Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Considering there are less than 7 million Jocks in Scotland I think the chances of finding millions around the world is slim. Gerrard, Scouse. Moving on, global footprint, BHA's has grown massively in 5 years, Rangers has at least diminished?

They are still at least three times as big as us........If not more.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Bit late to the party on this one, but I must say I am surprised that Goldson is considered not worth keeping for a Premier League squad - at the second level behind the big six.

I assume that Hughton and the coaching staff see weaknesses that we don't during training, but every time I've watched him I've thought he displays a good footballing brain both defensively and attacking wise. I really expected him to form a long term partnership with Dunk in the near future - or failing that be Dunk's replacement if he was sold. Shows how much I know.

Hope he's the next Van Dijk (who we also wanted to buy) and succeeds enough to enjoy a top class career.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Bit late to the party on this one, but I must say I am surprised that Goldson is considered not worth keeping for a Premier League squad - at the second level behind the big six.

I assume that Hughton and the coaching staff see weaknesses that we don't during training, but every time I've watched him I've thought he displays a good footballing brain both defensively and attacking wise. I really expected him to form a long term partnership with Dunk in the near future - or failing that be Dunk's replacement if he was sold. Shows how much I know.

Hope he's the next Van Dijk (who we also wanted to buy) and succeeds enough to enjoy a top class career.

I don't see that at all. I just think that the club believe that both Dunk and Duffy are better than him and respect the fact that he is desperate for first team football that we can't currently give him. I think we forget that Goldson is only a year younger than both Dunk and Duffy so is not some young whipper snapper that will one day take the reins but a player that should be hitting his prime in the next few years and therefore needs to be playing.

My disappointment is on the price which seems an absolute steal

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What type of football does he want to play?

Because as far as i can see we have a defender who is very good on the ball in Dunk?

Greer, too, was very good on the ball.

You seem to be suggesting Hughton just wants a big lump that's good at heading and that Goldson is the better player (again, based on a good 5 months in the Championship and a decent performance v a dire Watford side). Is that right?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roberto Baggio was a very good player that was injured all the time. Darren Anderton too. Oxlade Chamberlain is injured all of the time, but is excellent. Of our current squad, we have a number of players that are very good but injuries have stopped them ever fulfilling their true potential i.e. Uwe (who has now left) and Baldock are just two obvious examples. If you can't see Goldson's potential as a CB based on his performances for us, then I really can't help you.

And that is exactly what I'm suggesting. Are you suggesting that you believe Hughton has Duffy in the side for his excellence on the ball? Of course not... we concede A LOT of shots on goal, particularly since our promotion, and like Burnley, we have a decent defensive record in spite of this because of the way we funnel attacking players into specific areas that allow our defenders to play to their strengths. What we don't do is play a high defensive line and ask Duffy to bring the ball out of the back with any regularity because they just aren't his strengths. We play this way because against most sides in this division, we're underdogs. But I imagine, were we a better side who wanted to play higher up the pitch, it probably wouldn't be Duffy back there because his obvious strengths would, to a large degree, be nullified.

I hope I haven't got too technical for you. I know you're struggling with some of this; I've tried to keep it really basic though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The last time we were in the top league we were buying players from Rangers (Gordon Smith), now we're selling ours to them. That's progress, but not sure in which direction.

They were a much better team in a more competitive league then.

John Greig, Davie Cooper, Derek Johnstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They were a much better team in a more competitive league then.

John Greig, Davie Cooper, Derek Johnstone

Rangers were undoubtably stronger in those days, but even then, it was always about Rangers or Celtic, it was a very rare occurance indeed if another club won the league.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You must be joking.

Playing in front on 40,000 who worship you.

Chance to springboard onto an even bigger move.

Look at all the top players that have played up there , most absolutely loved it.

Perfect move I'd suggest.

I know I’m picking on parts of your post but:

Crowd every other week otherwise league 1 crowds.

Bigger move, other than VVD can’t think immediately of others recently.

Few top players these days, only prem flops.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Few top players these days, only prem flops.

Hard to argue with that, especially the last part of your post. Until fairly recently there was a production line of talented footballers comeing out of Scotland. Far fewer now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Andrew Robertson is doing rather well, since launching his career north of the border.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Rangers were undoubtably stronger in those days, but even then, it was always about Rangers or Celtic, it was a very rare occurance indeed if another club won the league.

Aberdeen? Dundee Utd? Hearts? We’re all strong in the 80’s.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He'll do well in the MTL, and is still of an age where he'll have some potentially lucrative resale value. I appreciate he's hardly played in the last year or so, but in todays inflated market, £3.5m is still a snip for a CB of his quality. Given that they're getting a bargain, it should only be on the provision that we get a hefty % of any future transfer fee if Rangers ever sell him on.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Happy for him , sad for us , what a waste of talent he will be playing in Scotland against pretty average players , (no disrespect meant btw ) but a big mistake this one if it goes through , 2 years down the line we will be in the market for just the type of player he is now .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Happy for him , sad for us , what a waste of talent he will be playing in Scotland against pretty average players , (no disrespect meant btw ) but a big mistake this one if it goes through , 2 years down the line we will be in the market for just the type of player he is now .

How is it a mistake if he wants to go ?

We can't keep an unhappy player , that would be disruptive and send out signals to other potential signings.

Its a shame but it can't be viewed as a mistake.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You must be joking.

Playing in front on 40,000 who worship you.

Massive profile up there. He will be like an A list celebrity.

Money

Playing

Chance to springboard onto an even bigger move.

Look at all the top players that have played up there , most absolutely loved it.

Perfect move I'd suggest.

This, plus Europe, plus playing for Gerrard. Hardly a surprise move.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Kids played 34 league games in three seasons, and that dearth of appearances is not going to change anytime soon. He's 26, he wants to play. Let him go.

As for the fee, seems little to some of us, but another point of view, being espoused in particular by Celtic fans on Twitter is "£3 million ??!! For a nobody with heart problems who's made 8 appearances in the last two years??!! You've been royally stitched up haha! :lolol:"

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
This, plus Europe, plus playing for Gerrard. Hardly a surprise move.

What's all this stuff about playing for Gerrard about can someone explain to me? Gerrard was a good footballer however has pretty much next to nothing managerial experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here