and automatically get converted to shares if they don't get repaid (by 2025 I seem to recall, I may be incorrect).

      You say this other poster is a moron for suggesting we pay TB back out of the current income we are receiving, but this will happen regardless. It has already been said that the club will begin to make repayments back to TB now that we are in the PL.

      You still haven't explained the enormous benefits to the future of the club, at least not that I can see. MP said said the club will make a not spectacular developer's profit. Presumably this is a one-off profit. How does that contribute to the long-term sustainability of the club?

      It sounds like a project of self-interest for TB, because MP said it will allow us to repay some of the loans to him. And if those loans don't get paid off, they get converted to shares. I have no problem with TB wanting to be repaid of course, that's pretty fair considering what he's done for us. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't have an opinion on whether, outside of the Albion, the project's benefits outweigh it's disadvantages, as I haven't been following the proposals and debates closely (although I have seen there have been lots of objections). But people shouldn't just blindly support it, if they would otherwise disagree with the project, simply because it will benefit the Albion and/or TB. That's a bit tribal, IMO.
    • #118

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Superphil View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      If there is a housing problem why haven’t they built a few hundred residences at Tevill Gate? It’s been available for development for over 20 years, is on a brownfield site, and has excellent rail and road connections.
      TG, which is being renamed to Station Square, is currently being knocked down by the council to speed up its development.

      The new development, which they hope to complete by 2021, will contain homes, a supermarket, restaurants/cafes and a gym.

      www.ourstationsquare.com

      Quote Originally Posted by LamieRobertson View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Just the twenty years then
      I think planning permission has been granted for other projects in the past, but the developers never followed through.
    • #119
      Ralf Minge Superphil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      In a pile of football shirts
      Posts
      22,280


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Living where you do, I'm surprised you don't use the A272 & Steyning bypass.
      I do use the steyning bypass, and get on the A27 at shoreham, the queue in towards Lancing is bearable, but it’s the queue the other way that is a farce, every morning the queue joins up all the way to Swandean on the other side of Worthing, all because of the Sussex Pad lights. If they weren’t there, the queue wouldn’t join up and there would be much freer flowing traffic. This was categorically proven when after the shoreham aircrash those lights were closed for a number of weeks, and the traffic flowed massively better, and the queue didn’t join up all along the A27 through to the other side of Worthing.
    • #120
      Who's Next? The Large One's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      97.2FM
      Posts
      51,493


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seagull73 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      South Downs destroyed? Dear oh dear. I sincerely hope you are wrong about Worthing because that is the single biggest barrier to development and progression in this part of the world (OK, the absolute dire situation of the Beddingham to Polegate road is a very close second).

      We cannot continue to blithely think that, as our population continues to grow, that we can somehow rely on an outdated strategy of improving public transport. We are a nation of drivers, and sooner or later somebody has to respect that and do the development.

      I can only take it you have never lived in Brighton - otherwise you wouldn't make such a daft comment about the bypass. Can you possibly imagine where we would be without it now - the thought is bordering on the vomit-inducing.
      Brighton desperately needed a bypass - bizarre to think that Viaduct Road and Upper Lewes Road were once part of the A27. They're still part of the A23 and A270 now...

      We can improve public transport. Would love to see the Lewes to Uckfield line re-connected (highly unlikely - but that's Beeching for you). The bus network is pretty good in Brighton & Hove, and even getting to you in the sticks is fairly easy. It's also a bit wayward to say we're a nation of drivers - not everyone is.

      However, much as a Worthing bypass is needed, its route isn't obvious. To make it worthwhile it has to be a Worthing AND Lancing bypass. And that means going through the South Downs rather than over it. Doable, and even environmentally better than huge great cuttings - but not an expense the government is prepared to foot, sadly.
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •