Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which Club Will Perform Badly Next Season?

el punal

Well we survived! Quite comfortably in the end and, no doubt, the club are already putting into action plans for improving our lot next term - thus avoiding the dreaded second season syndrome.

So, disregarding ourselves in this matter, who do you reckon will struggle to survive the drop from the Premier League next year?

For me, and based purely on gut instinct, I think Leicester will struggle. (Maybe the team too good to go down?). I think Watford and Bournemouth will be in the mix, although that seems to be said at the start of every season! But my predicted three for relegation would be Cardiff - I’m not sure that they’ll cope with the step up to the next level. Huddersfield - shame really, but I just feel the struggle to survive will be too much. Southampton - they got out of jail this time around only because Swansea were so inept. Yes, they got the points, just, but really their performances over the last four games papered over some enormous cracks within the team, and the club itself.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Cardiff - Don't play enough football
Burnley - Their depth of squad is not there to cope with Europa League and the PL
Huddersfield - Difficult second season syndrome

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Watford may be one who'll drop next year. Cardiff and...? I suppose Huddersfield if Wagner goes.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'm going with Watford. They only survived thanks to their good early start. They spent badly last summer with Andre Gray being their record signing, plus Richarlison becoming an absolute flop after all the early hype. I bet their 2nd half of the season form will follow through to next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Watford, Huddersfield, Cardiff, with West Ham as outside bet. It really does depend on what goes on with managers and transfers, but they look the likeliest candidates at present.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I also think Burnley might find it tough going in the league with the distraction of a European campaign.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I just looked - Burnley have got 3 Europa League rounds to play just to get to the group stages. They come in at the Second Qualifying Round:

Second qualifying round: 1st Leg - July 26, 2nd Leg - August 2nd
Third qualifying round: 1st Leg - August 9th, 2nd Leg - August 16th
Play Off Round: 1st leg - August 23rd, 2nd Leg - August 30th

No guarantee they'll make the group stages of course, but if they do that's a lot of extra games and playing Thursday/Sunday for them.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wolves possibly? Everyone is assuming they will storm into the premier league and be comfortable mid-table, but its not so simple, especially if the hype gets too far ahead of reality.

Next season could be tougher for us - we had just one week in the relegation zone this season, suspensions and injuries only hurt us at the end, will it be so straightforward next year - especially if we lose Dunk?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think we have to accept that if we don't find a way of playing that challenges in games against the top 6 or , we will be down there and at risk.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wolves possibly?
Nah. They're currently pretty good, and will be spending big again.
Next season could be tougher for us - we had just one week in the relegation zone this season, suspensions and injuries only hurt us at the end, will it be so straightforward next year - especially if we lose Dunk?
I'm hoping we won't be losing Dunk yet. No reason to let players go at the first sign of interest.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Southampton. They were lucky this year, they have deep routed problems.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see West Ham down there again. Also if Benitez goes, which is very possible, Newcastle will struggle.

Huddersfield, Watford and Cardiff will be there or thereabouts and possibly Burnley?! To be honest, I can't see it being any different to this season with nothing between the bottom 14.

Last edited:

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Leicester City, an aging Vardy, Maguire on his way out, Mahrez maybe on his way

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Burnley

...and Brighton (just setting my expectations low)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here