Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hughes to be sacked today ?????

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well it does appear bad news day for Premier League managers

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well if Stains do sack him, then the football world really has gone mad. I don't like the guy, far too arrogant for my liking, yet it does need to be said, that he has done wonders for the club, and kept them in the Premier League.

Still, l suppose we all know, that the word 'loyalty' was erased from the dictionary years ago now.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Further evidence that modern-day football club owners haven't got a clue.

Allardyce - Brought in to do a job which he delivered on - SACKED
Moyes - Brought in to do a job which he delivered on - SACKED
Hughes - Brought in to do a job which he delivered on (massively) - ???????

Crazy times

kjgood

Further evidence that modern-day football club owners haven't got a clue.

Allardyce - Brought in to do a job which he delivered on - SACKED
Moyes - Brought in to do a job which he delivered on - SACKED
Hughes - Brought in to do a job which he delivered on (massively) - ???????

Crazy times

The whole thng is mad. We give Chrissie a new three year contract because he keeps us in the Premier League and we are really happy with him (I am a fan of his and not being critical of him in any way). Everton were in crap street, finish way above us and thier manager is sacked, the same for West Ham in crap street, finish above us and sacked, and Southampton not that far behind us and who knows? whats going on in some Chairmans minds?????? Thank god for TB.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The whole thng is mad. We give Chrissie a new three year contract because he keeps us in the Premier League and we are really happy with him (I am a fan of his and not being critical of him in any way). .

As others said timing was key. If Hughton was on Everton or West Ham radar, he's now off it given his new contract.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
They won't sack him. He'll get a contract. It'd be foolish not to.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
These clubs are basically sacking short-term firefighters, because now they're safe for another year, they're all falling over themselves desperate to appear more forward-thinking by bringing in someone with a fancy foreign accent for the "long term".

That'll last till around Christmas when they're hovering around the arse-end of the table. Then Jose / Carlos / Juan will get the boot, and they'll revert to some Pulisball to save their arses again over the second half of the season.

Repeat.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As others said timing was key. If Hughton was on Everton or West Ham radar, he's now off it given his new contract.

Why would Chris Hughton be tempted by the Everton and West Ham jobs anyway? Footballing wise we are now pretty much capable of competing with either of them, and in Wet Sham's case at least, they have a terrible reputation when it comes to the hiring and firing of managers.

I'm sure that he is astute enough to be aware that he is in a win win situation with us, Tony Bloom has only ever sacked one manager, and tahat was because of gross misconduct, nothing to do with what happened on the football pitch. If he is sensible, he virtually has a job here for as long as he likes.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What more could Hughes realistically have done with that squad in that mindset at that stage of the season? Did they expect him to finish top 4?

Once more we see the arrogance of clubs who think they're bigger than they are and assume they should be qualifying for Europe every season, when football doesn't work like that anymore. I hope both go down and stay down for a bit to knock a bit of humility into them.

Mind you, it didn't work for Massive or Leeds...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Semantics, perhaps, but Hughes can't be 'sacked'.

His contract was only until the end of the season. He is not currently in the job.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hughes is more likely to jump ship to go to a 'bigger' club, such as West Ham or Everton. Same happened when he went to City, as I remember. Can't stand the bloke.

However, all the time these clubs keep chopping and changing, it's better for the Albion I reckon. Stability cannot be underestimated in a football club, both on and off the pitch...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well if Stains do sack him, then the football world really has gone mad. I don't like the guy, far too arrogant for my liking, yet it does need to be said, that he has done wonders for the club, and kept them in the Premier League.

Still, l suppose we all know, that the word 'loyalty' was erased from the dictionary years ago now.

This.

He's hated on NSC but he did a quality job in galvanising a squad which most NSC'ers wrote off as Championship bound. NSC headlines were written about Hughes sending 2 clubs down in the same season, which proved bollocks.

He gave Stokes their best PL finishes, and was powerless to let Anautovic go (player power won over Stoke).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Semantics, perhaps, but Hughes can't be 'sacked'.

His contract was only until the end of the season. He is not currently in the job.

And there are some, for that very reason, (playing devils advocate you understand), who will say that the club have fulfilled their obligation, i.e. employed him until the end of his contract.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hughes did a great job at stoke. He's worth a 5 year contract for sure

Hughes comes with a ''Ten Man Entourage'' - He doesn't do any of the coaching. He is a figurehead. Southampton employed his group because that was what was available. They are not the type of club who would normally pay out that sort of money on a Management and Coaching Team. So that might put them off keeping him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here