Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3946474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 542
  1. #481
    Dullard Thunder Bolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beside the seaside, beside the sea
    Posts
    40,920


    0 Not allowed!
    94% of the UK is non-urban.

    https://fullfact.org/economy/has-92-...ot-been-built/

    This plan also includes 24 hectares of country park (the size of Buckingham Park)
    Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
    When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #482
      U & I R listening to KAOS Eggmundo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      3,462


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by surrey jim View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What is the time frame on when works are likely to start?
      Well the IKEA should be up by the end of the week.
      Cheers
    • #483
      The oldest known computer
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Location
      Ash Green - Surrey / Hampshire Borders
      Posts
      5,639


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Eggmundo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well the IKEA should be up by the end of the week.
      With a few bits left over
    • #484
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      SHOREHAM BY SEA
      Posts
      25,816


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It’s just awful isn’t it. How did this get through!?
      Permission was given to build a hotel which was never going t happen...shortly afterwards they started on the flats..as a side issue have any sold? Its incomplete and its so far taken 2 years?
    • #485
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      at home
      Posts
      40,979


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Antikythera Mechanism View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      With a few bits left over
      ....a set of screws, a piece of facial wood, some dowels and Allen key.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado
    • #486
      Members Voroshilov's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Jibrovia
      Posts
      4,885


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Look at the Brighton Road development in Shoreham. Sorry but it’s just wrong. I do get your point but there has to be middle ground. Just look at it.
      they're looking rather good.
      I trust no one, not even myself
    • #487
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      24,686


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Look at the Brighton Road development in Shoreham. Sorry but it’s just wrong. I do get your point but there has to be middle ground. Just look at it.
      is that realy what you're offended by? should see what they done east side of Battersea power station. you're complaining about 540 homes in a riverside development, presumably replacing derelict land? as before, if not here, where?
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
    • #488
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      18,253


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Migration is in the thousands not millions. It also includes foreign students who go back home after completing their studies.

      https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/


      Population increases have far more to do with better health, lower infant mortality and people living longer.
      Tell the doctors to allow us to smoke, drink and laze around more.
      You're wrong I'm afraid. Net migration over the last 21 years has been in the hundreds of thousands per year, x 21 years.

      The undisputed facts are that there are currently 3.9 million citizens from other EU countries living in the UK, with 0.9 millions Brits living elsewhere in the EU. With millions of non-EU citizens. Sources: ONS, Fullfacts, BBC.

      Name:  IMG_2883.PNG
Views: 187
Size:  223.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_2884.PNG
Views: 183
Size:  910.0 KB

      No one disputes the numbers, just whether it's beneficial or detrimental.

      Why would you want to deny the facts?
    • #489
      Broad Blue & White stripe perseus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Sūþseaxna
      Posts
      22,108


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      if not Lancing or Shoreham, if no high rises, where do you suggest we house people?
      London. The high rises are only attractive to Londoners and then only because they have a parking space.


      Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Hove = just a little gold necklace stripe
    • #490
      Broad Blue & White stripe perseus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Sūþseaxna
      Posts
      22,108


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The original feeling locally was one of rampant NIMBYism - traffic, flooding, undesirables due to affordable housing etc. Then the legal arguments were made that - in line with the Local Plan - this site was earmarked for housing. Then IKEA came on board, and traffic, low-paid, unskilled jobs attracting the wrong sort of people was put about.

      Then cyclists, who would prefer to keep the psychotically dangerous Sussex Pad junction, started howling. Then people with nothing to do with the airport started whining about airspace and helicopter training.

      The developers have mitigated every single concern. The traffic flow will be improved, cyclists have a new route to cross the A27 (even though the opponents lied about that), the flooding issues will be dealt with and maintained, IKEA pay the Living Wage (rather than the government's 'Living Wage'), and offer training and opportunities.

      There is also the contradictory argument put about that the developers - Brighton & Hove Albion - are nothing more than greedy charlatans, with the same opponents making the counter-argument that the project is not financially viable.

      Last night, pretty much every argument against the scheme was a lesson in life-raft clinging. If they had genuine concerns about the site that were not mitigated, they did not raise them. Instead - and I use the chair of Lancing Parish Council as being the worst - they used hysteria ("I live in South Lancing, and I am scared - literally scared stiff - of this development"), fanciful claims which were not tested, and a sense of being disingenuous to the point of lying ("I represent all of Lancing...") in their opposition.

      One of the councillors who voted against it did so on the principle that 'a better application might come along...', as if that was a reason on its own to refuse permission (it isn't).

      My take is that I am not a rampant supporter of the project, though new housing is very much needed, but I never heard or saw a good enough argument to object to it either.
      NO opportunity to suggest improvements to the scheme because of the NIMBYs.


      Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Hove = just a little gold necklace stripe

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •