Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good luck and continuing good health Connor-come back soon.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And yep. I do work alongside journalists, value local football journalism and its attempts to survive.
My agenda , if thats what it is , is to support them whether at the Argus or the Northern Echo or the Eastern Daily Press or the Lancashire Telegraph because they do a valuable service sometimes holding clubs to account, reporting responsibly, and trying to stand up their reporting with sources from the Albion or elsewhere (players, agents, contacts abroad/in other papers) .
Most coverage of the transfer window especially is very thin stuff indeed. Rumours, lies, agent led guff recycled here and there, just outright fakery on mad Twitter accounts, some very dubious online football sites and by poor guys on national desks having to fill acres of space writing endless transfer rumour blogs and stories from dawn until dusk. Local paper journalism isn't like that.

I'm not deluded , the 2 full time journalists at the Argus who report on the Albion, filling 2-3 pages of the Argus every day with stories and interviews aren't likely to be breaking transfer stories when Albion scout the world for targets, although they have their moments. And Albion under Barber, Bloom keep everything pretty locked down.

:clap2:

Can't let this pass without thoroughly commending it.

In the past I've been critical of Andy Naylor when I think it is justified (for instance, I happen to think that news of a new contract for the first-team captain should be "broken" by him, not by some bloke who lives in Arizona, as has happened a couple of times in recent years), but the Argus is the only media outlet with full-time journalists covering the Albion daily and it would be a sad day were it ever to cease publication. When you take into account the coverage of Sussex non-league clubs, the Argus provides pretty phenomenal value-for-money for a Sussex football fan (my annual subscription for the electronic version costs $46.34, which works out at approximately 11p per edition).

Long may it continue.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Shame for us but understandable for Connor. Good luck to him and yes, like others, I will miss the song!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Personally think he jumped too early and should have given it till January. Rangers are a big club but the football is not good, that said he will probably play every game , be brilliant and someone comes in with a £20m bid.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its a euphemism for lying or being misleading. Either way you're implying that Argus reporters, if thats what a club source is doing, are incapable of spotting that and just print what they're told.

I agree with your wider point about the importance of local journalism, but I think you're being unfair to [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] here. As he says, being economical with the truth is not the same as lying. If Naylor asks Barber "Did the club have any other offers for Goldson?", he may well have replied something along the lines of "Well I'm not at liberty to say for various reasons". That is being economical with the truth, and not lying. That's all Triggaaar is saying, or at least how I read his comments.

As for your wider point, couldn't agree more. I'm so fed up with people on here berating Naylor, it's embarrassing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I think you're being unfair to @Triggaaar here.

Actually Trig was insisting that The Argus "wouldn't know" a specific detail in a story they've published.
This can only mean he thinks a) they're making stuff up or b) their sources are being misleading or lying to them and they've simply no idea this is the case.
Not sure how else you can read it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I seem to alone in not really caring about him going. He hasn't managed to break into our first 11, and we've already bought cover. He seems a good lad so I wish him well but I don't get all the anger.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Being economical with the truth is not the same as lying.

As they say in the National Spelling Bee

"economical with the truth", may I have the definition, please?

lying - may I have the definition, please?

"Economical with the truth" became a political catchphrase in the United Kingdom in 1986 during the Spycatcher trial in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, when Robert Armstrong, the UK Cabinet Secretary, was questioned by Malcolm Turnbull, and described a letter thus:

Q: So that letter contains a lie, does it not?
A: It contains a misleading impression in that respect.
Q: Which you knew to be misleading at the time you made it?
A: Of course.
Q: So it contains a lie?
A: It is a misleading impression, it does not contain a lie, I don't think.
Q: What is the difference between a misleading impression and a lie?
A: You are as good at English as I am.
Q: I am just trying to understand.
A: A lie is a straight untruth.
Q: What is a misleading impression – a sort of bent untruth?
A: As one person said, it is perhaps being economical with the truth.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As they say in the National Spelling Bee

"economical with the truth", may I have the definition, please?

lying - may I have the definition, please?

"Economical with the truth" became a political catchphrase in the United Kingdom in 1986 during the Spycatcher trial in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, when Robert Armstrong, the UK Cabinet Secretary, was questioned by Malcolm Turnbull, and described a letter thus:

Q: So that letter contains a lie, does it not?
A: It contains a misleading impression in that respect.
Q: Which you knew to be misleading at the time you made it?
A: Of course.
Q: So it contains a lie?
A: It is a misleading impression, it does not contain a lie, I don't think.
Q: What is the difference between a misleading impression and a lie?
A: You are as good at English as I am.
Q: I am just trying to understand.
A: A lie is a straight untruth.
Q: What is a misleading impression – a sort of bent untruth?
A: As one person said, it is perhaps being economical with the truth.
A good story, but that doesn't mean lying and being economical with the truth are the same. They're not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Actually Trig was insisting that The Argus "wouldn't know" a specific detail in a story they've published.
Firstly, you should probably look for a definition of 'insisting' too. I made one comment, I didn't insist on anything.

This can only mean he thinks a) they're making stuff up or b) their sources are being misleading or lying to them and they've simply no idea this is the case.
No. Do I think the Argus write some transfer gossip despite not being completely sure of their accuracy? Yes, of course. That doesn't mean it's completely made up, they might think something is probably accurate, but it's transfer rumours, so they won't be as stringent as an they'd need to be with an important news story. They got plenty of things wrong before, I'm surprised you're trying to suggest they haven't.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I seem to alone in not really caring about him going. He hasn't managed to break into our first 11, and we've already bought cover. He seems a good lad so I wish him well but I don't get all the anger.

You’re not alone. He’s a good player, seems a good bloke and has provided decent backup with zero moaning about it, but that’s all he ever was since Duffy signed: backup. He’ll turn 26 this year and there is no immediate prospect of him becoming anything other than 3rd choice behind Dunk and Duffy, both of whom have at least another 5 years in their prime.

The reported 3m is a good fee for us, and it’s a good career move for him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So much angst about a player who has hardly played for two years and I notice he has improved out of all recognition during that period if some of you are to be believed. He was a good Championship player but CH decided he wasn’t good enough for a promotion pushing team and brought in Duffy. He may turn out to be a 20 million player but, personally, I really doubt it.

Good luck to him, model professional who seems to be a nice guy too, but I won’t be losing sleep over him leaving to play for a hero of his at Rangers.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
No. Do I think the Argus write some transfer gossip despite not being completely sure of their accuracy? Yes, of course. That doesn't mean it's completely made up, they might think something is probably accurate, but it's transfer rumours, so they won't be as stringent as an they'd need to be with an important news story. .

Some of the transfer stories that are potentially brewing this summer are , for the Argus Sports desk some of the biggest news stories they will have this year for a local newspaper. How often do they have premier league club record signings on their patch. ? So yes, I do think they are very stringent.

And you don’t. Ok fair enough.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So much angst about a player who has hardly played for two years and I notice he has improved out of all recognition during that period if some of you are to be believed. He was a good Championship player but CH decided he wasn’t good enough for a promotion pushing team and brought in Duffy. He may turn out to be a 20 million player but, personally, I really doubt it.

Good luck to him, model professional who seems to be a nice guy too, but I won’t be losing sleep over him leaving to play for a hero of his at Rangers.

You speak the truth

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
You speak the truth

Perhaps people would be concerned he had left if Dunk or Duffy suffered an injury and either was out for a long period. The player who could seamlessly replace either (IMO) has left and we have to rely on an untried back up. Connor always played well when called upon......that's what people will miss and had he had a run in the team a lot were of the opinion he was a player who had the capacity to improve. There is no doubt he WILL be missed and we don't know if we have found an able replacement if we suffer a season of injuries. I don't think anyone's concerned he has left it's just he was a brilliant player we had for cover and it might be hard to replace that!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here