Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree that it wouldn't be major, but I can imagine that it would be a right PITA and a lot of hard work and time to get something sorted and agreed, and probably not worth it as not having it wouldn't be a reason for refusal.

Between them, I can't believe they can't concoct a plan whereby - for example - access comes from a northern exit on the proposed roundabout, which immediately turns to run parallel to the A27 until such time as it meets with the current road heading to the College.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
New Monks Farm Development Ltd is a subsidiary of BHAFC. The club are a stakeholder in the development and therefore stand to profit from it.

Are we talking a moderate sum or a hefty one ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I wouldn't know. But 600 houses and an Ikea, school, community centre, huge outlay in getting this to planning and pulling the deal together. I doubt the club have done this out of philanthrophy.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Between them, I can't believe they can't concoct a plan whereby - for example - access comes from a northern exit on the proposed roundabout, which immediately turns to run parallel to the A27 until such time as it meets with the current road heading to the College.

Not the cheapest idea, but they should have done this when they built the by-pass in the first place. Traffic lights were always a silly idea. It might discourage car drivers using Coombes Road as alternative route to Steyning (one of the three reasons drivers use the road), used by the lycra brigade. Maniac drivers speeding down country roads are a danger to cyclists. As a local non-lycra cyclist I want the towpath improved per se. Not as an alternative to the traffic lights.

Annington House is on the road. Looks a good property for a super star. No longer for sale at £4 million though.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn't know. But 600 houses and an Ikea, school, community centre, huge outlay in getting this to planning and pulling the deal together. I doubt the club have done this out of philanthrophy.

This, completely. What's the end game? Ask yourself how much money does one man/club need? At what point does it become pure speculative greed?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This, completely. What's the end game? Ask yourself how much money does one man/club need? At what point does it become pure speculative greed?

I thought it was the club that would make money out of this, generating money for Albion in the Community and the Squads not solely Mr B

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

I think it is more a case of being able to get a return on his interest free, loan/investment of 300m + to BHA, rather than pure greed.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

As Basil Fawlty might say, my car has a steering wheel. It wouldn’t beyond me to drive to the next roundabout, go round it and come back if I wanted to visit or leave Lancing College. I sometimes do that when using the Holmbush Tesco. Until such time as personal teleportation devices are invented, I’m willing to accept minor inconvenience, but perhaps others aren’t. Life must be a series of constant frustrations for them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well maybe we should spend not beyond our means, then the club will not have to negatively impact people outside of the game

What a load of rubbish and a ridiculous view as it is well within TB capabilities and if as in the previous chairman he didnt spend any money, that he had, we would still be at Withdean.in Div 1 or 2. It is called ambition and unfortunately some snowflakes are jealous of his financial ability. and aims and wish to stop him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What a load of rubbish and a ridiculous view as it is well within TB capabilities and if as in the previous chairman he didnt spend any money, that he had, we would still be at Withdean.in Div 1 or 2. It is called ambition and unfortunately some snowflakes are jealous of his financial ability. and aims and wish to stop him.

Ive always thought snowflake is a stupid term ..seems worse coming from someone of your age ..but I agree with your view over Tony Bloom and this isn’t a BHA investment as far as I am aware

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just seems to me like a totally unnecessary thing for BHAFC to get involved in at all. Or am I missing something?

IF part of a (corporation tax) group structure, new tax losses incurred by one company (the football side) can be offset against taxable profits of another in the group (the housing developer).

That may not be the structure or reason, but that advantage is possible,

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Perhaps [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] Hark meant, TB developing the site in a company on his own, as ŵith his other property interests, completely unconnected to the Albion?

Didn't he buy that land along with the training ground next door, which might explain why it comes under a subsidiary of the club?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
New Monks Farm Development Ltd is a subsidiary of BHAFC. The club are a stakeholder in the development and therefore stand to profit from it.

I thought it was the club that would make money out of this, generating money for Albion in the Community and the Squads not solely Mr B

Someone said before there were going to be enormous benefits to the future of the club, but I'm still unclear as to what they are. I'll just copy and paste my earlier replies:

I haven't been following this closely. What are the enormous benefits to the future of the club?

Martin Perry said at the time this was proposed:

"Clearly there is a profit. It’s not spectacular, but we will make a developer’s profit.

If somebody says to me we’re just doing it to make money, the fact is Tony Bloom has put more than £200 million into this football club so if we can repay some of that, or reduce that burden, as well as all these other benefits, then I don’t feel guilty about that."

No statement on what the profit would be (perhaps elsewhere), but it doesn't sound like something that benefits the club enormously, but rather helps pay off some of the debts owed to TB. Now we are in the PL, the club is profitable (obviously no guarantees we will stay there) - and so TB will not continue to put money into the club.

Surely people shouldn't blindly support something they would normally disagree with just because it benefits the club?

This was first proposed when we were in the Championship, when it would have been of greater benefit as you allude to. Possibly the reason why it was originally going through the Albion, rather than through one of TB's other companies, is so that it would allow us to get around FFP and reach the PL and the profits that come with that. Now that we're in the PL, it doesn't seem as vital.

TB is still young. No one knows how long he'll be around for of course, but he has talked about leaving a legacy for his children, so I'm pretty confident we'll be fine whatever happens. Further, his loans are interest free and automatically get converted to shares if they don't get repaid (by 2025 I seem to recall, I may be incorrect).

You say this other poster is a moron for suggesting we pay TB back out of the current income we are receiving, but this will happen regardless. It has already been said that the club will begin to make repayments back to TB now that we are in the PL.

You still haven't explained the enormous benefits to the future of the club, at least not that I can see. MP said said the club will make a not spectacular developer's profit. Presumably this is a one-off profit. How does that contribute to the long-term sustainability of the club?

It sounds like a project of self-interest for TB, because MP said it will allow us to repay some of the loans to him. And if those loans don't get paid off, they get converted to shares. I have no problem with TB wanting to be repaid of course, that's pretty fair considering what he's done for us. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't have an opinion on whether, outside of the Albion, the project's benefits outweigh it's disadvantages, as I haven't been following the proposals and debates closely (although I have seen there have been lots of objections). But people shouldn't just blindly support it, if they would otherwise disagree with the project, simply because it will benefit the Albion and/or TB. That's a bit tribal, IMO.

I think it is more a case of being able to get a return on his interest free, loan/investment of 300m + to BHA, rather than pure greed.

That's what it sounds like to me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here