Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Street cleaners

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow, that's incredible, I was totally wrong, I had no idea Liverpool was so much more popular as a tourist destination. So why IS Brighton so much worse? Do we get the 'wrong sort' of visitors?

Me neither....nearly fell of my chair when I saw those numbers ! Look like decent, consistent sources of info too so presumably reliable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe the food outlets and coffee shops where the greater majority of this crap comes from should employ someone to clear the rubbish from their immediate area

i think you'll find they do. at least they used to, recall McDonalds used to have people picking up rubbish and sponsoring bins.

but really, this just excuses the culprit, the person who litters.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Was that today? I walked along half of that route yesterday, and it wasn't as bad you describe. Maybe the litter louts and dog walkers all went out overnight.

Incidentally, there are street cleaners in Brighton, because I've seen them.

there are less of them though and they have been given bigger areas to clean

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Do Brighton Council no longer employ street cleaners? Wife and I walked from Waitrose to Churchill Sq along Western Rd and were astonished at the state of the pavements which were very heavily laden with litter, fag ends and dog muck I know it is the reponsibility of indivduals but surely the council must have some responsibility.

Brighton & Hove Council Website:

Our street sweeping staff take a lot of pride in their job and ensure that the city’s streets are swept on a regular basis. Heavily used areas like the city centre and the seafront receive daily attention due to the amount of litter created. Less busy and residential streets receive a sweep when necessary, in most cases once a week.

Litter and detritus (leaves, grit and other natural material which has broken down) is collected together from the pavements and road side by our street sweeping staff. This is then put into beige coloured bags and placed on street corners and by litter bins for our street cleaning staff to quickly collect using caged vehicles. Caged vehicles are flatbed trucks with a large wire frame on the back. These vehicles are also used for removing fly-tips and clearing litter bins across the city.

Our street sweeping service adapts to the seasons as shown below.

Summer
In summer when the number of people walking through our city increases our street sweeping staff extend the time spent in the busy areas. This includes the city centre, shopping areas and the seafront.

Autumn
In autumn our street sweepers spend time collecting a total of around 80 tonnes of fallen leaves from the pavements and road sides.

Winter
In winter our street sweeping staff help in gritting the city and ensuring as much of it as possible is kept clear and safe.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Friends who haven't been down here for a few years came to visit recently and were appalled at the amount of dog shit everywhere.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
£250 for dropping litter
£500 for failing to clean up after your dog

Those should be the penalties imposed as a minimum.

Employ jobseekers as lookouts with a 50% fine retention to the jobseeker for each fine imposed.

Will reduce the benefits bill and clean up our cities at the same time.

And would be a worthwhile job, so it’s a this from me!!

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Street cleaners cleaning the streets of Windsor on Meridian Tonight.

Perhaps Brighton and Hove council have sent our street cleaners to Windsor to help with the wedding effort.:lolol:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Friends who haven't been down here for a few years came to visit recently and were appalled at the amount of dog shit everywhere.

Here in sunny Leigh on Sea we have a local council candidate known as "Dogshit Man" his sole manifesto promise is to deal with dogshit, to punish dogshit offenders and banish dogs (and their shit) from areas popular with families and children. He's never been elected but stands each and every time we vote.

Unlike the (complacent) Tory candidate and the (no hope) labour and lib dem stooges, he canvasses, knocks on doors and is totally fixated on dogshit. His flyers are hilarious as they feature many photos of dogshit and not much else.

I have voted for him at every opportunity, he's gaining ground and winning votes...VOTE DOGSHIT MAN!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here