Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jordan Maguire-Drew joins Leyton Orient

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
On the bench for Coventry tonight. He was a real prospect, what happened to him, did he get injured? Would he have been better off being part of our successful u23 team ?

He impressed last season (2016-17) for Dagenham & Redbridge (in the Conference), scoring 16 goals, providing 6 assists and being named Young Player of the Season.

He started off well at Lincoln on loan this season (starting 5 of their first 6 matches of the season). After a month out of the side he was then back involved (3 starts and 5 sub appearances) until he picked up a grade two tear of his hip in late October. He only returned to training in mid-December and the option to cancel his season-long loan was taken in January.

He switched to Coventry City on loan on January 3. He started in his first 3 matches with the Sky Blues (and 4 of the first 7) until losing his place. Then he had appendicitis and during the surgery his abdominal muscles were damaged - This player looks to have played his last game for Coventry City and 'He's ready if the gaffer wants him' - injured Coventry City winger update

Coventry didn't expect to have him back this season so his return in late April must be a bonus to them.

So, to answer the question, yes he has been injured (twice this season).

I think there is an ongoing debate as to whether the U-23 League can provide a suitable (and sufficient) environment to develop young players, and is the main reason that the structure of the league is modified on a fairly regular basis. Personally, given that he had his first involvement with U-23 football all the way back in 2013 when he was an U-16 schoolboy, I think he has probably "enjoyed" a more beneficial learning experience this season than he would have received with our U-23s, and hopefully it will aid his development accordingly, but who knows.

I think he is in the last season of his contract next season (which is also the last season that he counts as an U-21 player) so 2018-19 will be a big year for him, one way or another.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Gone out on loan and not played, is he injured?

That simply isn't true. Hall joined Notts County on the last day of the January transfer window. He didn't feature in the first 3 matches (for one of them, the Swansea City cup replay, he wasn't eligible). However, he started against Carlisle United on February 13. Manager Kevin Nolan said:-

I thought Ben was absolutely magnificent and had a fantastic debut. That is why we brought him in and he's taken his opportunity with both hands and I'm delighted for him. It's going to be tough for Shaun [Brisley] to get back into the team.

He started in each of the subsequent 6 matches - altogether in those 7 matches County had 3 wins, 3 draws and just 1 defeat. He was voted Notts County's Player of the Month for March, so he must have impressed.

He then missed a match because he was away on international duty with the Northern Ireland U-21s.

Since then he only appeared in 4 of 9 matches (2 starts and 2 sub appearances). Why? No idea. Maybe Nolan has a "keep-the-shirt" philosophy.

So, he DID play, and was pretty impressive (according to their manager and supporters).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Would Ben Hall & Maguire-Drew benefit being in our U23’s next year instead of going out on loan to sit on the bench at lower league team ?

Yes, there probably is merit in them coming back and playing U23 matches.

There was a telling interview with left-back George Cox on the official site just yesterday - COX RELISHING SOCCER SEVENS TOURNAMENT

At the end, he said this:-

A lot of people had a question mark over my defensive side of the game, but I think I’ve proved to people that I can do both sides of the game.

I’ve shown that I can so the attacking side of the game, but my defensive work has improved this season, so I’m very happy with that.

I’m hoping to get a loan move at some point. Some of the other lads, such as Ben White, have gone out and done very well, and I want to do the same.

Also, Des Hutchinson gave an interview to the Argus back on May 11 2017. In it he said this:-

It is up to us to show what we can do and hopefully that will be enough, whether it is coming through here or going out and getting some experience with a lower league team. Everyone wants to be playing first team football somewhere. A few of the lads have been out on loan and they say it is vital to get that experience. It is very different to what we get here in the under-23 league, which is more technical. Everyone who has gone out has benefited from it bigtime.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thanks again to #AZ Gull, the man in Arizona who knows more about what's going on with the youngsters than most of us do over here! I didn't know all about JMD's injuries, but I do remember him having a cracking season in the National League, but then (if I remember correctly) finding goals harder to come by in League 2, even before his injuries.
Two seasons out on loan now - maybe it's time to give him a pre-season and some time with the U23s - trouble is, there'll be a lot of competition to get in that team as a forward with the likes of Bjordal, Connelly, Gyorkeres and Tilley around.
Glad I'm not the one who has to make these decisions! - good luck to the lad anyway.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Still only 20 so maybe next year we get him in the u23’s ? Surely a better option than lower league loan player sitting on the bench ?

To be fair he has started a good few games for them this season. I'd still rather see him loaned out again next term, so he is experiencing more senior football.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think he is in the last season of his contract next season (which is also the last season that he counts as an U-21 player) so 2018-19 will be a big year for him, one way or another.

Going on a season-long loan to Wrexham - MAGUIRE-DREW JOINS WREXHAM ON LOAN

Strange move - I believe he is in the last year of his contract, and Wrexham play in the National League, a level he spent the season at with Dagenham & Redbridge in 2016-17. He's going backwards. Difficult to see him being at Albion beyond this season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Going on a season-long loan to Wrexham - MAGUIRE-DREW JOINS WREXHAM ON LOAN

Strange move - I believe he is in the last year of his contract, and Wrexham play in the National League, a level he spent the season at with Dagenham & Redbridge in 2016-17. He's going backwards. Difficult to see him being at Albion beyond this season.

Quite.
He was on fire at Dagenham, but last year was a disaster.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
At the very least Wrexham will be challenging for promotion this season, having just received a £2m windfall from the sale of Danny Ward to Leicester.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't he injured during his time at Coventry last season? Thought League One would have been a better level for him tbh.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here