Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you looking forward to the World Cup?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not really. I'll watch tons of it, because I do enjoy WC games, but the FA have made England so bad it's taken half the fun out of it for me.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Not really, all the supporters of the top six will have a problem seeing the likes of de Bruyne, Salah, Aguero bearing down on our goal...................divided loyalties ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Aye I might buy a sticker book for Meade Jr to store in years to come - am hopeful that hairstyles across the globe remain ludicrous. I don't usually enjoy watching England play, but there might be moments to be impressed by, and I'll relish a madcap sending off and, for the first time really, treat it as a scouting mission to lust for a sweet-toed Iranian fullback to turn up in stripes towards the summer end.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm VERY excited about the World Cup, I always am. Regardless of how England do, I just totally immerse myself in the tournament and watch as much of it as I can. 2, 3 sometimes 4 games a day, whats not to like ??

Flexitime at work means that if there's a 4pm game I want to watch, I can mince off at 3.30 and be in the brace position for kickoff. I'll have a TV set up outside so I can watch loads of it in the garden, standing over my grill, beers in the cooler. A few cheeky accas to lend more of an edge to Costa Rica v Serbia, or Uruguay v Russia. There's a sweepstake going on at my local, and they're setting up a TV outside as well.

Scenes. Absolute scenes.

Predicting great weather here, but it often seems that way when the WC's on. I work for myself so I can see all the matches I want. A similar timezone to us in Russia is great; none of early starts of the Japan/Korea WC.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Yep my youngest has got into football so much so he gets up in the morning to watch highlights of the Premier league. He'd even sit through West Brom v Stoke which gives me confidence I can get him to watch Tunisia v Panama. Irrespective, last summer was wall to wall love Island in our house so reclaiming the TV brexit style makes it worthwhile whatever happens.

I don't have great expectations for England but a good performance is coming. The younger age groups are doing well - we have competitions in 2 age groups -and whilst the last Euros was disastrous in the end we had been alright to that point. The 90th minute winner against Wales wasn't a hoof into the box but good movement in and around it and on another day we would have wiped the floor with Russia. The draw is kind and Southgate at least seems to have a plan in his head even if on the face of it it doesn't seem to make much sense. We might do better than we think.

If you get your son to watch Tunisia v Panama you’re denying him England v Belgium as they’re being played at the same time (unless you’re setting up a multi-screen system in your house to make sure you don’t miss anything, in which case I salute you).

I know this because I put my giant wall chart up this morning. Can’t wait for the World Cup.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was thinking more of the time he pulled the names and numbers out of the 'hat' and discovered he'd lost one down the settee. :lolol:

That gloriously shambolic sweepstake organised by [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] was and still remains one of all-time favourite NSC moments :lolol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm VERY excited about the World Cup, I always am. Regardless of how England do, I just totally immerse myself in the tournament and watch as much of it as I can. 2, 3 sometimes 4 games a day, whats not to like ??

Flexitime at work means that if there's a 4pm game I want to watch, I can mince off at 3.30 and be in the brace position for kickoff. I'll have a TV set up outside so I can watch loads of it in the garden, standing over my grill, beers in the cooler. A few cheeky accas to lend more of an edge to Costa Rica v Serbia, or Uruguay v Russia. There's a sweepstake going on at my local, and they're setting up a TV outside as well.

Scenes. Absolute scenes.

What's the deal with glare on the screen outside? Was thinking of doing similar but need to work out the logistics

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'll start getting excited when the wallchart goes up. It will be a while yet ...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yes and no. Yes to the football but a big no to both the BBC and ITV coverage I will be turning on right on kick off and muting the commentary.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What's the deal with glare on the screen outside? Was thinking of doing similar but need to work out the logistics

You just need a TV with a matt screen (not a glossy one) - most modern LCD / LED's are matt these days. Obviously still have it facing away from the sun, but the matt screens don't carry reflections, so glare isn't an issue.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Ambivalent, it's Russia, England will fizzle and disappoint, the football is generally very poor, but there have been great games in the past.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yep - I love everything about the World Cup: The fans; the sun-soaked pitches; the foreign directors stuck in the 70's who still zoom in on that gaggle of Brazilian/Danish/Dutch supermodels in the crowd every time there is a lull in play; the fact that it is, for players, the biggest accolade you can win in the game; the dark horse who makes it out of the group; the middleweight South/Central American/African team that plays swashbuckling balls-to-the-wall kamikaze football all the way to the quarters; the cosiness of the BBC studio; Lineker in chinos; the tears; the Penalty shootouts; the inevitable Golazos; the England hubris (and the St Georges flags); the sheer colour of it all.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yep - I love everything about the World Cup: The fans; the sun-soaked pitches; the foreign directors stuck in the 70's who still zoom in on that gaggle of Brazilian/Danish/Dutch supermodels in the crowd every time there is a lull in play; the fact that it is, for players, the biggest accolade you can win in the game; the dark horse who makes it out of the group; the middleweight South/Central American/African team that plays swashbuckling balls-to-the-wall kamikaze football all the way to the quarters; the cosiness of the BBC studio; Lineker in chinos; the tears; the Penalty shootouts; the inevitable Golazos; the England hubris (and the St Georges flags); the sheer colour of it all.

I was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing until I just read this. MattBackHome's post has just painted a picture in 116 words that has got me really looking forward to it - far more so than any lumbering broadsheet preview or glitzy TV slo-mo montage.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Yes looking forward to it!
Due to timings and having kids running around I'll have to wait till there in bed before sitting down and watching whichever game is on in the evening, hopefully watching the hightlights of the earlier games as well. However I will be watching England whatever time it's on.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If you get your son to watch Tunisia v Panama you’re denying him England v Belgium as they’re being played at the same time (unless you’re setting up a multi-screen system in your house to make sure you don’t miss anything, in which case I salute you).

I know this because I put my giant wall chart up this morning. Can’t wait for the World Cup.

Good point. That said, I sat through Italy v Uruguay at the last WC rather than England v Costa Rica at the same stage. Here's hoping the Belgium game isn't a dead rubber.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Lovely summary, agree with every word.

The one thing I miss though, is the slightly CRACKLY commentary, not heard since Mexico 86. That gave the whole spectacle a wondrous, magical hue that really brought home the fact that we were watching something hugely important, live, on the other side of the planet. In this digital age of course the sound and picture is always perfect. But there was something very special about a crackly commentary that takes me right back to being an excited kid being allowed to stay up late to watch the game. LOVED 86.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You just need a TV with a matt screen (not a glossy one) - most modern LCD / LED's are matt these days. Obviously still have it facing away from the sun, but the matt screens don't carry reflections, so glare isn't an issue.

Do you have it permanently out there on a wall or similar exposed to the elements or is it wheeled out like the gimp in Pulp Fiction for special occasions?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes looking forward to it!
Due to timings and having kids running around I'll have to wait till there in bed before sitting down and watching whichever game is on in the evening, hopefully watching the hightlights of the earlier games as well. However I will be watching England whatever time it's on.

The group stage we've got two 7pm's and a 1pm (on a Sunday).
2nd Round will be a 7pm

Not looked beyond that. Ahem.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This may be Argentina's 5 strikers for the World Cup.

Forwards: Lionel Messi, Sergio Agüero, Gonzalo Higuaín, Paulo Dybala, Mauro Icardi

If that doesn't get the flair glands bubbling then I don't know what will.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here