Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Street cleaners

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do Brighton Council no longer employ street cleaners? Wife and I walked from Waitrose to Churchill Sq along Western Rd and were astonished at the state of the pavements which were very heavily laden with litter, fag ends and dog muck I know it is the reponsibility of indivduals but surely the council must have some responsibility.

Yes, they do. They cleaning lorries and litter pickers operate constantly.

But keeping up with anti-social people isn't easy, especially given the cuts.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But you will get a fine if seen dropping litter in Brighton, think it's £75.

There were quite a few caught and fined in Littlehampton about Easter time who were caught dropping fag butts.The fine with costs, amounted to about £290.00 per offence.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brighton council are far to busy,offering support for jihadis is far more important than keeping the streets clean..some taxpayers are just nasty little Englanders.

You'll be disappointed with that brain-dead, meaningless post. If you're not, you really should be.

You'd have to ask yourself why you posted it - aside from broadcasting to everyone your own stupidity.

Let's see - 'Brighton & Hove City Council care more about supporting jihadis than clearing up litter. True or false?' :facepalm:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Last weekend in Liverpool, I barely saw any litter on the streets (or graffiti). Ditto Newcastle.

I sometimes wonder that having so many visitors and a very transient population means that there isn't the same pride in the city or sense of ownership or feeling of belonging.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why have I suddenly got The Verve Bittersweet Symphony as an earworm?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was that today? I walked along half of that route yesterday, and it wasn't as bad you describe. Maybe the litter louts and dog walkers all went out overnight.

Incidentally, there are street cleaners in Brighton, because I've seen them.

We caught the bus home from The Old Steine at 1.00pm so it would have been about 1230 ish. I must admit I have never seen a cleaner on any street as per te old days of having having a barrow and trolley as per Robbie in Eastenders or even a motorised sweeping vehicle that does the job

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We caught the bus home from The Old Steine at 1.00pm so it would have been about 1230 ish. I must admit I have never seen a cleaner on any street as per te old days of having having a barrow and trolley as per Robbie in Eastenders or even a motorised sweeping vehicle that does the job

In which case I dispute your description, unless, as I say between 2pm yesterday and 1pm today, people went out with their dogs and litter to make sure 'it was very heavily laden'.
I think you could be exaggerating.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Last weekend in Liverpool, I barely saw any litter on the streets (or graffiti). Ditto Newcastle.

Was just about to post the same (see also the graffiti thread). Spent Friday to Monday in Liverpool, and was surprised at how clean and apparently well-kept the city was, and the contrast with Brighton. And it wasn't just the city centre - we walked the 2.5 miles from the centre to Anfield on Sunday afternoon, through several areas of council and social housing, and again although the areas were clearly quite poor, the contrast with the comparable areas of Brighton when it came to lack of litter and fly-tipping, well-maintained gardens and public areas, was marked. I have no idea whether it's something to do with the council maintaining and cleaning the areas better, or a greater sense of civic pride amongst the locals or what, but it was a bit of an eye-opener, when you've become used to run-down, scruffy, litter- and graffiti-plagued Brighton, and went against the usual stereotypes about Scousers, areas of deprivation etc etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should I say 'heavily laden is probably a slight exageration and I should perhaps have described it as an abundance of rubbish. I must admit the vast majority of it was take away items like MacDonalds and KFC cartons plus sanwich wrappers and empty Costa coffee sachets so it is possible that I saw it before the cleaners had arrived to clean it up after morning snacks and coffee.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's an unusually dirty town. But it's a place of renters, drifters, not enough people have pride in it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One Sunday morning around 5am last summer I was walking along Brighton seafront by the arches, just as the street cleaners were emptying all the bins and tidying up the detritus from the previous night. The amount of shit and corruption just had to be seen to be believed. Bins overflowing, polystyrene containers strewn everywhere, bottles, cans, napkins absolutely all over the shop on the promenade, on the beach, on the arches pathways, everywhere. I honestly had no idea how horrific the litter gets over the course of a Saturday night in Brighton, it was shocking.

I came back along later that morning, and it was spotless. They'd done an INCREDIBLE job clearing all that muck up, you'd never have known what a catastrophic mess it was just a few hours earlier. It shouldn't be necessary though. People are scum.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Should I say 'heavily laden is probably a slight exageration and I should perhaps have described it as an abundance of rubbish. I must admit the vast majority of it was take away items like MacDonalds and KFC cartons plus sanwich wrappers and empty Costa coffee sachets so it is possible that I saw it before the cleaners had arrived to clean it up after morning snacks and coffee.

But the point still stands that it should not be like that after the morning binge, at anytime of day people should put rubbish in bins.
But, did you notice if bins were full and they had not got round to emptying them, if they were full and it's windy then the litter can be blown about, also seagulls can cause litter to be thrown about.
Although there are some cities that are suprisingly clean and graffiti clear we are a nation of litter droppers, especially gum, and what is dog shit in poo bags hanging from trees all about, chuffing disgusting.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
One Sunday morning around 5am last summer I was walking along Brighton seafront by the arches, just as the street cleaners were emptying all the bins and tidying up the detritus from the previous night. The amount of shit and corruption just had to be seen to be believed. Bins overflowing, polystyrene containers strewn everywhere, bottles, cans, napkins absolutely all over the shop on the promenade, on the beach, on the arches pathways, everywhere. I honestly had no idea how horrific the litter gets over the course of a Saturday night in Brighton, it was shocking.

I came back along later that morning, and it was spotless. They'd done an INCREDIBLE job clearing all that muck up, you'd never have known what a catastrophic mess it was just a few hours earlier. It shouldn't be necessary though. People are scum.

Love your little stories.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Do Brighton Council no longer employ street cleaners? Wife and I walked from Waitrose to Churchill Sq along Western Rd and were astonished at the state of the pavements which were very heavily laden with litter, fag ends and dog muck I know it is the reponsibility of indivduals but surely the council must have some responsibility.

Yes it does.

Next question.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But the point still stands that it should not be like that after the morning binge, at anytime of day people should put rubbish in bins.
But, did you notice if bins were full and they had not got round to emptying them, if they were full and it's windy then the litter can be blown about, also seagulls can cause litter to be thrown about.
Although there are some cities that are suprisingly clean and graffiti clear we are a nation of litter droppers, especially gum, and what is dog shit in poo bags hanging from trees all about, chuffing disgusting.

I didnt notice or look.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Well there you go then, they do a great job early in the morning and then as soon as KFC opens the dirty gits go and drop some more down.
It's only going to be permanently clean if the cleaners are there all day.
It's not the councils fault it's the dirty lazy nuggets that drop it.
In Singapore they would get a couple of lashes.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

THIS.

I walk the dog around the streets of Brighton and along the seafront most mornings. The amount of rubbish on the beach (within feet of the bins) is disgusting - the Tuesday morning after the bank holiday weekend was carnage. I tend to pick up the odd bit of rubbish on the beach (particularly glass bottles), I pick up every last bit of his crap - sh|tty pebbles included, yet I'm not really supposed to be on the beach with the dog at all at this time of year. Go figure!

People are indeed, SCUM

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I sometimes wonder that having so many visitors and a very transient population means that there isn't the same pride in the city or sense of ownership or feeling of belonging.

Ha, really? Newcastle is a real mess most of the time. Get out of the city centre and it is even worse, far worse than Brighton having lived in both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here