Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - The line between respect & over-respect

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
A really good lunch-time read: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/maty-ryan-line-between-respect-over-respect/

"It was the same against Burnley. There was a moment in that game where a free kick came in and the ball sprayed across the box. I was working my way across the line for a 50-50 with one of their strikers. I managed to get between the goal and him, and stop it.

It’s hard to describe what happened next. The ball was popping around, I reached back and pretty much shat myself. I thought I was going to throw the ball into my own net. But the spin of the ball, or the way I wrapped my hand around it, kept it out. It was one of those weird things."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This made me chuckle....

It was the same against Burnley. There was a moment in that game where a free kick came in and the ball sprayed across the box. I was working my way across the line for a 50-50 with one of their strikers. I managed to get between the goal and him, and stop it.
It’s hard to describe what happened next. The ball was popping around, I reached back and pretty much shat myself. I thought I was going to throw the ball into my own net. But the spin of the ball, or the way I wrapped my hand around it, kept it out. It was one of those weird things.

Stockdale (see other thread) was brilliant for us but Maty is an upgrade - club got this right. Obviously a great club man too (just like Stockdale in that respect, Maty is simply a better keeper)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Good read.
There has been a North American equivalent for a few years now called The Players Tribune, with both Pro & College sportsmen and women, from all sorts of sports, contributing articles.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here