Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Street cleaners

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A couple of weeks ago we were in London Rd and a chap stopped with his Doberman who did a pile on the pavement. The dog finished his job and the owner then walked off with him and made no attempt to pick it up. 20 years ago I would have pulled him up about it and taken my chance but not now I just chickened out and left it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
A couple of weeks ago we were in London Rd and a chap stopped with his Doberman who did a poile o the pavement. The dog finished his job and the owner then walked off with him and made no attempt to puick it up. 20 years ago I would have pulled him up about it and taken my chance but not now I just chickened out and left it.

:moo:
Pissed at six

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
It's an unusually dirty town. But it's a place of renters, drifters, not enough people have pride in it.
For me, this explains most of the causes of our messy city.

I also think a lot of the younger generation everywhere have been brought up with the 'it's not my problem now' attitude.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
THIS.

I walk the dog around the streets of Brighton and along the seafront most mornings. The amount of rubbish on the beach (within feet of the bins) is disgusting - the Tuesday morning after the bank holiday weekend was carnage. I tend to pick up the odd bit of rubbish on the beach (particularly glass bottles), I pick up every last bit of his crap - sh|tty pebbles included, yet I'm not really supposed to be on the beach with the dog at all at this time of year. Go figure!

People are indeed, SCUM

Not arguing, you are right, people are disgusting, but a lot of people frequent Brighton seafront, on Bank Holidays and sunny weekends it's packed, so is there enough bins, maybe there should be more and bigger, seagulls and wind causes problems.
It happens in Plymouth as well but the city centre and Barbican are quite clean, but then we have litter police and they do instantly fine, even for a fag butt.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The fact that large parts of Brighton clearly resemble a rubbish tip at times, you can't drive anywhere in the centre of town without being caught in a half hour traffic jam, and house prices are at absurd levels won't stop smug simpletons on here attempting to talk down other towns in Sussex and beyond that don't have any of these problems. :rolleyes:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Should I say 'heavily laden is probably a slight exageration and I should perhaps have described it as an abundance of rubbish. I must admit the vast majority of it was take away items like MacDonalds and KFC cartons plus sanwich wrappers and empty Costa coffee sachets so it is possible that I saw it before the cleaners had arrived to clean it up after morning snacks and coffee.

Well there you are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, they do. They cleaning lorries and litter pickers operate constantly.

But keeping up with anti-social people isn't easy, especially given the cuts.

Think you may have missed out an 'n' there, Largy :whistle:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Last weekend in Liverpool, I barely saw any litter on the streets (or graffiti). Ditto Newcastle.

I sometimes wonder that having so many visitors and a very transient population means that there isn't the same pride in the city or sense of ownership or feeling of belonging.

Yeah because nobody visits Newcastle and Liverpool.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Do Brighton Council no longer employ street cleaners? Wife and I walked from Waitrose to Churchill Sq along Western Rd and were astonished at the state of the pavements which were very heavily laden with gold. I know it is the reponsibility of indivduals but surely the council must have some responsibility.
Corrected for you :)

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not arguing, you are right, people are disgusting, but a lot of people frequent Brighton seafront, on Bank Holidays and sunny weekends it's packed, so is there enough bins, maybe there should be more and bigger, seagulls and wind causes problems.
It happens in Plymouth as well but the city centre and Barbican are quite clean, but then we have litter police and they do instantly fine, even for a fag butt.

Sorry, but I don’t feel giving anyone the ‘not enough bins’ excuse is helpful.

There is no excuse not to take whatever you took to the beach (or wherever) home with you, or to a bin just off the beach, or even slightly further afield. There is so much rubbish that simply cannot be down to the wind or seagulls (glass bottles for example) that it’s impossible to blame anything other than the feckless twats that leave it there.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You'll be disappointed with that brain-dead, meaningless post. If you're not, you really should be.

You'd have to ask yourself why you posted it - aside from broadcasting to everyone your own stupidity.

Let's see - 'Brighton & Hove City Council care more about supporting jihadis than clearing up litter. True or false?' :facepalm:

As you well know O Sanctimonious One, there was more than a hint of irony in the original comment. But to acknowledge that would dilute your reasoning that you feel allows you to sneer at those with less important views than your own.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
There were quite a few caught and fined in Littlehampton about Easter time who were caught dropping fag butts.The fine with costs, amounted to about £290.00 per offence.

Where does the money go. Is it like car tax where sod all goes back into the infrastructure hence potholes utd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here