Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well I guess he just wants to play, can’t blame him for that. I hope we have a big sell on clause, as the fee seems an absolute steal.

Shrewsbury, who we bought him off, had a 20% sell on clause with us. The Shrews fan I know is very happy at this deal!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well they know because they talk to Barber or Hughton or Bloom and other sources who confirm or deny stories.
So this thread is finally an example of the Argus breaking a transfer story about one of our players then? No, of course it isn't, the Argus didn't break the story. Or perhaps you think Barber didn't know about Goldson's potential move to Rangers, since he hadn't told the Argus.

But poor old Brian Owen and Andy Naylor . Decades of standing up stories for a local paper, a service that is just about staying alive in obviously difficult circumstances , providing a lot of that journalism for free these days via Twitter and online and being a welcome credible alternative to the torrent of rumours, guesses and regurgitated journalism elsewhere in the window, including a lot of the national press who really do print exaggerated guff provided by agents and the like.
I get it, you're in the business, maybe even know Owen or Naylor, and you support them. I'm sorry I don't share your agenda.

And still users come on here and think its all lies, they know nothing and that Barber, of all people , is a liar and they print it.
:facepalm: I didn't call Barber a liar. I also didn't say that everything the Argus prints is a lie. I'm just pointing out that they don't know everything. Where is your proof that they know there were no other offers?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I didn't call Barber a liar. I also didn't say that everything the Argus prints is a lie. I'm just pointing out that they don't know everything. Where is your proof that they know there were no other offers?

I trust the Argus to not print it if otherwise and if they say sources at the club told them - it’s almost certainly Barber. And in this case that was their reporting.
You said he was economical with the truth. Ie: I read that to mean he was lying to the Argus and is a liar when dealing with the press. Apologies if you meant it to be anything else.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Good luck to him......any Rangers fan looking on here will realise what a loss he is for us and a great player he will be for them. This lad has huge potential. Good luck to him....He wants to play more and he will be regularly playing in front of 40k adoring fans. One thing he has in his locker more than our brilliant pairing of Dunk and Duffy is potential goal threat from set pieces. He may score a decent amount north of the border. Good luck fella and thanks.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I get it, you're in the business, maybe even know Owen or Naylor, and you support them. I'm sorry I don't share your agenda.

And yep. I do work alongside journalists, value local football journalism and its attempts to survive.
My agenda , if thats what it is , is to support them whether at the Argus or the Northern Echo or the Eastern Daily Press or the Lancashire Telegraph because they do a valuable service sometimes holding clubs to account, reporting responsibly, and trying to stand up their reporting with sources from the Albion or elsewhere (players, agents, contacts abroad/in other papers) .
Most coverage of the transfer window especially is very thin stuff indeed. Rumours, lies, agent led guff recycled here and there, just outright fakery on mad Twitter accounts, some very dubious online football sites and by poor guys on national desks having to fill acres of space writing endless transfer rumour blogs and stories from dawn until dusk. Local paper journalism isn't like that.

I'm not deluded , the 2 full time journalists at the Argus who report on the Albion, filling 2-3 pages of the Argus every day with stories and interviews aren't likely to be breaking transfer stories when Albion scout the world for targets, although they have their moments. And Albion under Barber, Bloom keep everything pretty locked down.

But to say that the club lies to them, they print it without even thinking about it and or they wouldn't know something about the ins/outs/details of a big transfer story that they've now written about 6 or 7 times on in the last week then yep i'm inclined to post an alternative point of view on here in defence of em.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good luck to him......any Rangers fan looking on here will realise what a loss he is for us and a great player he will be for them. This lad has huge potential. Good luck to him....He wants to play more and he will be regularly playing in front of 40k adoring fans. One thing he has in his locker more than our brilliant pairing of Dunk and Duffy is potential goal threat from set pieces. He may score a decent amount north of the border. Good luck fella and thanks.

Well said.

However I remain gutted......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
And yep. I do work alongside journalists, value local football journalism and its attempts to survive.
My agenda , if thats what it is , is to support them whether at the Argus or the Northern Echo or the Eastern Daily Press or the Lancashire Telegraph because they do a valuable service sometimes holding clubs to account, reporting responsibly, and trying to stand up their reporting with sources from the Albion or elsewhere (players, agents, contacts abroad/in other papers) .
Most coverage of the transfer window especially is very thin stuff indeed. Rumours, lies, agent led guff recycled here and there, just outright fakery on mad Twitter accounts, some very dubious online football sites and by poor guys on national desks having to fill acres of space writing endless transfer rumour blogs and stories from dawn until dusk. Local paper journalism isn't like that.

I'm not deluded , the 2 full time journalists at the Argus who report on the Albion, filling 2-3 pages of the Argus every day with stories and interviews aren't likely to be breaking transfer stories when Albion scout the world for targets, although they have their moments. And Albion under Barber, Bloom keep everything pretty locked down.

But to say that the club lies to them, they print it without even thinking about it and or they wouldn't know something about the ins/outs/details of a big transfer story that they've now written about 6 or 7 times on in the last week then yep i'm inclined to post an alternative point of view on here in defence of em.

My grandfather was a type setter for the Argus and my uncle an editor, I have to admit the last time i purchased an Argus was our promoion edition they do the best they can in a world that is changing beyond thier control.

mikebha1963

May 13, 2014
Well said [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Being economical with the truth is not the same as lying.

Its a euphemism for lying or being misleading. Either way you're implying that Argus reporters, if thats what a club source is doing, are incapable of spotting that and just print what they're told.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
But he wouldn't be able to develop into such a player if not playing regularly so what are you supposed to do?

In a way, our good luck with injuries and suspensions last season worked against Connor. It wouldn’t have been unreasonable to expect either Duffy or Dunk to pick up a couple of bans or injuries that gave him a chance. Sod’s Law will no doubt dictate that Balogun gets the sort of game time next season that Goldson didn’t. Let’s hope he does as well as CG would, no doubt, have done.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Good luck Conner and thank you

Any Rangers fans come to see what we think we'll you have got an absolute bargain I have no doubt he will prove to be the best defender north of the boarder and I for one will look forward to watching his progress

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
But poor old Brian Owen and Andy Naylor . Decades of standing up stories for a local paper, a service that is just about staying alive in obviously difficult circumstances , providing a lot of that journalism for free these days via Twitter and online and being a welcome credible alternative to the torrent of rumours, guesses and regurgitated journalism elsewhere in the window, including a lot of the national press who really do print exaggerated guff provided by agents and the like.

Completely this. As I’ve said many times before, nobody knows anything. Ninety percent of it is made up. Remember some of the players we were ‘linked with’ last summer? John Terry, anyone? On no, that’s right - the story run by the Evening Standard and the Mirror (by someone I know, whom I tried to tell not to write such nonsense) was that we wouldn’t be signing him because we wouldn’t meet his wage demands - not that we were never interested in him and wouldn’t want a player with his attitude and issues anywhere near our squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here