Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Allardyce Sacked

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not quite. Contractors don't get a massive payout when their contract is ended early. He's more like a permie who has a good CV, interviews well, but after a couple of years becomes poor at his / her job and goes from redundancy payment to redundancy payment.

Except in football, having a series of short engagements where you're fired at the end doesn't stop people from employing you the next time.

Yeah fair point. He knew they were going to get rid of him its why he refused the short term contract.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But surely - if he had any integrity or honesty he would not have let that situation arise. Simple as that. The bloke is a cretin.

The far east "businessmen" he met in that sting they set up offered him a job as a keynote speaker at events. He said he would have to check with his employers before he could consider it. I don't see much wrong with that. He also acknowledged that getting round the rules concerning 3rd party ownership of players goes on all the time with agents - without actually giving them instructions on how its done. Just saying that it does go on.

Shooting his mouth off about Roy was fairly classless, but hardly a sackable offence. In fact none of it was. Typical FA fudge though, blowing in the wind whenever there is a "media storm" over something. They got cold feet, binned him off and appointed a blazer in his place.

All that was needed was an apology from BFS and everyone could've moved on. It was a truly pathetic sacking, but I expect nothing less from those spineless weasels.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The far east "businessmen" he met in that sting they set up offered him a job as a keynote speaker at events. He said he would have to check with his employers before he could consider it. I don't see much wrong with that. He also acknowledged that getting round the rules concerning 3rd party ownership of players goes on all the time with agents - without actually giving them instructions on how its done. Just saying that it does go on.

Shooting his mouth off about Roy was fairly classless, but hardly a sackable offence. In fact none of it was. Typical FA fudge though, blowing in the wind whenever there is a "media storm" over something. They got cold feet, binned him off and appointed a blazer in his place.

All that was needed was an apology from BFS and everyone could've moved on. It was a truly pathetic sacking, but I expect nothing less from those spineless weasels.

Agreed - but money would have changed hands in a rather underhand way (which is a sacking offence in my book) - besides which wasn't he getting paid enough already?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think BFS would have got Everton a comfortable top 6 or 7 finish, something that isn't guaranteed with Silva in charge. I hope they flop badly again and end up in the bottom 6 fighting relegation all season.

Hard to have any sympathy for a man walking away with a payout larger than 99% of us on here will earn in our lifetime.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Presumably his sacking was as a result of Rooney's "it's him or me" ultimatum?

Sad when a player can't recognise that they are a pale shadow of the player they were 10 years ago and have unrealistically decided that they are still worthy of a starting place in every game. But then it is Rooney!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As I recall, it took AGES to fill the position at Everton and Sam effectively ruled himself out (on Talkshite with Brazil, I think) before being announced shortly afterwards. Not sure if he was even SECOND choice after Silva. I reckon he knew it was coming and his 'outrage' is all pantomime. Paints him in a bit of a better light and therefore stands a slightly better chance of getting a similar gig next season.

Meanwhile, I'm sure he'll team up with his buddy 'Al' for more scintillating breakfast radio :yawn:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't understand the animosity to Allardyce. Although he might look like an old fashioned clogger centre half (which I think he was) as a manager he was ahead of his time, very progressive and doing things which would have earned him admiration if he'd been Italian or Spanish or whatever. Diets, sports psychology - all that sort of stuff - he was using long before a lot of other managers had even thought of it. And his Bolton team, Jay Jay Okocha and all, was a joy to watch.
Plus he's pretty much delivered ever since - Blackburn I would judge as his least successful spell, but then again he showed great perspicacity getting the hell out of there when he did! He's taken Everton from relegation to 8th.place in half a season - yes, too right he'll get another job!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed - but money would have changed hands in a rather underhand way (which is a sacking offence in my book) - besides which wasn't he getting paid enough already?

Well there's no evidence of that. He was drawn into a meeting about a business proposition, and apparently did it as more as a favour for a friend of his. A couple of pints of wine later and boom, he's on the front pages, and soon after that he's back on the dole.

I'd have liked to have seen what he would've done with England. The football wouldn't have been pretty, but he does have a skill for getting teams organised, whilst getting the most out of limited resources. Everyone wants to play like Spain, but when you don't have the tools at your disposal, you do the best that you can with the tools you have (and some of our players certainly are tools). We'd not have done any worse under BFS.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Well there's no evidence of that. He was drawn into a meeting about a business proposition, and apparently did it as more as a favour for a friend of his. A couple of pints of wine later and boom, he's on the front pages, and soon after that he's back on the dole.

I'd have liked to have seen what he would've done with England. The football wouldn't have been pretty, but he does have a skill for getting teams organised, whilst getting the most out of limited resources. Everyone wants to play like Spain, but when you don't have the tools at your disposal, you do the best that you can with the tools you have (and some of our players certainly are tools). We'd not have done any worse under BFS.

Me too - a shame really. The one time when the FA took a bit of risk (for once in their lives) as well.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Totally agree.

el punal

Yeah, in the same way that Gus Poyet was fired live on air.

I don't believe it, not for a second. Big Sam knew full well that he was out, but it's why he demanded an 18 month contract rather than 6, so that when they binned him off he got his customary hench payout. It's another success story for Big Sam, goes into a club which is underperforming and gets them defending properly and getting the required results and then leaves with a big pay day. He'll show up at whichever Premier League club is struggling first next season and do the same again, the man is a pro.

Hasn’t he got a children’s TV series named after him - Fireman Sam?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He also acknowledged that getting round the rules concerning 3rd party ownership of players goes on all the time with agents - without actually giving them instructions on how its done. Just saying that it does go on.
No, he wasn't just saying that it goes on, he said 'there are ways round that', giving the impression that he was fine with it, and could help if needed, rather than 'well it does happen'.

It was a truly pathetic sacking, but I expect nothing less from those spineless weasels.
The thing is, if Sam was the right man for the job, I'd rather they kept him on, it wasn't that big of a deal. I can't see how he was the right man though. He's not even good enough for Everton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's plenty good enough for Everton (and England; those smart arses that set up the sting did England football no favours at all) - it's Everton's loss (and I'm not just thinking about the £6M quid they've shelled out for nothing).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not a lot different to when Mike Bailey was sacked by us - and he got us to our highest ever league position. Another example of gratitude for you. It went downhill from there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No, he wasn't just saying that it goes on, he said 'there are ways round that', giving the impression that he was fine with it, and could help if needed, rather than 'well it does happen'.

The thing is, if Sam was the right man for the job, I'd rather they kept him on, it wasn't that big of a deal. I can't see how he was the right man though. He's not even good enough for Everton.

As regards the ways round 3rd party ownership, its pure supposition to say he'd help them find ways round it if needed. He never offered that, he just said there are ways round it, which anyone involved in the game would know. To sack him on that basis was flimsy in the extreme. Had he of been of a mind to, I'm sure a lawsuit for unfair dismissal would've found in his favour. I expect the FA had to give him a VERY handsome payoff to swerve that particular sticky wicket.

And as [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] correctly said, BFS was plenty good enough for Everton, he did exactly the job he was brought in to do. The previous incumbants made a complete sows ear of the recruitment last summer, so he was lumbered with an unbalanced squad that was listing dangerously towards the dropzone. He steadied the ship and kept them up comfortably with room to spare. Now the goons on the board have kow-towed to the Goodison crowd who think they should be doing it playing like Brazil 1970.

Lets see how that works out, as plenty of clubs have certainly learned to rue binning off Sam for someone more "fashionable".

kjgood

As regards the ways round 3rd party ownership, its pure supposition to say he'd help them find ways round it if needed. He never offered that, he just said there are ways round it, which anyone involved in the game would know. To sack him on that basis was flimsy in the extreme. Had he of been of a mind to, I'm sure a lawsuit for unfair dismissal would've found in his favour. I expect the FA had to give him a VERY handsome payoff to swerve that particular sticky wicket.

And as [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] correctly said, BFS was plenty good enough for Everton, he did exactly the job he was brought in to do. The previous incumbants made a complete sows ear of the recruitment last summer, so he was lumbered with an unbalanced squad that was listing dangerously towards the dropzone. He steadied the ship and kept them up comfortably with room to spare. Now the goons on the board have kow-towed to the Goodison crowd who think they should be doing it playing like Brazil 1970.

Lets see how that works out, as plenty of clubs have certainly learned to rue binning off Sam for someone more "fashionable".

Have to say I agree with this, Everton were in an awfull place when he came in, would I have been pleased with finishing in eighth place from where they were? absolutely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As regards the ways round 3rd party ownership, its pure supposition to say he'd help them find ways round it if needed. He never offered that, he just said there are ways round it, which anyone involved in the game would know.
I disagree. He wasn't simply saying that it happens, he was discussing a £400k per year job where he'd go to Hong Kong and Singapore 4 times a year to help investors that wanted to buy players. They asked if third party ownership was a problem and said "It's not a problem".

Well it is a ****ing problem, it's against the rules!

You can act like his lawyer and pretend he was just passing innocent comment, but it's clear what he was doing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I disagree. He wasn't simply saying that it happens, he was discussing a £400k per year job where he'd go to Hong Kong and Singapore 4 times a year to help investors that wanted to buy players. They asked if third party ownership was a problem and said "It's not a problem".

Well it is a ****ing problem, it's against the rules!

You can act like his lawyer and pretend he was just passing innocent comment, but it's clear what he was doing.

You're ignoring the fact that he didn't commit to anything at all, because he said he would "have to check with his employers first".

I'm no cheerleader for BFS, I wouldn't be overly thrilled to see him rock up at BHA if we were ever in the market. But you need to take a step back from all the howling sensationalist spin that the tabloids (predictably) put on this sting, and analyse what he actually said, and what he actually did. IMO it was nowhere near a sackable offence, nothing that a simple apology (to Roy in particular) couldn't have sorted out. But the FA is weak, they don't like all the lurid headlines, so they took the easy option, paid him off, and installed a nice quiet blazer in his place.

This whole episode would've been forgotten in a week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here