Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Street cleaners

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not asking for a perfect world ...... I'm asking that any human with any sense of understanding for the local environment makes the effort to not drop rubbish, not drop fag butts and doesn't leave their dog shit around. Even the thickest, most moronic, dickhead can do that surely ?

Indeed. But there are those that think it’s all about government control over the individual that will sort this

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its down to the public not the number if street cleaners and which political party is in charge of the council.
Go to Singapore or Japan as just two examples and you will find zero litter on the streets and very few waste bins because the people take their rubbish home with them.
Its a mindset and an adherance to rules.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well there you go then, they do a great job early in the morning and then as soon as KFC opens the dirty gits go and drop some more down.
It's only going to be permanently clean if the cleaners are there all day.
It's not the councils fault it's the dirty lazy nuggets that drop it.
In Singapore they would get a couple of lashes.

Maybe the food outlets and coffee shops where the greater majority of this crap comes from should employ someone to clear the rubbish from their immediate area

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Labour controlled council?

Idiot.
Money is cut to the bone from central government.
Rubbish clearance has been cut by most councils.
And anyway, you don't live here anymore so it does not matter to you if the streets are clean or filthy, except the ones in Melbourne and nobody is interested in that so keep your nose out.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm not asking for a perfect world ...... I'm asking that any human with any sense of understanding for the local environment makes the effort to not drop rubbish, not drop fag butts and doesn't leave their dog shit around. Even the thickest, most moronic, dickhead can do that surely ?

Clearly not. There are always more moronic dickheads around than people payed to clear up their shit.

Btw..wtf is the deal with dog walkers who pick up their dogshit in a Baggie only to then tie the fecker to a tree like a faecal Christmas decoration? At least if they left the turd on the forest floor nature would eventually absorb it...leaving it dangling from a tree in a plastic bag means it will remain there for years.

Why the feck even bother having a dog if you can't dispose of its turds like a decent human being?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Maybe the food outlets and coffee shops where the greater majority of this crap comes from should employ someone to clear the rubbish from their immediate area
Where's the profit in that? Behave yourself.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
its not just Brighton, anywhere with a school in close proximity is awash with litter. Kids especially simply don't see the problem in dumping litter on the ground even a few feet from a bin. No one has ever corrected them and that I'm afraid is due to poor parenting...those with parents of course...I'm not talking just about sweet and crisp packaging but fish and chip wrappings, large bottles etc. Nor stuffing into a hedge. No, just dropping straight on the floor when finished with and without a second thought. And walking on. And the abuse you get for asking them not to do, well, it's just not worth it. God knows how many people locally have asked the schools who read notices out etc but it falls on deaf ears. As a culture, we're a nation of sloths and deserve to drown in our own filth.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
its not just Brighton, anywhere with a school in close proximity is awash with litter. Kids especially simply don't see the problem in dumping litter on the ground even a few feet from a bin. No one has ever corrected them and that I'm afraid is due to poor parenting...those with parents of course...I'm not talking just about sweet and crisp packaging but fish and chip wrappings, large bottles etc. Nor stuffing into a hedge. No, just dropping straight on the floor when finished with and without a second thought. And walking on. And the abuse you get for asking them not to do, well, it's just not worth it. God knows how many people locally have asked the schools who read notices out etc but it falls on deaf ears. As a culture, we're a nation of sloths and deserve to drown in our own filth.

That’s it nail head......

It’s not the children, it’s not the parents, it’s their parents...

we are back to that lazy 60s generation of hippies....

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Simply untrue. I live near one school and walk past another every day and there is zero litter around any of them. Brighton is a particularly dirty town.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Simply untrue. I live near one school and walk past another every day and there is zero litter around any of them. Brighton is a particularly dirty town.

You have better street cleaners than we do then but to claim kids don’t drop litter is ridiculous. simply untrue!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Just another little reminder of what a crap " Society " we really are. There was a debate on 5live last week talking about litter, someone said that in Japan there are no litter bins in public parks, it is the responsibility of the public to take their litter home..., and it apparently works. Love to see the council remove the litter bins along Hove Lawns on Friday afternoon and see wha'ts left there on Sunday evening ?

I was in a park in Australia a few weeks back. There were no litter bins and zero litter about the place. The picnic areas and public barbecues were spotless.

It’s pretty rare to see anyone drop litter and people seem to automatically pack up all their rubbish and take it away. The beaches have lots of bins and which are emptied frequently.

Quite how this could be achieved in the UK I really don’t know.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

That’s it nail head......

It’s not the children, it’s not the parents, it’s their parents...

we are back to that lazy 60s generation of hippies....

Everyone else is to blame.
Shopkeepers used to sweep their own bit of pavement every morning, and householders the same.
In the meantime, volunteers are going to the beaches to help clear up rubbish.
If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. When you walk past litter, do you pick it up and bin it? In Switzerland, you get fined if you drop litter, but you also get fined if you walk past & don't deal with it.
Chewing gum makes our pavements filthy, and needs chemicals to clean up.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Idiot.
Money is cut to the bone from central government.
Rubbish clearance has been cut by most councils.
And anyway, you don't live here anymore so it does not matter to you if the streets are clean or filthy, except the ones in Melbourne and nobody is interested in that so keep your nose out.

Ooh, get you sister!

But the local (Labour) controlled council gets to choose where cuts are targeted at, could be street cleaning services or LGBTABCDEFG trans gender fluidity support services ad infinitum. One choice affects all of the community and one doesn’t.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When you walk past litter, do you pick it up and bin it?

Actually not all the time, but occasionally yes, our young daughter is a stickler for picking up rubbish especially on the beach and to be honest I get fed up sometimes of walking backwards and forwards to the bin knowing in my heart of hearts, what we are doing is not going to make a blind bit of difference to the worlds problems when third and emerging countries or big corporations have yet to get a handle on pollution or even care about it.

My original comment was supposed to be a joke.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Brighton is at its best when it’s cold, wet and windy!!! All the tourists stay the **** away with their personal filth they bring, it doesn’t take 38 mins to drive from Lewes Crescent to Wish Road and I’m more than certain anti social crime drops [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here