Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ray Wilson RIP

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jimmy Langley was doing that in the 50s,firstly for us, then continued at Fulham.

I would agree that Jimmy Langley was a v ery good left back for us who started as a left winger IIRC for Guildford City before joining Leeds Utd then us under Billy Lane but I do not think that he got forward as much as or was as good at it as Ray Wilson.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP one of the only Englishmen who will ever lift the World Cup in history . Certainly will not happen again .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Probably one of our least remembered World Cup winners, almost half of that team gone now, all very sad.

R.I.P. Ray.

He was still quite well known around Huddersfield as he was a local undertaker once he'd hung up his boots. He was one of my favourite World Cup stars along with Nobby Stiles. Everyone adored Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst, Jimmy Greaves etc, but I liked Ray.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
He was still quite well known around Huddersfield as he was a local undertaker once he'd hung up his boots. He was one of my favourite World Cup stars along with Nobby Stiles. Everyone adored Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst, Jimmy Greaves etc, but I liked Ray.

Could not have put it better myself. Ray Wilson was underrated but for me he was a class player and I loved his attacking runs. Modern day equivalent could be Wayne Bridge.

I feel very lucky that I was around for England winning the World Cup. Not sure when it will happen again but given I am in my late 70’s probably not in my lifetime.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I feel very lucky that I was around for England winning the World Cup. Not sure when it will happen again but given I am in my late 70’s probably not in my lifetime.

I was around but too young to really appreciate the 1966 World Cup, in 1970 I was totally into it & assumed we would win it again.

Thank you Gerd Muller & Peter Bonetti... :down:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
RIP Ray.

I only hope our remaining 1966 heroes continue to live long and healthy lives

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
According to these guys he was Great Britain's best ever Left Back.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I'm a little like you in that respect perhaps. During my 30 year Albion supporting 'career', my fave players have never been the really start names, the forwards banging in the goals. The players that l have admired most are the more unsung members of the team, often defenders, names such as Eric Young, Kevan Brown, Gary Chivers, Paul Watson, Marcos Painter, Danny Cullip to name but a few.

Not names you regularly read in the headlines, but who do (or did) just as valuable a job for the team in my opinion.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Upset that there wasn't more coverage of his death on the BBC but wouldn't expect them to honour properly one of our heroes.

Played in my favoured position at school and whilst Stuart Pearce was more my inspiration, I was well aware of Ray Wilson and how popular he was in the team when left-backs were rarer.

RIP Ray.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I think England's World Cup winning team had four players who would have been picked for any team in The World at that time, in today's terms world class. Banks, Moore, Bobby Charlton and Ray Wilson. We have been very lucky over the years for Left Backs, Wilson, Pearce and Cole all spring immediately to mind, all very different, I wouldn't like to pick between them. RIP Ray

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Upset that there wasn't more coverage of his death on the BBC but wouldn't expect them to honour properly one of our heroes.

Played in my favoured position at school and whilst Stuart Pearce was more my inspiration, I was well aware of Ray Wilson and how popular he was in the team when left-backs were rarer.

RIP Ray.

The problem is, that we won the World Cup 52 years ago this summer, and more than half of the population weren't around to wtness it. All of us on NSC are football iovers, and either saw the game, or know the story. Unfortunately however, not everybody is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here