Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ibrahimovic sent off after VAR playback

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Handbags. The player backing in did seem to just about step on Ibrahimovic’s toe as he stepped back. Zlatan’s reaction was petty. Both players significantly over reacted to any “pain” they may have felt. Pathetic.

Straight red? Under the Laws, probably so - but, sheesh.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What a tosser. The fella didn't even touch his foot!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think there is a universal ruling, and the MLS can use it for whatever the MLS decide they want to use it for.

In this case, it was the right result, no question.

There is a universal ruling (via FIFA). VAR can be used for:

Red card decisions
Goals and whether there was a violation in the buildup
Penalty decisions
Mistaken identity

Thats it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Red card decisions
Penalty decisions
Mistaken identity

Thats it.

Comes under the first one then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Big controversy in the German Cup Final this weekend, Bayern Munich v Eintracht Frankfurt. 3 minutes into stoppage time and with Frankfurt 2-1 up, the ref went to the sideline to review a big penalty shout for Bayern. TV replays showed that there was clear contact, but he refused to change his original decision, and gave a corner. Munich went mad, Frankfurt cleared the corner, and with the Munich keeper stranded after he'd come up for the corner, they broke up the other end and made it 3-1.

Marvellous.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I would have sent both of them off for faking injury. Someone stepping on your toe and someone giving you a mild slap are not enough to go to ground in agony.

Footballers can be quite pathetic at times.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
whether he did or didn`t stand on his toe it looked accidental...The slap however was not. Good decision IMO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would have sent both of them off for faking injury. Someone stepping on your toe and someone giving you a mild slap are not enough to go to ground in agony.

Footballers can be quite pathetic at times.

Embarrassing wasn't it. Many Americans carry the view that "Saccer" is a namby-pamby game for girls, and incidents like that can only reinforce that view. To roll around in mock agony like that, and actually be helped from the pitch still limping heavily after someone accidentally trod on his foot was utterly cringeworthy. Ibrahimovich should be thoroughly embarrassed when he see's that back, the cheating big jessie.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Big controversy in the German Cup Final this weekend, Bayern Munich v Eintracht Frankfurt. 3 minutes into stoppage time and with Frankfurt 2-1 up, the ref went to the sideline to review a big penalty shout for Bayern. TV replays showed that there was clear contact, but he refused to change his original decision, and gave a corner. Munich went mad, Frankfurt cleared the corner, and with the Munich keeper stranded after he'd come up for the corner, they broke up the other end and made it 3-1.

Marvellous.

I saw that match, when I saw the replay I thought his foot had missed the Bayern player tbh but maybe I saw the wrong angle.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Red card decisions
Penalty decisions
Mistaken identity

Thats it.

That was disputed recently as FIFA have no say in its use, by the man who knows everything and is never wrong.

I do agree it was the correct decision to give a red card for that incident. Only the IFAB can make such decisions!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here