Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England being overrated again

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I notice on the current FIFA world rankings, England are 13th and Tunisia are 14th but we are massively odds on and Tunisia are up to 9-1 and around 4-1 for the draw.

What is it with people thinking we just have to turn up to beat teams like Tunisia who are absolutely no mugs. I think we will do well to get out of the group and think 9-1 against Tunisia is a bit of an insult.

I obviously hope we do well but have no great hopes.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I notice on the current FIFA world rankings, England are 13th and Tunisia are 14th but we are massively odds on and Tunisia are up to 9-1 and around 4-1 for the draw.

What is it with people thinking we just have to turn up to beat teams like Tunisia who are absolutely no mugs. I think we will do well to get out of the group and think 9-1 against Tunisia is a bit of an insult.

Exactly who is saying this? No one I know, no one I have seen on NSC or in the press.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Exactly who is saying this? No one I know, no one I have seen on NSC or in the press.

The bookies? I think that was his point.

Though I presume the odds are just a reflection of the fact that FAR more people in England are going to put money on England than Tunisia, and therefore they have relatively low odds for England to win as they'd lose a lot if they did. I say this as someone who knows nothing about betting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is never any value in a bet on England at the major tournaments. Never has been, never will be. Odds are warped by the sheer number of patriotic bets made in this country.

All the value is on the draw, IMO. I don't think 9 or 10/1 on Tunisia is bad value, but I just don't think they'll win. I reckon the chances of a draw are MUCH lower than 1 in 5 though!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Ask that very same question again prior to the 2022 World Cup, (should we qualify), and it will be equally applicable.

Nothing ever changes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The bookies know that LOADS of people will do a 'loyalty bet' on England to win, which is why the odds they give for that are always so mingey. They're not going to over-expose themselves with more generous (and realistic) odds. I gather we're about 4/11 with most bookies for the win. I'd still have us odds on, but not by that much. Maybe about 1/2.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think we can all agree that if Esperance's Ghaylene Chaalali can really turn on the flair he is know for, and Club African's Saber Khalifa can find his shooting boots, then we are in REAL trouble.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it possible to bet on a country in a less patriotic market?

Could I set up an account to bet on England through, say, a a German bookmaker?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think we can all agree that if Esperance's Ghaylene Chaalali can really turn on the flair he is know for, and Club African's Saber Khalifa can find his shooting boots, then we are in REAL trouble.

But Al Duhail's Youssef Msakni is out of the tournament, so they best they can hope for is a draw.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I agree. I think I even saw a post on here saying we 'should' beat Tunisia and Panama. Where have these people been for the last 50 years? There's no 'should' about it. As you pointed out Tunisia are only ONE place behind us in the rankings. And yes I know the rankings are bollocks - there's no way we should be as high as 13th. But they are a rough guide.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Equally l think we can all agree that if the likes of Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy et al, have their shooting boots on, and do what they are capable of doing week in and week out in the Premier League, then Tunisia are in even DEEPER trouble.

And I think that we can also all agree, that it is never, ever, as simple as that.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
10-12 years ago we had an unbelievable squad of players with only the left of midfield being a weakness with Joe Cole being played out of position. Every other footballer was playing in their favored position for a top side and some potentially in the top 5 for that position. We didn't even make the semi-finals and lost everytime we played a decent side.

Now we are a shadow of the side who between them had several premier league winners medals as well as a few champions league winners. Now we have no real stand out talents but expect to win against lesser, better organised and disciplined opposition. We have no chance of winning and will probably be knocked out in the group stages as there are no world-class players in our side and they don't have the capacity to battle against the best

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Is it possible to bet on a country in a less patriotic market?

Could I set up an account to bet on England through, say, a a German bookmaker?

You can, but be warned, almost all German online bookmakers are unlicensed. All betting shops in Germany are state controlled and offer less attractive odds.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The bookies know that LOADS of people will do a 'loyalty bet' on England to win, which is why the odds they give for that are always so mingey. They're not going to over-expose themselves with more generous (and realistic) odds. I gather we're about 4/11 with most bookies for the win. I'd still have us odds on, but not by that much. Maybe about 1/2.

Bookies want mug's money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here