Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
In my mind, he's worth about £6.5m. I think that is the sort of fee we'd have to spend to get a replacement in of a similar value, from England at least, obviously bargains can be found abroad.

Potential add ons make sense. £3.5m lets him move and play football, and I don't think any of us would really want him held back, I don't blame him for wanting to play. However, he could do well for them and be worth a lot more than £3.5m, so something like a 25% sell on would sound about right to me and would hopefully see us receive his true value further down the line.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So do we want the replacement to be a young prospect (McNair) or an experienced journeyman (one who is not crocked)? or both. Or a like for like player approaching his peak and looking for his main chance (Liam Moore) ?

I would go for a player reaching his peak, but we have already done this with Leon Balogun.

Ideally, a versatile left footer who can play other positions.

Keepers 3
Full Backs 4 (2 left footers)
Central Defenders 4
Wingers 4 (Wingers 3 Wing-backs 1)
Midfield 6 (incl 2 attacking %/or box2box midfielders)
Strikers 4

= 25

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As a buying club I would estimate £2.3m, selling £5.6m, so £3.8m seems fair enough.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
3.5m is a good price for a player that has been back-up since the day Shane Duffy was signed (for 4m). Good luck to him; he will shine in the SPL.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Bit light in my opinion. Sell on clause could make it work. MTL’s gain is the Premier League’s loss!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Probably a reasonable deal for all parties, we make a profit... Connor gets games and Rangers don’t overpay.

Whilst I understand how some believe he is being undervalued, it’s probably spot on. Duffy was valued at £4m with far more experience and considered an upgrade, so £3.5m for Connor is probably about right. If he hadn’t lost all that time to his heart condition he probably would have been prepared to wait for more opportunities but with 2 seasons without playing much can understand he wants games.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Too cheap in today's market imho. Trust in the club though and all that. Shame, a popular guy who we will all miss.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
BFG and Goldson were 2 fantastic back up centre half’s who would walk in to any championship team,and from their point of view were unlucky that Dunk and Duffy stayed pretty much injury / suspension free for 2 seasons. They are both too good to sit on the bench again next season and both have been model pros.
I am pretty gutted to see them go but I hope they both do really well at different points in their careers.

kjgood

A real shame, but totally understandable. Could see him coming back to the Prem in a few years as a top centre back.

Good luck Connor.

I agree with this and a shame if he goes there is plenty of potential there, but thats all it is, potential. Looking at it from a commercial point of view, we have an asset (Sorry but that is what the players are to a business) who hasnt delivered very much over the last couple of years in terms of game time in the Premier League, has been unavailable for most of last year (Not his fault I know and obviously I feel sad for him and am glad he's OK) during which time apart from the initial joining cost has been paid substancial wages and costs for the period since he has been with us either unavailable, on the bench, in the stands or the odd game here and there.

TBH my employer would be having a similar conversation with me, if my sickness record (Harsh I know) and non delivery at the highest level was the same. Saying that from what I've seen he has got the potential to be a premier league player but when? another year/two? I think I would want to hang onto him in case things went wrong and we had to offload some of the more valuable assets or we had a massive injury crisis. But who on here knows what the club are planning? there must something to our advantage or they wouldnt have let two center halves go.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Most of all I hope Duffy can get his headers on target, the only part of Goldson's play where he exceeds Duffy.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Most of all I hope Duffy can get his headers on target, the only part of Goldson's play where he exceeds Duffy.

Wwll actually no, l think Goldson is probably better than Duffy with the ball at his feet. Duffy is much better when the ball is in the air, more robust, and stronger too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here