Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Goldson - Rangers [06/06: Reports of a £3.5m deal all but complete]

He made his debut the week before Christmas, wasn't part of the side for our ridiculous unbeaten run at the beginning of the season, Uwe, Dunk and Greer were preferred.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

But you can’t deny he came in and played well.

Also, he looked comfortable in his premier league game and cup matches last season.

£3.5m is paltry and I’m disappointed.

I’m fairly certain Liam Moore was part of the Reading defence we carved up so easily....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
But you can’t deny he came in and played well.

Also, he looked comfortable in his premier league game and cup matches last season.

£3.5m is paltry and I’m disappointed.

I’m fairly certain Liam Moore was part of the Reading defence we carved up so easily....

So after signing him for 800k he played well for half a season in the Championship

Then lost his place in the team because he wasn't strong enough in the air

Got a career threatening injury

Has barely played since other than in cup games against a mixture of weaker sides from a range of divisions (where he's looked decent enough, as has Uwe) and when we got our pants pulled down by Chelsea.

Off the back of those 25 or so games in the season we didn't go up (plus a few cup games), we're making a profit of around 2.7 million, (less any Shrewsbury sell-on, plus the additional incentives suggested in the Argus article).

I cannot understand why anyone would deem that "paltry". We're letting a promising player get his career back on track. He looked decent for us but not quite good enough for a team with Premiership aspirations. It's clearly a good deal for all parties.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If we were paying £3.5m for someone who had played half a season of Champ football and then barely played since due to a combination of health and not getting into the side I’m sure some would be saying we’d overpaid.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well I hope Connor is happier than I am if this is going ahead.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Bridcutt was sold for roughly the same amount after consecutive player of the season awards in the Championship, by the way of comparison.

Apart from Ulloa i can't think of anyone fetching more which makes him the joint 2nd highest player sale in the HISTORY of the club, and we've managed to do that by getting 6 good months out of him before dropping him to the bench. Great business!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So after signing him for 800k he played well for half a season in the Championship

Has barely played since other than in cup games against a mixture of weaker sides from a range of divisions (where he's looked decent enough, as has Uwe) and when we got our pants pulled down by Chelsea.

Off the back of those 25 or so games in the season we didn't go up (plus a few cup games), we're making a profit of around 2.7 million, (less any Shrewsbury sell-on, plus the additional incentives suggested in the Argus article).

I cannot understand why anyone would deem that "paltry". We're letting a promising player get his career back on track. He looked decent for us but not quite good enough for a team with Premiership aspirations. It's clearly a good deal for all parties.

Its paltry because players get signed for millions based on a half season.

Furthermore, he lost his place due to injury. He got injured at the back end of the failed promotion season, and he was then injured at the start of the next season. Bruno was playing CB FFS, because we had no one else. Then Duffy came in and played in a league that suited his style perfectly and earned his place. By the time Goldson was back, Duffy had his place, and Goldson THEN had his career threatening injury. So no, he didn’t lose it because he wasn’t strong enough in the air. He lost it because of injury.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Most of the posts in the last 24 hours are debating whether £3.5m for Goldson is too little/derisory/about right/similar to Duffy/£15m for Liam Moore !!!! (not actually been sold yet) - fill in as preferred.
Except The Argus reported this morning and their sources are pretty good
"It is also believed the potential overall value of any transfer would be well in excess of £3.5 million."

Oh.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Furthermore, he lost his place due to injury. He got injured at the back end of the failed promotion season, and he was then injured at the start of the next season. Bruno was playing CB FFS, because we had no one else. Then Duffy came in and played in a league that suited his style perfectly and earned his place. By the time Goldson was back, Duffy had his place, and Goldson THEN had his career threatening injury. So no, he didn’t lose it because he wasn’t strong enough in the air. He lost it because of injury.

Then you could argue he only got his place in the side through injury

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Then you could argue he only got his place in the side through injury

He did... but that wasn’t the point of debate. The previous poster, the one I was replying to, suggested that he’d lost his place due to his inability in the air.

That simply isn’t true.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He did... but that wasn’t the point of debate. The previous poster, the one I was replying to, suggested that he’d lost his place due to his inability in the air.

That simply isn’t true.

How do you know ?

CH wanted Duffy and went out and got him, you don’t know why Goldson didn’t get back in the side and neither do I

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

Struggling to think of many examples where the second best centre back in the squad (over half a season) goes for big money after 2 years out of the team, especially when in that half season their team had been battering teams on the front foot for most part.

It is well known that Duffy was signed because of Goldson's failings in the air. Winstanley is quoted as saying that Duffy was signed and he and Hughton were "95% sure Dunk and Duffy would become the best partnership in the division" which tells you what they thought of Connor - a good back up player.

That is the reason why when an out of form Duffy joined us and made a pretty dire start to his Albion career (consecutive defeats) Goldson still didn't get a look in even once fit.

Still you've reminded me of another injury he picked up, maybe we can add the tag "injury prone" to his CV too.

Absolutely amazes me how many people hype Goldson, presumably the same weirdos who will only praise Dunk and prefer to criticise Duffy despite promotion and his defensive record last year. We're not selling to a rival, we're selling to Scotland. It's in the best interests of the player and if he really is as good as being made out then we only need to negotiate the sell on clause and we'll be even better off than we are already.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

That simply isn’t true.

He was always going to lose his place to our record signing, injury or no injury. Duffy was brought in because he was better in the air, allegedlly

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Due to the formation all of our CBs looked poor against Chelsea. Was a MoM contender versus Watford.

This is not about Goldson personally, I absolutely wish him the best of luck, he gets to play regularly so it works for him. 25 is not old for a footballer and arguably he’s reaching his prime.

Given Moore is reportedly quoted at £15m, McNair £4m-5m similar games to Goldson in last 3 years, the Bristol City chap ?£5m quoted.

I accept all your points, but my starting point for a proven championship player, entering his prime, under contract would be £5m+[emoji2]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Most of the posts in the last 24 hours are debating whether £3.5m for Goldson is too little/derisory/about right/similar to Duffy/£15m for Liam Moore !!!! (not actually been sold yet) - fill in as preferred.
Except The Argus reported this morning and their sources are pretty good
"It is also believed the potential overall value of any transfer would be well in excess of £3.5 million."

Oh.

Potential.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
How do you know ?

CH wanted Duffy and went out and got him, you don’t know why Goldson didn’t get back in the side and neither do I

I’m not talking about why he didn’t get back in the side. Seriously... people are struggling with basic comprehension today.

He lost his place INITIALLY because of injury. That is all I’ve said. When Duffy was bought, his only competition at the time for CB was Bruno. Goldson was out and so was Uwe. It’s really that simple.

The debate about whether Duffy would’ve got that place eventually or not because of his price tag, and whether he’s a better defender or not, is utterly irrelevant and not something I’ve discussed. Hughton prefers Duffy and that’s all that matters in the scheme of things, which means Goldson does have to play somewher this season. I do reckon (and I’m happy to be proven wrong) that we will regret letting him go for such a paltry fee if the alleged £3.5m is correct.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Struggling to think of many examples where the second best centre back in the squad (over half a season) goes for big money after 2 years out of the team, especially when in that half season their team had been battering teams on the front foot for most part.

It is well known that Duffy was signed because of Goldson's failings in the air. Winstanley is quoted as saying that Duffy was signed and he and Hughton were "95% sure Dunk and Duffy would become the best partnership in the division" which tells you what they thought of Connor - a good back up player.

That is the reason why when an out of form Duffy joined us and made a pretty dire start to his Albion career (consecutive defeats) Goldson still didn't get a look in even once fit.

Still you've reminded me of another injury he picked up, maybe we can add the tag "injury prone" to his CV too.

Absolutely amazes me how many people hype Goldson, presumably the same weirdos who will only praise Dunk and prefer to criticise Duffy despite promotion and his defensive record last year. We're not selling to a rival, we're selling to Scotland. It's in the best interests of the player and if he really is as good as being made out then we only need to negotiate the sell on clause and we'll be even better off than we are already.

Well Man Utd have signed a 19 year old full back for £19m today after 10 games in the Portuguese league so...

It’s well known? Maybe you’re more ITK than most on here, but I definitely don’t remember anyone saying that at the time we signed Duffy. We needed a CB due to injuries. Hughton wanted Duffy and paid the asking price. He went straight into the team as Bruno was covering that position at the time and he hasn’t lost said place.

And no, a career threatening heart injury was the reason... that and Duffy barely being injured!

I prefer Dunk to Duffy. He’s a better footballer and spends a large portion of every game covering Duffy’s backside. If seeing and knowing that makes me a “weirdo” then so be it. Duffy has a clear strength in the air, but teams repeatedly targeted him this year and they had success because he’s got the turning circle of a tanker. Add that to the fact that he’s an awful ball playing CB who’s inability with the round thing often halts our attacks, and you have people who are able to analyse a defender as a whole, not just getting giddy because he’s headed another clearance straight back to then opposition to start another attack.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
yep. expensive add ons.

Yes, providing things happen, there is no guarantee they will.

Unless you know precisely what they are and in monetary terms and the conditions, it is difficult to make an assessment on a possibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here