Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex pitch - gone already!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do they sell the old turf. i would love to returf my garden with a bit of the Amex pitch.

Previous seasons they’ve scimmed the pitch not cut turfs.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Apparently they had to dig it right back and re level it out due to IZQUIERDO belting up and down the wings causing a nasty TRENCH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I know they have been doing this for a few years now, but is it really necessary every season? Must cost a bit. Why not every 2 years?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Was the pitch that bad? Always looked good, although I do sit pretty low down.

I was always slightly disappointed with it when you looked closely at it. Muddy patches in goal mouth area's as well as other areas just off the pitch. Considering it's a new stadium and pitch I thought it could be better.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How did you get to play there if you don’t mind me asking? It’s on my bucket list. Do they stilll rent it out?

You need to get yourself a job with Amex! It's an annual perk, they have the pitch for a 6 a side tournament. The pitch is split into four and you get a good solid hour or two of football. If you volunteer to work for Albion in the Community as an Amex employee, you get to play in the full 11 a side game which includes use of the changing rooms. Now THAT is one hell of an experience and I'll always be greatful to [MENTION=14254]mistahclarke[/MENTION] for making it happen first time around! :bowdown:

But ultimately, it's another shoutout to [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] for helping me into Amex in the first instance. :bowdown:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Looking for the missing cup money? (Before he posts it!)

Do they replace the Amex grass each close season these days?

Seems to be the norm now, as a gardener (not a groundsman) I wonder why? I would have thought a turf would benefit from longevity by having stronger roots, better growth and more resilience to winter and drought. It would need scarifying and plenty of TLC to keep it up to spec of course, but would be considerably cheaper in the long term I would of thought.. I wonder if any groundsman could explain the annual replacement?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems to be the norm now, as a gardener (not a groundsman) I wonder why? I would have thought a turf would benefit from longevity by having stronger roots, better growth and more resilience to winter and drought. It would need scarifying and plenty of TLC to keep it up to spec of course, but would be considerably cheaper in the long term I would of thought.. I wonder if any groundsman could explain the annual replacement?

It's not just 'turf' though is it, (before I continue anyone looking out of my kitchen window will know I'm already out of my depth) but isn't it all manner of 'weave' seemingly laid on a sand type substrate.

http://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/football-pitch-grass-types/

Described somewhat euphemistically as a ‘sports playing field surface’, Desso Grassmaster is arguably the most popular and common hybrid system available in the game today. It is made up of a mixture of natural grass and artificial fibres but it passes the FA’s rules regarding such a thing because of the amount of artificial grass fibres in play on any given pitch.

The fibres are injected into the turf twenty centimetres deep and only cover about 3% of the entire surface of the pitch. As the grass grows its roots intertwine with the artificial fibres and this anchors the field of play. The company that makes it claims that this allows for a solid, even structure of turf with better drainage than natural grass on its own and improved ‘playing comfort’.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here