Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle Utd made record loss during 2016/2017 season

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Well they should be getting a FFP fine. I know they loosened the rules but I am pretty sure a £90m loss is above the limit.

Na. Two Prem Seasons and One Championship season = 35+13+35 so £83m loss allowed over 3 seasons. They just need to turn a 7m profit for the 17/18 season which they should be able to do. It explains why they didn't spend as much as us and Huddersfield this season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They'll only get the fine if they go back to the EFL

IMG_2626.PNG

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't get the idea that Rafa is an average manager. He did manage to keep Newcastle up, spending around £40m-45m in the process. About the same as we spent I think?

I think they had the same NET Spend as us but that is only because they sold a lot more and we had no one would pay any money to take our players of our hands that we got rid of

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think they had the same NET Spend as us but that is only because they sold a lot more and we had no one would pay any money to take our players of our hands that we got rid of

Wages is the key indicator of likely league success.

On fees, Newcastle and Brighton all spent similar sums in 2017, but Newcastle still had the nucleus of their expensive PL squad from 2015/16.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
All to do with wages. Soccernomics will tell you that he underperforms. For Newcastle to scrape the title on the last day whilst having a wage bill more than twice ours would seem to back that theory up.

No, NUFC’s wage bill was twice ours and Udds ADDED TOGETHER!! FFP needs scrapping, as it is a waste of time - I wonder if Wolves have complied - cough?

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Rafael Benitez, thought to be a target for West Ham, would prefer to stay as Newcastle manager, but wants assurances over transfer budgets from owner Mike Ashley. (Telegraph)

Benitez wants a £100m to spend on players, full control over transfers and a £6m-per-year contract to

From the BBC football gossip site.. 6m per year as manager the world has gone crazy

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I suppose we all knew that they were outspending us, but it is the scale of it that is so mind-bending. We had to put up with Benitez bleating about his "Championship" squad and yet their wage bill was £37.5m higher than in the previous season in the Premier League. £37.5m!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rafael Benitez, thought to be a target for West Ham, would prefer to stay as Newcastle manager, but wants assurances over transfer budgets from owner Mike Ashley. (Telegraph)

Benitez wants a £100m to spend on players, full control over transfers and a £6m-per-year contract to

From the BBC football gossip site.. 6m per year as manager the world has gone crazy

According to business insider magazine:
Benitez (currently) £4m
Pochettino £5.5m
Everton managers such as Koeman £6m a year
Klopp £7m
Wenger £9m
Conte £9.6m
Mourinho & Guardiola £15m

Managers are now paid similar sums to the players they manage. If they deliver PL survival, or CL football, perhaps it's money well spent?

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
According to business insider magazine:
Benitez (currently) £4m
Pochettino £5.5m
Everton managers such as Koeman £6m a year
Klopp £7m
Wenger £9m
Conte £9.6m
Mourinho & Guardiola £15m

Managers are now paid similar sums to the players they manage. If they deliver PL survival, or CL football, perhaps it's money well spent?

Im in the wrong job.. I mean all you do is pick 11 players tell them to win .. how hard can it be ? and if your shit and English you just move on to another sucker... sorry I mean team

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Im in the wrong job.. I mean all you do is pick 11 players tell them to win .. how hard can it be ? and if your shit and English you just move on to another sucker... sorry I mean team

Other than the Everton managers and Poch (who seems highly regarded), those names above have won trophies in their managerial careers.

But the circus of Clement, Pulis, etc have earned countless millions too. Some question their abillities. Timing - they’re lucky to be around in a period of huge PL interest and income.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Newcastle's wage bill for their Championship winning season...

£112.2 Million, they took a bit of a gamble apparently......:wozza:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/162...t_Albion_as_they_battled_Newcastle_for_title/

Newcastle have admitted the club took “a financial gamble” in their bid to bounce straight back to the Premier League in 2017.

The Magpies have revealed their wage bill for the 2016-17 campaign was the highest ever in the Football League.

According to stats compiled by Albion fan and football finance expert Kieran Maguire, Rafa Benitez operated with a total wage bill three times that at the disposal of his Albion counterpart*Chris Hughton.

Toon spent £112.2 million on wages during a campaign which, in terms of the title, went down to the last five minutes.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
£112.2 Million, they took a bit of a gamble apparently......:wozza:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/162...t_Albion_as_they_battled_Newcastle_for_title/

Newcastle have admitted the club took “a financial gamble” in their bid to bounce straight back to the Premier League in 2017.

The Magpies have revealed their wage bill for the 2016-17 campaign was the highest ever in the Football League.

According to stats compiled by Albion fan and football finance expert Kieran Maguire, Rafa Benitez operated with a total wage bill three times that at the disposal of his Albion counterpart*Chris Hughton.

Toon spent £112.2 million on wages during a campaign which, in terms of the title, went down to the last five minutes.
Yeah cheers for that Stockdale

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here