Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who was the best British Prime Minister of the last 60 or so years?

Who was the best British Prime Minister of the last 60 or so years?

• Theresa May

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Gordon Brown

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Tony Blair

Votes: 72 25.6%
  • John Major

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Margaret Thatcher

Votes: 142 50.5%
  • James Callaghan

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Harold Wilson

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Edward Heath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harold Wilson

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Alec Douglas-Home

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Harold Macmillan

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Anthony Eden

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Power Ranger Major

Last edited:

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Been reading Ken Clarke's political memoir this week to soothe my shredded Thameslink related nerves (now that is incongruous!). He relates how Cameron and Osborne would often refer to Blair as "The Master"...

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Although not a Tory myself, John Majors love of Cricket and Surrey CC has always made him a firm favorite of mine. I would have said Blair until he got all loved up with Bush and War.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would genuinely love to be able to say Thatcher. But the more one examines her life, the more despicable she becomes.
For example, her supposedly strong stance on the Falklands was nothing of the sort. She wanted to leave well alone, saying "let the Argies have it" but was advised by her cabinet to take action and secure another term in power. And what she did to communities in the North of England is unforgivable and the way in which she did it should have seen her in court.

And she didn't even have anything to do with inventing Mr.Whippy :-(

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
50% of NSC voting for Maggie. **** me, hell has frozen over.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
50% of NSC voting for Maggie. **** me, hell has frozen over.

75% Maggie or Blair! Just shows, Britain operates from the Centre. Surely that would encourage those thinking of setting up a new party given the extremity of choice we currently have?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
75% Maggie or Blair! Just shows, Britain operates from the Centre. Surely that would encourage those thinking of setting up a new party given the extremity of choice we currently have?
Maggie 'there is no such thing as society' and let's destroy the miners was centre? Wow!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maggie 'there is no such thing as society' and let's destroy the miners was centre?
Yeah, what we should have is the minors still going to work and getting paid. Not actually mining of course, because the coal was running out and becoming uneconomical to mine, but **** it, let's keep them anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah, what we should have is the minors still going to work and getting paid. Not actually mining of course, because the coal was running out and becoming uneconomical to mine, but **** it, let's keep them anyway.

We passed laws to stop minors being put to work long before the Milk Snatcher came on the scene - mind you, she'd probably have liked to change that, and probably would have done if there'd been enough chimneys to sweep.

Yes, coal is a finite resource, and would have run out eventually, but anyone who thinks the attack on the mining industry wasn't political is living in cloud cuckoo land (or they're such a total Thatcherite that they can't see through their Maggie-tinted glasses).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nonsense. Complete and utter. Blix was never allowed to inspect properly by Saddam. This went on for 10 years in defiance of UN resolutions. Colin Powell outlined the situation eloquently. He persuaded me the intervention was correct (I was instinctively against it before that). There was no need later to 'sex up' the data later (that was a crass error) just as there would have been no beed to doctor the VAR footage of Murray's goal. Separatly had Blair not backed Bush it would have been the end of him (you can imagine the Sun and Mail headlines). Perpetual smearing of Blair by the left is one of the reasons labour will never get in again for the forseable future. Tories will read your post and 'love your work'. :nono:

70% public support for the invasion at the time too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, coal is a finite resource, and would have run out eventually, but anyone who thinks the attack on the mining industry wasn't political is living in cloud cuckoo land (or they're such a total Thatcherite that they can't see through their Maggie-tinted glasses).

in seriousness, why do you believe there was a political attack on an industry, rather than accepting of economic obsolescence? were the hundreds of pit closure in previous decades, under every Prime Minister and party, political too?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, of course mines were closed before Thatcher - natural progression; when a mine was worked out it was closed. The Thatcher assault wasn't so much an attack on the industry as such - although Thatcher clearly wasn't in favour of dirty, mucky heavy industry (with Trade Unions), not when people could get rich doing nice clean jobs like working in the City - but it certainly was a vicious political attack on the NUM, with the aim of smashing it once and for all, even if it did mean closing down a large number of mines (particularly in the Midlands) that were still viable - and probably would still be viable today, and a better alternative to importing all our coal.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Although not a Tory myself, John Majors love of Cricket and Surrey CC has always made him a firm favorite of mine. I would have said Blair until he got all loved up with Bush and War.

Major is a good man, but along with everyone on that list he made mistakes.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
in seriousness, why do you believe there was a political attack on an industry, rather than accepting of economic obsolescence? were the hundreds of pit closure in previous decades, under every Prime Minister and party, political too?

Pits that were exhausted of their coal though. Pits that were closed down with the agreement of the NUM and NCB. Pits that were merged with other collieries. Pit closures that didn't have compulsorily redundancies.

In the early 70's The NUM and NCB came to an agreement over gradually closing pits that weren't viable to lessen the impact on the local communities affected - She reneged on that and accelerated closures and the conflict with The NUM took off. As she said in her memoirs: "it was only by ensuring that they lost face and were seen to be defeated and rejected by their own people that we could tame the militants."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here