Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Stupid IDIOT Ernest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    LOONEY BIN
    Posts
    37,778


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been commuting from Fav to London for 30 years. It got seriously shitter and more expensive after Major flogged it off in a last gasp attempted election bribe that failed. And locked it into an arrangement that can't be reversed without massive reimbursement. Corbyn has been on a serious skunk binge if he thinks he can renationalise the lot. The compo would be interstellar, never mind inter city...
    Shows how little you know as at least 4 other franchises are on the brink of going under and will return to public ownership without a penny being paid.
    Put me on ignore me if you don’t like the facts

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Expert....
      Couple of weeks working from home....yes, yes, that's right
      I don't miss the time wasted though. Not at all....
      Do you have commuting buddies, share beers on journeys back on Fridays, Christmas breakfast last day going in, silly hats on birthdays? Or is it not like that?
    • #23

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Shows how little you know as at least 4 other franchises are on the brink of going under and will return to public ownership without a penny being paid.
      Put me on ignore me if you don’t like the facts
      Get those printing presses going Ernest, Momentum, I mean Corbyn want to go beyond rail when nationalising. We will all work for red Jeremy, incentivised by doing good for the Momentum visionaries
    • #24
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Faversham
      Posts
      8,692


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hampster Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Do you have commuting buddies, share beers on journeys back on Fridays, Christmas breakfast last day going in, silly hats on birthdays? Or is it not like that?
      There was a bunch who had a piss up on the way in every last Friday of the month back in the eary 90s but, no, I sit quietly with my iPod on and read the paper, do the Sudoku, then read some of my book. First class is shit and not much more expensive than standard but is supposed to guarantee me a seat...mostly it does....in a few days I will be eligible for a geriatric's pass so that may take the sting out of the sufferage going forward, if I don't simply retire ... and at one time I was so young and full of optimism and resiliance....<sigh>
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

      Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
    • #25

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      There was a bunch who had a piss up on the way in every last Friday of the month back in the eary 90s but, no, I sit quietly with my iPod on and read the paper, do the Sudoku, then read some of my book. First class is shit and not much more expensive than standard but is supposed to guarantee me a seat...mostly it does....in a few days I will be eligible for a geriatric's pass so that may take the sting out of the sufferage going forward, if I don't simply retire ... and at one time I was so young and full of optimism and resiliance....<sigh>
      I have an image of Reginal Perrin. You're still young at heart HWT. Buy an iPad Pro, expensive but you can get work done if you want and more importantly good for all the fun stuff too. I’ve got one myself and now rarely use the work laptop. I only have a short tube commute if I don’t drive but it does mean I work less frequently when at home.
    • #26
      Members brightn'ove's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Location
      London
      Posts
      7,673


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJasperCo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I guarantee delays and cancellations will be no better under a nationalised rail network. Claiming compensation will be worse, because of course it is partly state-owned, and where there's government interference there's copious bureaucracy to negotiate with each claim.

      Nationalisation in the 90s wasn't all that, surely?
      This line was publically owned before it was given to virgin/stagecoach under the tories. During public ownership it was absolutely brilliant and made a profit for the government.
    • #27
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      41,739


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TomandJerry View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Rail services on East Coast Main Line are being brought back under UK government control!
      Would happen in Germany.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #28
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      45,749


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      pre-privatisation rail was perfect. trains where clean, comfortable and quick, always ran on time and had gourmet buffet cars. friendly British Rail staff did everything in their power to make a pleasant trip and never any disputes. we can look forward to return of those halcyon days of rail.
      I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture when you talk glibly and sarcastically about performance prior to privatisation. I'll start by saying that I don't think it was any worse in those days. There were always overpaid, striking workers, and frequent delays, but those problems haven't been resolved by privatisation. (In fact, they've got worse - certainly on the Southern network). But I could put my bike on the train, and I could honestly say that I didn't feel ripped off by the cost of train tickets which have increased by absurd levels year on year for decades since 1993.

      I'd say that the biggest problems have always been caused by chronic lack of investment. These days we get investment, but it all seems rather superficial. So instead of train companies buying proper rolling stock that costs a bit but does the job and lasts for decades, they buy the cheap Italian crap made of tin foil that break down constantly. That's not cost control, that's penny pinching at our expense. Additionally, because they are all separate companies, they are not part of a coherent transport policy, so ticketing across companies is a mess and they don't have carriages to allow bikes to be taken on board.

      Your argument has always been that the cost control they now implement means they now make money rather than bleeding the state. But what good is that if we are allowing our rail companies to be bought by entities outside this country? It means we get all the downside of privatisation (lack of integration, control, no competition to drive improvements, and a national asset the state no longer owns) and none of the upside (the corporation tax profits to the treasury is paid for by us, in the form of higher fares, but a lot of the remaining profit has left the country). Meanwhile, the service has been appalling for years, to the point of being a national disgrace.

      I'm not against privatisation of state assets at all. It should be encouraged wherever competition can improve service, the privatisation of British Telecom and some of Royal Mail's services for example. But rail? It's been a shambles and a failure on pretty much every level as we all knew it would be when Major rushed it through before he was trounced at the polls.
      Last edited by Simster; 17-05-2018 at 08:21.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
    • #29
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      16,058


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Been commuting from Fav to London for 30 years. It got seriously shitter and more expensive after Major flogged it off in a last gasp attempted election bribe that failed. And locked it into an arrangement that can't be reversed without massive reimbursement. Corbyn has been on a serious skunk binge if he thinks he can renationalise the lot. The compo would be interstellar, never mind inter city...
      Or alternatively they could just wait until the franchises expire.

    • #30
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      23,996


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture when you talk glibly and sarcastically about performance prior to privatisation.
      i'm poking fun at the notion that privatisation is the cause of the problems in rail. a passing interest in the history of rail tells me they have always had the same problems, under-investment, delays, old rolling stock, apart from a narrow window in early 20th century which is romanticised. nationalisation will not address any of these problems without massive public money, which no one wants to pay for. they didn't in the post-war period, fudging the transition to diesel then electrification in an adhoc manner, cant see it happening now or the future, it will change ownership but investment will remain low. rolling stock has massively improved on many lines in the past couple of decades, so its not been all bad. that said, i dont see a good case for privatised rail as the scope for competition is limited, should be run along not-for profit lines imo.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •