Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Street cleaners

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do Brighton Council no longer employ street cleaners? Wife and I walked from Waitrose to Churchill Sq along Western Rd and were astonished at the state of the pavements which were very heavily laden with litter, fag ends and dog muck I know it is the reponsibility of indivduals but surely the council must have some responsibility.
    Yes, they do. They cleaning lorries and litter pickers operate constantly.

But keeping up with anti-social people isn't easy, especially given the cuts.
    The Albion Roar on Twitter
    New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by £1.99 View Post
      But you will get a fine if seen dropping litter in Brighton, think it's £75.
      There were quite a few caught and fined in Littlehampton about Easter time who were caught dropping fag butts.The fine with costs, amounted to about £290.00 per offence.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

8 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Baker lite View Post
      Brighton council are far to busy,offering support for jihadis is far more important than keeping the streets clean..some taxpayers are just nasty little Englanders.
      You'll be disappointed with that brain-dead, meaningless post. If you're not, you really should be.

You'd have to ask yourself why you posted it - aside from broadcasting to everyone your own stupidity.

Let's see - 'Brighton & Hove City Council care more about supporting jihadis than clearing up litter. True or false?'
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrong-Direction View Post
      Look at me, I shop in Waitrose

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
      Did I say I was shopping in Waitrose? No I didnt I just used that as a known focal point that even the buses name as a bus stop rather than any other shop or road.

1 Not allowed!
      Last weekend in Liverpool, I barely saw any litter on the streets (or graffiti). Ditto Newcastle.

I sometimes wonder that having so many visitors and a very transient population means that there isn't the same pride in the city or sense of ownership or feeling of belonging.
      Forever a DAFT Bint

0 Not allowed!
      Why have I suddenly got The Verve Bittersweet Symphony as an earworm?
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Was that today? I walked along half of that route yesterday, and it wasn't as bad you describe. Maybe the litter louts and dog walkers all went out overnight.

Incidentally, there are street cleaners in Brighton, because I've seen them.

We caught the bus home from The Old Steine at 1.00pm so it would have been about 1230 ish. I must admit I have never seen a cleaner on any street as per te old days of having having a barrow and trolley as per Robbie in Eastenders or even a motorised sweeping vehicle that does the job

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      We caught the bus home from The Old Steine at 1.00pm so it would have been about 1230 ish. I must admit I have never seen a cleaner on any street as per te old days of having having a barrow and trolley as per Robbie in Eastenders or even a motorised sweeping vehicle that does the job
      In which case I dispute your description, unless, as I say between 2pm yesterday and 1pm today, people went out with their dogs and litter to make sure 'it was very heavily laden'.
      I think you could be exaggerating.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lush View Post
      Last weekend in Liverpool, I barely saw any litter on the streets (or graffiti). Ditto Newcastle.
      Was just about to post the same (see also the graffiti thread). Spent Friday to Monday in Liverpool, and was surprised at how clean and apparently well-kept the city was, and the contrast with Brighton. And it wasn't just the city centre - we walked the 2.5 miles from the centre to Anfield on Sunday afternoon, through several areas of council and social housing, and again although the areas were clearly quite poor, the contrast with the comparable areas of Brighton when it came to lack of litter and fly-tipping, well-maintained gardens and public areas, was marked. I have no idea whether it's something to do with the council maintaining and cleaning the areas better, or a greater sense of civic pride amongst the locals or what, but it was a bit of an eye-opener, when you've become used to run-down, scruffy, litter- and graffiti-plagued Brighton, and went against the usual stereotypes about Scousers, areas of deprivation etc etc.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Should I say 'heavily laden is probably a slight exageration and I should perhaps have described it as an abundance of rubbish. I must admit the vast majority of it was take away items like MacDonalds and KFC cartons plus sanwich wrappers and empty Costa coffee sachets so it is possible that I saw it before the cleaners had arrived to clean it up after morning snacks and coffee.