Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leon Balogun SIGNS [two-year deal]

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very hard for manager to keep all happy. After cup game when taken off at half time spoke to Potter and looks like Potter said didnt think he was good enough. He said he wish he was told that 6 months before and can understand that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Slightly deluded if he thinks he deserved many more 'chances' over the £50M Ben White, our captain Lewis Dunk or £20M Adam Webster.

Decent player but the club have progressed quicker than he had

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When he signed for us, I am sure he'd have done his research and known our strongest position was probably central defence with Dunk and Duffy playing every game when available. Goldson and Hunemeier both left the summer he signed as they weren't getting regular games so he shouldn't be surprised the same happened to him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think he made a gaffe in every appearance for us. Maybe that would have been sorted out with more regular game time, but he wasn't worth the risk.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought he got a shit deal when he came in for Dunk and did excellently but then was dropped the minute Dunk came back…. That seems like years ago now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought he got a shit deal when he came in for Dunk and did excellently but then was dropped the minute Dunk came back…. That seems like years ago now
That certainly rings a bell, but you'd have to be naive in the extreme to think a handful of games (his longest run of starts was 4 games) was enough to split up D & D.
The run doesn't coincide with Dunk, but Duffy's sending off v them.

But at the end of the day Balogun scored that night and will now forever be the toast of half of Glasgow.

So that's all good in my book, irrespective of any grumblings he might have.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he made a gaffe in every appearance for us. Maybe that would have been sorted out with more regular game time, but he wasn't worth the risk.

Agreed and proof that Potter is pretty ruthless in binning players he doesn’t rate. Won’t hear me complaining :shrug:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
To be honest, I think Connor Goldson probably has more grounds to be disappointed. He was brilliant when he came into the side when Duffy was suspended but was straight back on the bench again when the Duffman was available. I wouldn't really argue with that decision either, to be perfectly honest, but I did feel he was hard done by - even the signing of Duffy was a bit of a slap in his face given how good he'd been the season before.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

A tad harsh perhaps, l don't recall too many gaffes at all. I think he did as well as he could, when things don't work it isn't always someone's fault. He was unlucky in that the Dunk n Duffy defensive partnership was one of the best in the Premier Leage at the time, and it was impossible for Hughton to break it up.

He has done very well for himself since, a hero to one half of Glesgae, and a title winner at Rangers. He should be very happy with what he has acheived since he left us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To be honest, I think Connor Goldson probably has more grounds to be disappointed. He was brilliant when he came into the side when Duffy was suspended but was straight back on the bench again when the Duffman was available. I wouldn't really argue with that decision either, to be perfectly honest, but I did feel he was hard done by - even the signing of Duffy was a bit of a slap in his face given how good he'd been the season before.

He signed for us at just the wrong time, just as Balogun did, Dunk and Duffy were just impossible to shift, they were that good a partnership. It can't have been easy for Chris Hughton to keep saying no to him either, and having to continually name him as a substitute.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He signed for us at just the wrong time, just as Balogun did, Dunk and Duffy were just impossible to shift, they were that good a partnership. It can't have been easy for Chris Hughton to keep saying no to him either, and having to continually name him as a substitute.

I felt the same for Hunemeier before him.
One of my favourites, but never really happened for him with us.

Top notch professional, only played 26 games for us in 2 and a bit seasons, but never disappointed.
Just better players ahead of him.

Edit: Typo (thanks [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION])

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Top notch professional, only played 26 games for us in 32 and a bit seasons, but never disappointed.

Didn't realise we had him that long!!!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Top notch professional, only played 26 games for us in 32 and a bit seasons, but never disappointed.

Wasn’t he signed when it looked like Dunk was going to Fulham ? He had a great debut in that opening day game up at Fulham when he had only been in the country a couple of days. Dunk was on the bench.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Does surprise me how Balogun ,Propper, Goldson, Ryan etc sold for peanuts. Big clubs seem to sell on Academy players that have been on loan in championship or abroad for huge fees. I thought when players like Walton, Molumby and Balogun did well in championship for a season they would then have some value but doesnt seem the case with us

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

If this podcast is anything to go by, Leon Balogun and Potter aren't top of each other's Christmas card lists - Balogun basically complains as to never being given a fair chance at Brighton, especially during the 2019/20 season
The relevant part of the video is from the 26 minute mark to just over 37 mins

He could have tried not making a mistake every time he played. :shrug:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Does surprise me how Balogun ,Propper, Goldson, Ryan etc sold for peanuts. Big clubs seem to sell on Academy players that have been on loan in championship or abroad for huge fees. I thought when players like Walton, Molumby and Balogun did well in championship for a season they would then have some value but doesnt seem the case with us

In the case of Balogun, Propper and Ryan, I think we allowed them to demonstrate they weren't going to get any better at Prem level. There wasn't going to be development from what they showed for us, hence each of them got sidelined by academy graduates.

Goldson's medal condition likely the reason his value was as it was, because plenty of potential to develop further there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Top notch professional, only played 26 games for us in 2 and a bit seasons, but never disappointed.

Edit: Typo (thanks [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION])

Absolutely.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In the case of Balogun, Propper and Ryan, I think we allowed them to demonstrate they weren't going to get any better at Prem level. There wasn't going to be development from what they showed for us, hence each of them got sidelined by academy graduates.

Goldson's medal condition likely the reason his value was as it was, because plenty of potential to develop further there.

Appreciate that but in last about 10 years have only received big fee for Ulloa, Knockhart and now White. Seems a poor return on outgoing business compared to many clubs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here