Page 69 of 82 FirstFirst ... 19596667686970717279 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But poor old Brian Owen and Andy Naylor . Decades of standing up stories for a local paper, a service that is just about staying alive in obviously difficult circumstances , providing a lot of that journalism for free these days via Twitter and online and being a welcome credible alternative to the torrent of rumours, guesses and regurgitated journalism elsewhere in the window, including a lot of the national press who really do print exaggerated guff provided by agents and the like.
    Completely this. As I’ve said many times before, nobody knows anything. Ninety percent of it is made up. Remember some of the players we were ‘linked with’ last summer? John Terry, anyone? On no, that’s right - the story run by the Evening Standard and the Mirror (by someone I know, whom I tried to tell not to write such nonsense) was that we wouldn’t be signing him because we wouldn’t meet his wage demands - not that we were never interested in him and wouldn’t want a player with his attitude and issues anywhere near our squad.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Two Mad Professors Two Professors's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Good luck and continuing good health Connor-come back soon.
      In Chris We Trust.

2 Not allowed!
      Really sad he's gone. Better player than Duffy and him and Dunk were the future for me.

8 Not allowed!
      And yep. I do work alongside journalists, value local football journalism and its attempts to survive.
      My agenda , if thats what it is , is to support them whether at the Argus or the Northern Echo or the Eastern Daily Press or the Lancashire Telegraph because they do a valuable service sometimes holding clubs to account, reporting responsibly, and trying to stand up their reporting with sources from the Albion or elsewhere (players, agents, contacts abroad/in other papers) .
      Most coverage of the transfer window especially is very thin stuff indeed. Rumours, lies, agent led guff recycled here and there, just outright fakery on mad Twitter accounts, some very dubious online football sites and by poor guys on national desks having to fill acres of space writing endless transfer rumour blogs and stories from dawn until dusk. Local paper journalism isn't like that.

I'm not deluded , the 2 full time journalists at the Argus who report on the Albion, filling 2-3 pages of the Argus every day with stories and interviews aren't likely to be breaking transfer stories when Albion scout the world for targets, although they have their moments. And Albion under Barber, Bloom keep everything pretty locked down.

Can't let this pass without thoroughly commending it.

In the past I've been critical of Andy Naylor when I think it is justified (for instance, I happen to think that news of a new contract for the first-team captain should be "broken" by him, not by some bloke who lives in Arizona, as has happened a couple of times in recent years), but the Argus is the only media outlet with full-time journalists covering the Albion daily and it would be a sad day were it ever to cease publication. When you take into account the coverage of Sussex non-league clubs, the Argus provides pretty phenomenal value-for-money for a Sussex football fan (my annual subscription for the electronic version costs $46.34, which works out at approximately 11p per edition).

Long may it continue.

0 Not allowed!
      Shame for us but understandable for Connor. Good luck to him and yes, like others, I will miss the song!
      We plough and sow and reap and mow ...
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike Small View Post
      Really sad he's gone. Better player than Duffy and him and Dunk were the future for me.
      They are two alike. Both ball playing centre backs, both number 6's as opposed to number 5's. Each team needs a big strong number 5 too, and big Shane is that man.

0 Not allowed!
      Personally think he jumped too early and should have given it till January. Rangers are a big club but the football is not good, that said he will probably play every game , be brilliant and someone comes in with a £20m bid.

0 Not allowed!
      Its a euphemism for lying or being misleading. Either way you're implying that Argus reporters, if thats what a club source is doing, are incapable of spotting that and just print what they're told.
      I agree with your wider point about the importance of local journalism, but I think you're being unfair to @Triggaaar here. As he says, being economical with the truth is not the same as lying. If Naylor asks Barber "Did the club have any other offers for Goldson?", he may well have replied something along the lines of "Well I'm not at liberty to say for various reasons". That is being economical with the truth, and not lying. That's all Triggaaar is saying, or at least how I read his comments.

As for your wider point, couldn't agree more. I'm so fed up with people on here berating Naylor, it's embarrassing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      I think you're being unfair to @Triggaaar here.
      Actually Trig was insisting that The Argus "wouldn't know" a specific detail in a story they've published.
      This can only mean he thinks a) they're making stuff up or b) their sources are being misleading or lying to them and they've simply no idea this is the case.
      Not sure how else you can read it.

1 Not allowed!
      I seem to alone in not really caring about him going. He hasn't managed to break into our first 11, and we've already bought cover. He seems a good lad so I wish him well but I don't get all the anger.