Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Train Timetables Monday

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
are we allowed positive response? my regular commute has changed to a few minutes earlier both ways, so minor inconvenience in the morning. homeward will be 20 minutes earlier, i used to stay on a work to not stand around on platform is perfect. my irregular commute is a few minutes earlier either end too, evening will be a bit of a pig though as means sneaking out early (or late for the next one).

Only one direct train a day from Newhaven to London now. Great.

Seaford and Newhaven certainly drew a shitty stick. im surprised more wasnt made about it in the consultation, there was far more focus on the score of people using Plumpton. the horror for them is two (2) services an hour.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
More trains for me, slightly better times and some missing out London Road too so quicker journey.

Assuming it will be a mess for a few days whilst trains get in the right place.

I'm generally happy.

They've cut some stopping trains on East Coastway, but subtly the fast trains now stop at Moulsecoomb and Falmer to cover this up. I now have less options at London Road going to Lewes.
Return journey looking better though, but we'll see!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
One of the big winners seems to be Falmer. There's an additional hourly Brighton/Lewes shuttle and now every train is scheduled to stop there, so an all day service of 6 trains per hour instead of 4.

For evening games that nightmare gap of 20 minutes in the timetable from around 18:00 to 18:20 at Brighton station at exactly the time it starts to get really busy is (in theory) gone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One of the big winners seems to be Falmer. There's an additional hourly Brighton/Lewes shuttle and now every train is scheduled to stop there, so an all day service of 6 trains per hour instead of 4.

For evening games that nightmare gap of 20 minutes in the timetable from around 18:00 to 18:20 at Brighton station at exactly the time it starts to get really busy is (in theory) gone.

forgot about this. they also lost the crappy 2 car to Ashford, its 4 car to Eastbourne now, which could be made longer.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
forgot about this. they also lost the crappy 2 car to Ashford, its 4 car to Eastbourne now, which could be made longer.

They were doing that anyway pre match. The Ashford trains in the run up to kick off required a change at Eastbourne, as 3/4 coach electric trains were doing the Brighton to Eastbourne bit.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
They were doing that anyway pre match. The Ashford trains in the run up to kick off required a change at Eastbourne, as 3/4 coach electric trains were doing the Brighton to Eastbourne bit.

Not generally for mid-week evening games pre-kick off in my experience, when it was most needed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So yesterday, the national rail app had my morning train from Redhill to London Bridge timetabled to leave at 730, but already after one day it has actually changed to 729. Nothing much in that I suppose. However, on more careful inspection I noticed that this train was scheduled to arrive at LB at 8.00 on the dot.

Remarkable, I thought. I have never seen the stopping train (as this was) arrive at London Bridge any quicker than 38 minutes from departure, and yet this is timetabled to arrive 31 minutes later. Perhaps there is a point to all this disruption after all. Needless to say, it trundled into London Bridge at 8.08. Slightly late, even by old timetable standards.

You have to hand it to the train people - they constantly find new ways to inconvenience people and showcase their incompetence and/or selfishness. Well played.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Coming home was good (victoria to hove). Left 4 mins late & arrived 4 mins late)

This am train is on time. Instead of 1hr 10 it takes 1hr 18 as per timetable- there's progress

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Journey planner is at odds with the PDF timetables from NR. Anyone ITK as to the last trains back to Lewes this Saturday night? 10 of us going to Lords then watching Champions League final in Camden, and it could get messy.

PG

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Crappy 2 car to Ashford maybe, but if you specifically wanted to travel all the way from Brighton to Ashford this would have been a good service. A lot more difficult now.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Crappy 2 car to Ashford maybe, but if you specifically wanted to travel all the way from Brighton to Ashford this would have been a good service. A lot more difficult now.

We used to have a decent 4 stop quick service from Bexhill to Brighton on the Ashford trains, gone now and the new Ashford service stops at every station to Eastbourne

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Changes in the train times post Saturday matches to Lewes and onwards are not helpful at all

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Changes in the train times post Saturday matches to Lewes and onwards are not helpful at all

I presume you mean with respect to the change in ordering of services you mentioned on the other thread. They might still run an enhanced service for weekend matches even though the timetable now has 6 tph. (Remember it was just 4 tph before so you are probably comparing the new timetable to a special match-day timetable). I think I've seen 7 or even 8 per hour timetabled this season just gone so it's certainly possible to run more than 6 and the new timetable might not necessarily apply on weekend match days. We'll find out next season.

I hesitate to say travel to evening games by train is going to be better, as I don't know how much spare rolling stock will be available to lengthen the timetabled services, but it should be slightly less awful. Presumably the extra timetabled Lewes service and replacing the Ashford service with a 4 -car unit has been made possible because of the new Thameslink trains replacing the West Coastway London Bridge services, so there might be some more units freed up for lengthening.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I presume you mean with respect to the change in ordering of services you mentioned on the other thread. They might still run an enhanced service for weekend matches even though the timetable now has 6 tph. (Remember it was just 4 tph before so you are probably comparing the new timetable to a special match-day timetable). I think I've seen 7 or even 8 per hour timetabled this season just gone so it's certainly possible to run more than 6 and the new timetable might not necessarily apply on weekend match days. We'll find out next season.

I hesitate to say travel to evening games by train is going to be better, as I don't know how much spare rolling stock will be available to lengthen the timetabled services, but it should be slightly less awful. Presumably the extra timetabled Lewes service and replacing the Ashford service with a 4 -car unit has been made possible because of the new Thameslink trains replacing the West Coastway London Bridge services, so there might be some more units freed up for lengthening.

The big problem is in the past the Ore train came in just after 5 which the early leavers catch which was followed by the Lewes only which only those people who had the sense to change at Lewes would catch, this was then followed by a Seaford. Now the Lewes only comes in just after 5 which nobody will get on so the platform will be full of the stations to Ore people and Seaford people who leave early, leaving those who leave after the final whistle a long wait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here