Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It would seem that , were this IKEA proposal approved , that yours and all residents within this area would have a diminished quality of life , either by much increased traffic passing through your residential area , or restricted access by your own vehicles ,plus increased traffic on the main trunk road ,My son was considering going to your local college on boundstone lane , which we decided against , almost exclusively due to the volume of traffic on the A27 ...

If only more people would cycle.:thumbsup:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I do live on said potential rat run. AFAIK said rat run will be closed off after construction although still usable for a bus route so I have no idea how that will be monitored

A "bus gate", i.e. an automatic rising bollard, but only once the IKEA opens or the second phase of housing is built.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It would seem that , were this IKEA proposal approved , that yours and all residents within this area would have a diminished quality of life , either by much increased traffic passing through your residential area , or restricted access by your own vehicles ,plus increased traffic on the main trunk road ,My son was considering going to your local college on boundstone lane , which we decided against , almost exclusively due to the volume of traffic on the A27 ...

Not quality of education then?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I do live on said potential rat run. AFAIK said rat run will be closed off after construction although still usable for a bus route so I have no idea how that will be monitored

Probably something like this:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Very,very surprised that Labour Councillors spoke against the plan.

After all the Labour Party wants to build a million new homes, and 'will be building at least 100,000 council and housing association homes a year for genuinely affordable rent or sale' (last year's manifesto)

Where exactly do they indeed to build them if not places like this?

The same Labour Councillor also proposed rejection on the grounds of 'the effect on Lancing College.' I never knew the Labour Party was so protective of private education.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

After all the Labour Party wants to build a million new homes, and 'will be building at least 100,000 council and housing association homes a year for genuinely affordable rent or sale' (last year's manifesto)

The same Labour Councillor also proposed rejection on the grounds of 'the effect on Lancing College.' I never knew the Labour Party was so protective of private education.

I think the 'vote for this = not getting elected again' sways some councillor's minds in these situations. Not like a party whip turns up to pull them inline behind policy.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The planning committee has moved to defer the decision on the grounds that Ikea was unable to comply with how its development can protect the environment. Developers are asked to come back with a more detailed plan on how its proposal will enhance the environment.
Further, the committee asks developers to meet with Lancing College to discuss how the development will not impact on the school.
The council has not confirmed a date for the next meeting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think the 'vote for this = not getting elected again' sways some councillor's minds in these situations. Not like a party whip turns up to pull them inline behind policy.

By the sounds of things - and I admit I'm purely going on the report above - that the key issues seem to be IKEA's environmental considerations and access to Lancing College.

Not even the antis (and they include Lancing Parish Council and Tim Loughton) are mentioning the housing any more, as that would seen to be petty NIMBYism and/or anti-housing.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
You have to wonder as well about all the disruption to motorists on the A27 whilst they build it all. Got to factor in at least 18 months of unbearable disruption on A27 during rush hour.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

At the local level, most councillors from all the parties side with Nimbies.

There are far more votes in that, that siding with land owners and the homeless who might move into the new homes.

This is a general comment, after closely following several planning applications in Brighton, Hove, Lewes and Haywards Heath.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You have to wonder as well about all the disruption to motorists on the A27 whilst they build it all. Got to factor in at least 18 months of unbearable disruption on A27 during rush hour.

Why is that as there was no disrution when we built the training centre. Just a case of people wanting progression provided it doesnt affect or inconvenience them at all.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
By the sounds of things - and I admit I'm purely going on the report above - that the key issues seem to be IKEA's environmental considerations and access to Lancing College.

Not even the antis (and they include Lancing Parish Council and Tim Loughton) are mentioning the housing any more, as that would seen to be petty NIMBYism and/or anti-housing.

Might be tricky to solve the Lancing College access as really that would involve a new road in the South Downs National Park, although I don't think the access issue can be a reason to refuse this application.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Why is that as there was no disrution when we built the training centre. Just a case of people wantiung progression provided it doesnt affect or inconvenience them at all.

Well the training centre didn't include 600 houses, a major new roundabout on the A27 and a modified junction on the A27 :shrug:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Might be tricky to solve the Lancing College access as really that would involve a new road in the South Downs National Park, although I don't think the access issue can be a reason to refuse this application.

It doesn't need to be a major road, or even a major junction. I'd imagine the SDNPA would allow an access road, to latch on to the current road, provided it didn't spoil the fabric of the area etc. Even a spur road off the roundabout ought to suffice - it's not as though it's a major traffic route.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It doesn't need to be a major road, or even a major junction. I'd imagine the SDNPA would allow an access road, to latch on to the current road, provided it didn't spoil the fabric of the area etc. Even a spur road off the roundabout ought to suffice - it's not as though it's a major traffic route.

I agree that it wouldn't be major, but I can imagine that it would be a right PITA and a lot of hard work and time to get something sorted and agreed, and probably not worth it as not having it wouldn't be a reason for refusal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well the training centre didn't include 600 houses, a major new roundabout on the A27 and a modified junction on the A27 :shrug:

Obviously the road changing will have an affect but 18 months as the housebuilding will not be done on the A27 but probabl;y with access from another road.as happened with the building of the centre.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here