Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bishop Michael Curry

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Those candles looked a little precarious to me. Then he started talking about fire and I was a little concerned he may start one in St Georges Chapel.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought it was any normal circumstances a brilliant speech. For this occassion ? No. It is a wedding not a sermon and battering people. Still for the vakue of seeing the Royals thinking " wtf is this ? " it may have been worth it

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not a Christian, but have just watched his sermon and enjoyed it immensely. It captured what today is all about and thought actually he was spot on.

Not a debating point, as this is my personal opinion and if he didn't suit then good for you.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not a Christian, but have just watched his sermon and enjoyed it immensely. It captured what today is all about and thought actually he was spot on.

Not a debating point, as this is my personal opinion and if he didn't suit then good for you.

Decent point seems the jury is out on this one

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
From the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44180777

Who is Michael Curry?

He was ordained as a priest in 1978, is the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church and has spoken on issues including social justice, immigration policy and marriage equality.

He most recently campaigned for the creation of family day care providers, educational centres and investment in inner-city neighbourhoods in all three of his parish ministries - North Carolina, Ohio, and Maryland.

In North Carolina, he helped to refocus the church's development goals to fund malaria nets to save more than 100,000 lives.

Bishop Curry defended the Episcopal Church's move to allow same sex couples to marry in church in 2015, which caused some churches to cut ties.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I personally thought he waffled on far too long and even Harry looked bored at some points.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A refreshing change from the usual sterility of religion on display in these sorts of state events.

Whatever one's personal beliefs are, it was very clear that Michael Curry, invited by Meghan Markle to speak, has genuine faith.

And it was an address that anyone who's ever been in love could understand.

"There's power, power in love. If you don't believe me think about a time when you first fell in love. The whole world seemed to centre around you and your beloved."

It's a message that's as relevant today in our broken fallen world as much as it's ever been.

:thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought it was any normal circumstances a brilliant speech. For this occassion ? No. It is a wedding not a sermon and battering people. Still for the vakue of seeing the Royals thinking " wtf is this ? " it may have been worth it

I mean whose idea was it to bring religion into a church wedding

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I felt he talked more sense and with more passion in 13 minutes than most of us have done in our entire lifetime.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Bishop Michael Curry

The fella was great for 10 minutes whiich was probably his slot but I think he then lost the plot and then saw an opportunity to preach to 2 billion people worldwide to his type of religion and hijacked the occassion.

Sure he did a powerful speech at the start but he totally lost the moment and forgot it was about Harry and Meghan and their wedding.

It got to the stage of awkwardness in the end. Shame really as he made some good points but was best for his congress and his sermons

Seemed to me he went on far too long and misjudged this event

Seems a polarisation of views on social media with this

All in all I thought the Royal Wedding though was a marvelous occassion, almost flawless and proud to be British

Your views

It took eight sentences to say - 'he spoke for too long'?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think his sermon was less for those gathered and more for everyone else. Michael Curry always has been immense and fearless of upsetting the establishment.

It was 13 minutes long. I can't see the problem. Still, being a black person, you'd be surprised they didn't cut to something else.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here