Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you looking forward to the World Cup?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am because I just love watching football in the Summer and miss the gap between the end of one season and the beginning of the next which happens every year there isn’t a World Cup or the Euros. I have absolutely no expectations of England doing well and no longer get angry watching us as I used to.

Going to be great to have a small Albion interest in Colombia and Australia

Anyone taking a football break and giving it a miss?

Anyone looking forward to watching England play, of course we will all watch but are you actually expecting anything other than disappointment, sooner rather than later?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Very much so. My Favourite part of a World Cup is watching those random group games when cultures collide - like Ghana v Iran or Columbia v Serbia.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes, and I always enjoy the Euros too.

Is anyone doing a sweepstake on Nsc? Not you [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] Hark!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
As for England....we are due a competition where we get a bit of luck and overachieve. It could happen.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yep my youngest has got into football so much so he gets up in the morning to watch highlights of the Premier league. He'd even sit through West Brom v Stoke which gives me confidence I can get him to watch Tunisia v Panama. Irrespective, last summer was wall to wall love Island in our house so reclaiming the TV brexit style makes it worthwhile whatever happens.

I don't have great expectations for England but a good performance is coming. The younger age groups are doing well - we have competitions in 2 age groups -and whilst the last Euros was disastrous in the end we had been alright to that point. The 90th minute winner against Wales wasn't a hoof into the box but good movement in and around it and on another day we would have wiped the floor with Russia. The draw is kind and Southgate at least seems to have a plan in his head even if on the face of it it doesn't seem to make much sense. We might do better than we think.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As for England....we are due a competition where we get a bit of luck and overachieve. It could happen.

:thumbsup:

I was disappointed by Southgate's all too predictable appointment, but I like the way he's going about his business. After the awful stints from Capello, McLaren and Hodgson, he's an understated breath of fresh air. If we end up winning say 3 games, that would be be a huge leap forward on tournaments of the last 20 years.

el punal

No, not really. Of course when it kicks off I’ll be drawn into it. I suppose it’s because of my passion for the Albion and the fact that we have had three tremendous seasons on the bounce that, come early summer, I’m drained on the old football front.

I suppose it doesn’t help that England have been anything from disappointing to dire in previous tournaments be it the Euros or the World Cup. On that basis my interest is very luke warm. Long gone are the days when it was friends coming round, beers at the ready and watch a TV fest of football for weeks - and being football that attitude could all change in a heartbeat!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, and I always enjoy the Euros too.

Is anyone doing a sweepstake on Nsc? Not you [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] Hark!

Being Scottish he’ll only be watching to support whoever England are playing, I imagine he might enjoy it more than us England fans :smile:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
It's good when you have 2 teams, but one which you're not so emotionally invested in. England games will inevitably see me shouting at the telly at 3 in the morning, whereas I can sit back and watch the Japan games with a few beers and just enjoy it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Being Scottish he’ll only be watching to support whoever England are playing, I imagine he might enjoy it more than us England fans :smile:

I was thinking more of the time he pulled the names and numbers out of the 'hat' and discovered he'd lost one down the settee. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm VERY excited about the World Cup, I always am. Regardless of how England do, I just totally immerse myself in the tournament and watch as much of it as I can. 2, 3 sometimes 4 games a day, whats not to like ??

Flexitime at work means that if there's a 4pm game I want to watch, I can mince off at 3.30 and be in the brace position for kickoff. I'll have a TV set up outside so I can watch loads of it in the garden, standing over my grill, beers in the cooler. A few cheeky accas to lend more of an edge to Costa Rica v Serbia, or Uruguay v Russia. There's a sweepstake going on at my local, and they're setting up a TV outside as well.

Scenes. Absolute scenes.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Not really as it always ends badly for England.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Will be watching, optimism followed by depression, looking forward to the post England games without stress.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here