Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It may be ugly to some people but it would be a godsend to the vast majority in travelling time. I would think that most householders would sooner the traffic go over a fly over up high above the height of their houses than on the road directly outside of their homes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Driving up the Shoreham flyover on the way to Mill Road on Friday, at peak rush hour. I was met by 3 lanes of stationary single occupancy cars, not traveling in the opposite direction.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It astounds me that we cannot build a flyover going from The Adur flyover to the Sompting by pass and also from Lyons Farm to Swandean allowing west travelling traffic to go on and the existing roads and roundabouts to be used by local traffic.

It may be ugly to some people but it would be a godsend to the vast majority in travelling time. I would think that most householders would sooner the traffic go over a fly over up high above the height of their houses than on the road directly outside of their homes.

I have several questions for your ambitious scheme, but I'll limit it to the 'low-hanging fruit' ones...

1. Where does the eastbound traffic go? Is it on a lower tier?

2. If the westbound traffic is on the elevated section, where would the junctions be?

3. It will be ugly, and I don't suppose people on that main road losing natural sightlines and sunlight, and having an increased traffic noise will consider it a godsend. So bearing in mind there is no room for a two-tier section, would you advocate a compulsory purchase scheme - effectively knocking down the houses most affected by the current road system (and thereby doing away with some of the human environmental issue) to make way for a new road system?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have several questions for your ambitious scheme, but I'll limit it to the 'low-hanging fruit' ones...

1. Where does the eastbound traffic go? Is it on a lower tier?

2. If the westbound traffic is on the elevated section, where would the junctions be?

3. It will be ugly, and I don't suppose people on that main road losing natural sightlines and sunlight, and having an increased traffic noise will consider it a godsend. So bearing in mind there is no room for a two-tier section, would you advocate a compulsory purchase scheme - effectively knocking down the houses most affected by the current road system (and thereby doing away with some of the human environmental issue) to make way for a new road system?

You could have asked 'where will all the traffic go when the entire road is closed for months?'.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
All the homeowners displaced by BGs stairway to heaven, could move into the new housing being built at Monks Farm. Problem solved.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It astounds me that we cannot build a flyover going from The Adur flyover to the Sompting by pass and also from Lyons Farm to Swandean allowing west travelling traffic to go on and the existing roads and roundabouts to be used by local traffic. This has be done on the A1 in Cyprus north of Limmasol on the main Larnaca to Paphos road so why cant it be done in England.

Not to me it doesn’t. That would be one seriously big bridge and the engineering involved isn’t simple. It would be the single biggest design and build in Sussex since the marina. The fact that you would have to evict those that live under it whilst the build went on isn’t going to win you any friends. Imagine having to live under a concrete monstrosity just because people don’t want to sit in traffic.

Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How long is the one over Limassol and it is 2 lane both ways It even goes past the football stadium. The houses and factories underneath remained in full use during the building of it. the difference being that they do not have NIMBYs and Green Party,.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
polemidia1.jpg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
How long is the one over Limassol and it is 2 lane both ways It even goes past the football stadium. The houses and factories underneath remained in full use during the building of it. the difference being that they do not have NIMBYs and Green Party,.

In full use for what ... foundations.

The difference is that you haven’t a clue.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Bensgrandad comes out with some absolute corkers but the Worthing flyover surely has to be his greatest bonkers opinion yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here