Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you looking forward to the World Cup?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
As it lies ahead of us chronologically, looking forward to it is arguably the only way to look at it.

Strange question.

Stumpy Tim

I don't particularly enjoy watching football unless Brighton or England are playing... in fact I won't watch a game once England are out. That doesn't stop me from being overly excited by the World Cup though... it's the pinnacle of football in my opinion, and I'm making plans for the matches already. It helps I'm on gardening leave until the end of July

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah wish I hadn't shown my 7 year old that Bergkamp goal, as he loves doing the mental dutch commentary that goes with it, basically repeating his name over and over again.

Goes in high up on the list of non England goals celebrated. Others - Letchkov v Germany in 94 for Bulgaria, Suker for Croatia v Germany good examples.

A theme there, I remember it well. Germany going out to lower rated teams, and infighting in their camp (Effenberg).

Made those WC's, with the Argentina losses, happier for many.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Love everything about major tournos - the pinnacle of football, not this champions league crap. I don’t expect us to do much but will of course be supporting my country as always.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am still excited but I swear I get less excited with every passing world cup.

The fact that this one is in Russia and the England squad is shit is doing nothing to get my pulses racing.

I look forward to the games though, the fact they'll be on telly in work time, and watching some class teams show us how the game is played. I'll also watch the shittest, least attractive games in the competition. Then again, I'll watch most sports so that isn't saying much.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes. Love WC's.

My favourite was Italia90, which got off to a dramatic start with Cameroon beating Argentina. 1998 wasn't bad either, including the Bergkamp goal that dumped .... Argentina.

I was bumming around the Greek Islands for the whole of that summer, what with everything else, Italia 90 made it even better, watching the games on the TV in the bars with all the different nationalities.
Quite a few England supporters went to the islands after the tournament as well.
Best summer ever.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was bumming around the Greek Islands for the whole of that summer, what with everything else, Italia 90 made it even better, watching the games on the TV in the bars with all the different nationalities.
Quite a few England supporters went to the islands after the tournament as well.
Best summer ever.

After England’s victories over Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon, we drove into the centre of Brighton. Great weather here too. Literally 10,000’s of people celebrating, cars honking, a great atmosphere.

That England squad included quality throughout, with some naturally gifted, instinctive players, all Geordies (Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley).

Happy days.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
After England’s victories over Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon, we drove into the centre of Brighton. Great weather here too. Literally 10,000’s of people celebrating, cars honking, a great atmosphere.

That England squad included quality throughout, with some naturally gifted, instinctive players, all Geordies (Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley).

Happy days.

Absolutely.
I must include one of the most underestimated players to pull on an England shirt, David Platt.
I also saw him play a few times for Arsenal.
He always gave the impression he was doing nothing, as if he wasn't even there, and he ran like a woman who was late for a bus.
But he was a superb footballer.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
love the world cup

never had any expectations at all

first 2 world cups I remember were 74 & 78 and England didn't qualify for either

Yugoslavia beating Zaire 9-0

East beating West

Gemmill's goal against the Dutch

the world cup is the greatest show on earth

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
love the world cup

never had any expectations at all

first 2 world cups I remember were 74 & 78 and England didn't qualify for either

Yugoslavia beating Zaire 9-0

East beating West

Gemmill's goal against the Dutch

the world cup is the greatest show on earth

They're my first 2 WC's too. I was very young in 74, but I remember the incredible Dutch. Shame about the final.

Cruyff, the genius.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Do you think we'd lose to Poland / Columbia / Japan / Senegal ?

I honestly think we'd beat any of those. Yes yes, I know the Iceland factor still lurks (and always will from now on), but I'd be confident of progressing past whoever we get in the 2nd round.

Group G
Belgium FIFA ranked 3 will win group
England ranked 13 finish second or third
Tunisia ranked 14 finish second or third

Group H

Poland ranked 10 win group
Columbia ranked 16 second
Senigal ranked 28 third

So the question is can we beat Tunisia to get out of Group G and if we can and I think it will be very tight then can we beat Columbia again it's tight as I said hopefully I am wrong and my prediction skills are woeful so all is not lost

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm VERY excited about the World Cup, I always am. Regardless of how England do, I just totally immerse myself in the tournament and watch as much of it as I can. 2, 3 sometimes 4 games a day, whats not to like ??

Flexitime at work means that if there's a 4pm game I want to watch, I can mince off at 3.30 and be in the brace position for kickoff. I'll have a TV set up outside so I can watch loads of it in the garden, standing over my grill, beers in the cooler. A few cheeky accas to lend more of an edge to Costa Rica v Serbia, or Uruguay v Russia. There's a sweepstake going on at my local, and they're setting up a TV outside as well.

Scenes. Absolute scenes.

Exactly this. I even sit there and watch games I've absolutely no interest or stake in, if I'm free, just because they're on. Saudi Arabia v Ecuador? Ghana v New Zealand? Bring it on (not necessarily at this World Cup :lol: ).

Also love a good nation-by-nation World Cup preview pullout in the newspaper(s). Small pleasures, you see :)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Very much so.

Had the privilege of making it over to Japan for 2002 for the group games and Beckham's payback against Argentina.

I think many might be surprised with how this England team will do, especially as the younger age national teams have done so well.

With the youth on display that will quickly silence the perennial cynics, it's going to be progression to the Quarter-Finals at least.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here