Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Selling Goldson seems to indicate to me that we are keeping Dunk.
I'd expect us to keep Dunk for another year, but if he does well he could attract interest from the big clubs the following summer which would be tempting for him. If that happens, it would be good if Goldson has been on loan for a year, as he can then come back.

has probably exceeded his true quality in all honesty.
I don't think so.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because when I've seen him play I thought he was good. Most of us (not all) thought the same about Dunk, even though he wasn't proven at Championship level (mistakes like getting sent off away to Palace). And when Dunk still wasn't doing that great at Championship level, we turned down £5m for him. Dunk has proved to be an excellent centre back, so Goldson couldn't get his place, and Duffy is a different style of centre back and Hughton decided he complimented Lewis better. I think Goldson is good enough for the PL. I'd prefer he went on loan to the Championship for 1 season.

This.

Some thought Dunk a liability as a Championship player, holding the team back.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I like the fact we haven't heard from Goldson. When he goes he deserves good wishes for that alone.

Surprised a few more clubs haven't joined the race to put up the bids.

End of the day , he has only played 32 times for us and only 8 times in 2 seasons. Based on that then 250k to 3million is great business.

Whack a big sell on , wish him well and hope he helps Rangers get back on top.

Is what it is

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd expect us to keep Dunk for another year, but if he does well he could attract interest from the big clubs the following summer which would be tempting for him. If that happens, it would be good if Goldson has been on loan for a year, as he can then come back.

I don't think so.

He will never ever be as good as Lewis Dunk.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Because when I've seen him play I thought he was good. Most of us (not all) thought the same about Dunk, even though he wasn't proven at Championship level (mistakes like getting sent off away to Palace). And when Dunk still wasn't doing that great at Championship level, we turned down £5m for him. Dunk has proved to be an excellent centre back, so Goldson couldn't get his place, and Duffy is a different style of centre back and Hughton decided he complimented Lewis better. I think Goldson is good enough for the PL. I'd prefer he went on loan to the Championship for 1 season.

If he is good enough for the PL don’t you think we’d get offers from a PL club?

Personally I’d like him to stay but I’m not sure he’ll get much game time, as we have better players and may just have signed another one who CH will prefer to him.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Rangers financial problems have been well documented, so wouldn't a loan deal be in everyone's interest?
He does well, Rangers have an option to buy, or other clubs will be interested after seeing him as 1st choice for a season.
Or he returns because we are playing championship football and will be 1st choice in our team:down:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This.

Some thought Dunk a liability as a Championship player, holding the team back.

Not that many, he has always looked a class player, he just had a moment EVERY game where he gave the opposition a goal scoring opportunity with the occasional red mist resulting in a red card.

He was young, Goldson isn’t

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I like the fact we haven't heard from Goldson. When he goes he deserves good wishes for that alone.

Surprised a few more clubs haven't joined the race to put up the bids.

End of the day , he has only played 32 times for us and only 8 times in 2 seasons. Based on that then 250k to 3million is great business.

Whack a big sell on , wish him well and hope he helps Rangers get back on top.

Is what it is
Agreed......will be sad to see him go (if he does) but he's had precious little game time and for his own sake probably wants to be playing. He's also probably 4th choice CB at the moment after D&D and Balogun (who is already a full international), and if we sign Moore as well he's potentially even further away from the first team.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Maybe, but I think the step up is harder for a winger.
Not sure, but then we turned down £5m for Dunk when we still weren't sure he was good enough.

'we' being the fans, not the club. The club knew Dunk was good enough, it feels this time that CH is happier to let Goldson go. Plus Dunk of course was first choice then, Goldson isn't and won't be. Shame for Connor we couldn't loan him out last year, then he wouldn't have missed out on a season of development. Careers curve in different ways and Goldson hasn't had the breaks, not surprised he wants to move on.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When Fulham bid £5m for Dunk, don't you think we'd have got offers from a PL club if he was good enough?

He wasn’t at the time, he has only proved himself good enough this season. Goldson has not played enough since his heart problem to be be considered “Premier League” standard...imo. If he was considered good enough at least one team would take a punt wouldn’t they?

Maybe you know better than CH though, who doesn’t seem to rate him that highly at this level. :shrug:

We didn’t want to sell Dunk as he was a first team regular, Goldson isn’t and we seem ready to sell him, again imo.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rangers KO their European campaign circa 12 July 2018.

Opposition at this stage was too difficult for them last season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rangers have the purchasing power of a Leeds or a Forest, and we're talking about our third best centre-back of 2017/18, a players almost everyone would be comfortable with deputising for Duffy or Dunk.

£1.2 mill?! It's like me offering Beyonce £100 for a blowjob.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rangers have the purchasing power of a Leeds or a Forest, and we're talking about our third best centre-back of 2017/18, a players almost everyone would be comfortable with deputising for Duffy or Dunk.

£1.2 mill?! It's like me offering Beyonce £100 for a blowjob.

Fourth best

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here