Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Transfer Window opens today!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't work out if the World Cup will mean we will do business early or very late?
Some players want their future sorted out before the World Cup - Delaney has stated this I think. Presumably meaning before his squad meets up, not meaning before kick off in the 1st game. ( The trouble with Delaney is that half the PL are rumoured to be looking at him, also Dortmund ).

Andone may be another where an early deal is possible.

A fair few deals will though be after the World Cup.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I can't work out if the World Cup will mean we will do business early or very late?

You usually get around 3-4 players virtually unheard of on NSC and outside their respective countries/club teams that shine in major tournaments then are quickly snapped up by Premier League teams without them really analysing the players properly , i remember seeing Rojo for the first time in the world cup not really knowing much about them and thought my god what a player , along with Angel Di Maria who looked the complete footballer , they quickly became Utd players but in reality they never did up to this point stand out like they did in the world cup , don't get me wrong those 2 iv'e mentioned are good players but not as good as i think UTD (and me ) thought they were going to be , i would expect a little more caution from big 6 teams this time around but compulsive buying on little evidence will happen from lazy clubs with money to burn .

Teams like Iceland , Iran , Saudi Arabia will have a few players that will suprise the world with their skill and quality ,but can they produce this in club football is the real question the scouting teams will have to ask themselves , there have been plenty of failures post world cup signings and the odd bullseye ,but i really can't see Brighton throwing cash at a World Cup sensation as i expect them to have done their homework already and are busy now trying to tie up deals in Norway , Greece , Portugal , and Shrewsbury (probably ) .

so to answer your question , i don't know , but your post gave me a opportunity to post my ramblings .

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You usually get around 3-4 players virtually unheard of on NSC and outside their respective countries/club teams that shine in major tournaments then are quickly snapped up by Premier League teams without them really analysing the players properly , i remember seeing Rojo for the first time in the world cup not really knowing much about them and thought my god what a player , along with Angel Di Maria who looked the complete footballer , they quickly became Utd players but in reality they never did up to this point stand out like they did in the world cup , don't get me wrong those 2 iv'e mentioned are good players but not as good as i think UTD (and me ) thought they were going to be , i would expect a little more caution from big 6 teams this time around but compulsive buying on little evidence will happen from lazy clubs with money to burn .

Teams like Iceland , Iran , Saudi Arabia will have a few players that will suprise the world with their skill and quality ,but can they produce this in club football is the real question the scouting teams will have to ask themselves , there have been plenty of failures post world cup signings and the odd bullseye ,but i really can't see Brighton throwing cash at a World Cup sensation as i expect them to have done their homework already and are busy now trying to tie up deals in Norway , Greece , Portugal , and Shrewsbury (probably ) .

so to answer your question , i don't know , but your post gave me a opportunity to post my ramblings .

Buying a player who shines at the World Cup is a mug's game.

This was backed up by stats in Soccernomics iirc

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
[MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] did an excellent thread last year - I hope he's got the time and inclination to do a follow up for this window.

:albion2:

ta! not much flying about yet. a little bit of outgoing (Goldson) and incoming (Andone) but bit thin on the ground.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
No point we never have a clue until a day or so before a signing is made these days. It’s just pissing in the wind in hopeful expectation and with no foundation at all any more...mostly. I do remember some rumours about the players who the failed medicals or rejected us though.

Ha ! look harder Icy. Bit harsh to say NSC transfer threads are merely "pissing in the wind" although naturally there's a lot of chaff and not much wheat.
Last year there was plenty of speculation about Izzy Brown weeks before he signed. And Raphael Dwamena weeks before his failed medical.
NSC had a thread about Barber in Spain (and a photo by someone coincidentally travelling at same time) pretty much confirming we were signing Ryan ahead of any press coverage.
Propper was broken on here (via foreign press) about 24 hours before actual signing. There's a lot of guff obviously, but some of the foreign reporting about Albion interest, and bids actually turns out to be true. (and thats normally reported back on here swiftly) and the odd , although increasingly rare, of i've been told x or y confirming a story. Although admittedly the club are one of the best at keeping things close to their chest.
Also Some of the insight on here by national football journos and fans alike also has new angles on signing and what the club are really up to. If you know where to look...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ha ! look harder Icy. Bit harsh to say NSC transfer threads are merely "pissing in the wind" although naturally there's a lot of chaff and not much wheat.
Last year there was plenty of speculation about Izzy Brown weeks before he signed. And Raphael Dwamena weeks before his failed medical.
NSC had a thread about Barber in Spain (and a photo by someone coincidentally travelling at same time) pretty much confirming we were signing Ryan ahead of any press coverage.
Propper was broken on here (via foreign press) about 24 hours before actual signing. There's a lot of guff obviously, but some of the foreign reporting about Albion interest, and bids actually turns out to be true. (and thats normally reported back on here swiftly) and the odd , although increasingly rare, of i've been told x or y confirming a story. Although admittedly the club are one of the best at keeping things close to their chest.
Also Some of the insight on here by national football journos and fans alike also has new angles on signing and what the club are really up to. If you know where to look...

I did say that transfers about to happen didn’t get on here until about a day before hand which would cover the Propper and Ryan signings and I also said that a failed medical one also did! So I’m not that far off and most of the rumours ARE pissing in the wind from fans. Our needs are nowhere near as intense and season defining as they were last close season so I am going to put my slippers on, sit back, relax and wait without fretting this close season :smile:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The World Cup may unearth a few diamonds, global shop window and all.

Too often you see a player shine at a major tournament and then sink back into the bog of mediocrity, I give you Robson-Kanu. It would be great to do some early business but I don’t think the pressure will be so intense this year.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Surely recruitment teams are keeping tabs on potential players for months or even years before signing them rather than watching the World Cup and thinking "ooh he looks good let's sign him"? It's not like playing Football Manager or Fifa.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
1. Ryan
2. Krul ( HGP ) or New Signing
3. Maenpaa or Walton ( HGP ) or New Signing
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. New Signing (Fullback)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. Goldson ( HGP ) or New Signing
12. New Signing (Central Defender)
13. New Signing (Central Midfield)
14. Stephens ( HGP )
15. Pröpper
16. Kayal
17. Knockaert
18. Izquierdo
19. March ( HGP )
20. Skalak or New Signing
21. Groß
22. New Signing (Attacking midfield)
23. Murray
24. Hemed or New Signing
25. Locadia
26. Baldock ( HGP ) or New Signing

1 OF THE NEW SIGNINGS UNDER 21 - so the squad is 25 players.

Not in squad :
Towell
Norwood

Quality not quantity needed.

Has Murphy definitely gone yet?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Delaney, Denswil, Dost and Dwamena.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills