Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Slate roof problem

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Dear friends of the NSC mine of information , iv'e been told after a recent survey i have around 50 of my roof tiles curling (whatever that means ) , now would this indicate a whole new roof on a detached 3 bed house or could these offending tiles be replaced ? i will need scaffolding i suspect so how much do you think a repair would cost and how much should i expect as quotes from roofers for the whole job ? (roughly) , thank you .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m no expert, and defer in advance to those who are, but I have had 2 slate roof repairs/replacements. My understanding is that curling = delamination = not good. If 50 have gone, the danger is that loads more will go soon. If it is genuinely only 50 that have gone and the others are ok, then you’ll get away with replacing the duff ones. Scaffolding is likely to be a requirement of any half decent firm. If you’re into a full roof replacement, you’re looking at well into 5 figures (well into) for a 3 bed semi for slate (there are two main alternatives - both are cheaper, last less time, and don’t look anywhere near as good).

That’s me done. Good luck.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If they are proper welsh slates then they can be removed using a slaters zax (great word for high scrabble points). However having spent many years as a contracts manager in the roofing industry I suspect as they are curling then they are unlikely to be real slate but most likely fibre cement. This may mean that the rest are in a poor stat if repair.

Not sure on costs as have been out of the industry for 25 years but my old mucker still owns Mid Sussex Roofing and I’m sure he will look after you as he is an Albion supporter

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Mid Sussex Roofing did a great job for me using best grade Spanish Slate which is very nearly as good as Welsh and a lot Cheaper.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Thank you for replies , iv'e been informed they do indeed look like fibre cement , i will get in a few firms for a quote and go from there .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here