Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    As it lies ahead of us chronologically, looking forward to it is arguably the only way to look at it.

Strange question.
    Sent from my Omsung A5 Phine.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      I don't particularly enjoy watching football unless Brighton or England are playing... in fact I won't watch a game once England are out. That doesn't stop me from being overly excited by the World Cup though... it's the pinnacle of football in my opinion, and I'm making plans for the matches already. It helps I'm on gardening leave until the end of July
      First REMF goalscorer - EVER

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LU7 RED View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yeah wish I hadn't shown my 7 year old that Bergkamp goal, as he loves doing the mental dutch commentary that goes with it, basically repeating his name over and over again.

Goes in high up on the list of non England goals celebrated. Others - Letchkov v Germany in 94 for Bulgaria, Suker for Croatia v Germany good examples.
      A theme there, I remember it well. Germany going out to lower rated teams, and infighting in their camp (Effenberg).

Made those WC's, with the Argentina losses, happier for many.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by rogersix View Post
      i'm overly excited already!
      where did you get your giant wallchart from? ta!
      I put the link in post 75.

1 Not allowed!
      Love everything about major tournos - the pinnacle of football, not this champions league crap. I don’t expect us to do much but will of course be supporting my country as always.
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016

0 Not allowed!
      I am still excited but I swear I get less excited with every passing world cup.

The fact that this one is in Russia and the England squad is shit is doing nothing to get my pulses racing.

I look forward to the games though, the fact they'll be on telly in work time, and watching some class teams show us how the game is played. I'll also watch the shittest, least attractive games in the competition. Then again, I'll watch most sports so that isn't saying much.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      Yes. Love WC's.

My favourite was Italia90, which got off to a dramatic start with Cameroon beating Argentina. 1998 wasn't bad either, including the Bergkamp goal that dumped .... Argentina.
      I was bumming around the Greek Islands for the whole of that summer, what with everything else, Italia 90 made it even better, watching the games on the TV in the bars with all the different nationalities.
      Quite a few England supporters went to the islands after the tournament as well.
      Best summer ever.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Chopper View Post
      I was bumming around the Greek Islands for the whole of that summer, what with everything else, Italia 90 made it even better, watching the games on the TV in the bars with all the different nationalities.
      Quite a few England supporters went to the islands after the tournament as well.
      Best summer ever.
      After England’s victories over Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon, we drove into the centre of Brighton. Great weather here too. Literally 10,000’s of people celebrating, cars honking, a great atmosphere.

That England squad included quality throughout, with some naturally gifted, instinctive players, all Geordies (Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley).

Happy days.

0 Not allowed!
      I'm sure once it starts I'll be interested but right now I'm looking forward to a break from football!
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      After England’s victories over Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon, we drove into the centre of Brighton. Great weather here too. Literally 10,000’s of people celebrating, cars honking, a great atmosphere.

That England squad included quality throughout, with some naturally gifted, instinctive players, all Geordies (Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley).

Happy days.
      Absolutely.
      I must include one of the most underestimated players to pull on an England shirt, David Platt.
      I also saw him play a few times for Arsenal.
      He always gave the impression he was doing nothing, as if he wasn't even there, and he ran like a woman who was late for a bus.
      But he was a superb footballer.