Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who was the best British Prime Minister of the last 60 or so years?

Who was the best British Prime Minister of the last 60 or so years?

• Theresa May

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Gordon Brown

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Tony Blair

Votes: 72 25.6%
  • John Major

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Margaret Thatcher

Votes: 142 50.5%
  • James Callaghan

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Harold Wilson

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Edward Heath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harold Wilson

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Alec Douglas-Home

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Harold Macmillan

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Anthony Eden

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Poll to follow.

Who, in your opinion, was the best British Prime Minister of the last 60 or so years?

I'm not just interested in policies, but who lead their Government with aplomb? Who was the greatest orator? Who handled the dispatch box with ease? Who demonstrated composure in a crisis?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Blair implemented the most things that benefited the country and people.

War card tends to be used against this though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blair implemented the most things that benefited the country and people.

War card tends to be used against this though.

My biggest grouch is his 'university for all'. policy. Polytechnic colleges were great, and we need technical training in this country far more, than degrees in media studies. Kids were going to uni, getting into debt, and ending up doing office jobs.
We needed more apprenticeships, and on the job training paid for by firms, with kids earning as they learned.

Then of course the war.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My biggest grouch is his 'university for all'. policy. Polytechnic colleges were great, and we need technical training in this country far more, than degrees in media studies. Kids were going to uni, getting into debt, and ending up doing office jobs.
We needed more apprenticeships, and on the job training paid for by firms, with kids earning as they learned.

Then of course the war.

I'm not sure how you can class an education policy as worse than the deaths of over 100,000 people.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Then of course the war.

He actually targeted 50% of school leavers attending university, something we're not too far off now. Polytechnics went under Major in 1992, although I'd imagine the plan was hatched under Thatcher.
On your assessment of PMs, I agree, Wilson, with Smith a clear possibility. Pity it's over the last 50 years, because if it was since WW2, Attlee would walk it for me. MacMillan comes about next, which doesn't say a lot for the most recent PMs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here