Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Between £150 - £170 mil it's been reported. [emoji50]

Where has that been reported?

Martin Perry said: "Clearly there is a profit. It’s not spectacular, but we will make a developer’s profit."

I'm sure they'll be hefty profits for a number of different parties - but those profits won't all be going to TB/the club.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Where has that been reported?

Martin Perry said: "Clearly there is a profit. It’s not spectacular, but we will make a developer’s profit."

I'm sure they'll be hefty profits for a number of different parties - but those profits won't all be going to TB/the club.
That's the price to construct not what they will make in profit. [emoji106]

Edit: I thought the question was how much to construct, reading back I see it was for profit.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Country Park in the environmental improvements. Albion in the Community fits in with the Tory policies that private enterprise pays and manages it. Clever management makes it pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_park
These parks vary tremendously from one to another, and really have only their purpose in common: to provide easy access to the countryside for those living in the towns and suburbs. They do not necessarily have any great nature conservation interest, although often this is the case.

This could give the plan the edge. In business terms it is the entertainment industry.

It simple terms it gives the public access to land that would otherwise fenced off as private property.

The IKEA vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people. This includes doing what we can to help create a world where we take better care of the environment, the earth’s resources, and each other. We know this continuous improvement is a never-ending job, and that we are sometimes part of the problem. But we work hard to be part of the solution.

https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_JP/the_ikea_story/people_and_the_environment/index.html

Lets see if it is more than words!

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The IKEA vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people. This includes doing what we can to help create a world where we take better care of the environment, the earth’s resources, and each other. We know this continuous improvement is a never-ending job, and that we are sometimes part of the problem. But we work hard to be part of the solution.

https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_JP/the_ikea_story/people_and_the_environment/index.html

Lets see if it is more than words!

The IKEA vision is to return maximum value for their shareholders. I don't have an issue with that, but I'd rather they just say it how it is rather than dress it up in words that are more flimsey than their shit furniture.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The IKEA vision is to return maximum value for their shareholders. I don't have an issue with that, but I'd rather they just say it how it is rather than dress it up in words that are more flimsey than their shit furniture.

I agree. It doesn't seem a sustainable model, it seems a bit Crystal Palace. Best informed comments have their doubts. It seems just like flashy coloured retail warehouse to me.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Did you watch Flat Pack Empire on BBC? Think it is still on iPlayer. Thought it was actually quite interesting regardless of you views on their product. Of course yes they have a profit to make, but how they go about it and the ethos that underlines that is quite interesting and different to how many companies operate.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Did you watch Flat Pack Empire on BBC? Think it is still on iPlayer. Thought it was actually quite interesting regardless of you views on their product. Of course yes they have a profit to make, but how they go about it and the ethos that underlines that is quite interesting and different to how many companies operate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Flat+Pack+Empire

On iPlayer
Not available

PS: complaints about the unfriendly nature of the IKEA Greenwich store, no cycling provision, no wheelchair dropped pavements etc. More about the details than the overall concept.

PS2: I've got some fall to pieces furniture at home. Doesn't take a battering like old furniture. Some horrid creaking sounds yesterday.

Last edited:

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS

sorry just read this … but IKEA doesnt have any shareholders and isn't on the stock exchange. IKEA does however need to make a profit to continue to invest and expand. So yes a return on invest is very important. No Profit and The Vision vanishes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Next up...

The date for a meeting to decide on a deferred planning application to build 600 new homes and an IKEA superstore at New Monks Farm has been announced.

Adur District Council’s Planning Committee will meet on Wednesday 3rd October 2018 at the 500 seat capacity Sir Robert Woodard Academy sports hall in Lancing to decide on the application.

The proposal from New Monks Farm Development, a subsidiary of Brighton & Hove Albion FC, also includes the provision of a new roundabout on the A27, a country park, land for a school and a community hub. It would also see the relocation and expansion of the Withy Patch Gypsy and Traveller site.

The initial plans for New Monks Farm were submitted last summer.

Councillors on the planning committee met in July to make a decision but decided to defer the proposal due to concerns over the appearance of the north elevation of the planned IKEA building and access to Coombes Road and Lancing College.

The same meeting will also see councillors consider an application proposing 2,500m² of commercial space at Shoreham Airport.

A spokesman for Adur District Council said: “We are fully aware of the public interest in this major application which is why we are continuing to use a location close to the site and as big a venue as possible for this decision to take place.

“As a council we have a duty to planning applications in a certain time frame. The deferred time period has given the applicant time to address the two main concerns raised.

“Given that the New Monks application and the airport application contain a shared transport and drainage strategy it makes sense to deal with both applications on the same evening.

“It is up to the committee to listen to the information put forward from all sides and make a decision on both applications based on this evidence.”

Papers regarding both applications will be made public a week before the meeting.

Information on how people can speak at the meeting will be confirmed in the next few days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here