Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
As someone who has an allegiance to the green side of Glasgow, Murphy and Goldson joining the dark side is a bitter pill to swallow. Brighton, though have probably swallowed most of their transfer kitty now, so I don't think it will be enough to change the status quo next season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’m not talking about why he didn’t get back in the side. Seriously... people are struggling with basic comprehension today.

He lost his place INITIALLY because of injury. That is all I’ve said. When Duffy was bought, his only competition at the time for CB was Bruno. Goldson was out and so was Uwe. It’s really that simple.

The debate about whether Duffy would’ve got that place eventually or not because of his price tag, and whether he’s a better defender or not, is utterly irrelevant and not something I’ve discussed. Hughton prefers Duffy and that’s all that matters in the scheme of things, which means Goldson does have to play somewher this season. I do reckon (and I’m happy to be proven wrong) that we will regret letting him go for such a paltry fee if the alleged £3.5m is correct.

Shane Duffy's transfer was completed on August 26 2016. Goldson was back in action four days later (for the U-23s in the Checkatrade Trophy tie at Southend).

Duffy played against Newcastle on August 27, the day after signing, and due to an international break the next game wasn't until September 10 (against Brentford) when Duffy started and Goldson was named as a substitute.

There is absolutely no way on earth that Albion broke their transfer record to sign Duffy to provide cover for Goldson for ONE MATCH - it is abundantly clear that Hughton saw Duffy as an upgrade on Goldson.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Will be a shame as he's a player I'd have little concern with coming in to replace Dunk or Duffy. However, he simply has to be playing regularly to further his career.

I've read a few people suggest a 'buy back option' in his contract. Has such thing ever existed or is this just one of NSC's fictional clauses?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
He isn’t good enough in the air and Dunk is just as skilful on the ground so I don’t agree with you at all. We signed Duffy because Goldson was being bullied, especially in the air, by big forwards...or so I heard.

Strange, I don't remember watching Goldson have any issues in the air?? Granted Duffy is better in that department but Goldson is an all-round much better footballer.

Because Duffy is so poor with the ball at his feet the Dunk/ Duffy partnership only works when all of the ball distribution duties go through Dunk.

However last year certain teams like Huddersfield recognised that Duffy's distribution is terrible and capitalised on it by high pressing Dunk and forcing the ball to be played to Duffy in the knowledge that eventually he would make a mistake like he did when he gifted them their equaliser.

I think the modern game requires centre halves to be good with the ball at their feet and Duffy being so poor in this area this is a potential weakness of ours, OK to escape relegation but if we want to push further up the league then I think we stand more chance with players like Goldson in the team who are good with the ball at their feet than 1 dimensional players like Duffy.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've read a few people suggest a 'buy back option' in his contract. Has such thing ever existed or is this just one of NSC's fictional clauses?

They do exist - Real Madrid bought back Alvaro Morata from Juventus and Barcelona bought back Gerard Deulofeu from Everton - but I'm not sure how much they have been used domestically (either in England or Scotland).

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
3.5m for Connor is ludicrous. I'll be so ****ed off about this if it goes through.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Strange, I don't remember watching Goldson have any issues in the air?? Granted Duffy is better in that department but Goldson is an all-round much better footballer.

Because Duffy is so poor with the ball at his feet the Dunk/ Duffy partnership only works when all of the ball distribution duties go through Dunk.

However last year certain teams like Huddersfield recognised that Duffy's distribution is terrible and capitalised on it by high pressing Dunk and forcing the ball to be played to Duffy in the knowledge that eventually he would make a mistake like he did when he gifted them their equaliser.

I think the modern game requires centre halves to be good with the ball at their feet and Duffy being so poor in this area this is a potential weakness of ours, OK to escape relegation but if we want to push further up the league then I think we stand more chance with players like Goldson in the team who are good with the ball at their feet than 1 dimensional players like Duffy.

I think it was Burnley's equaliser in the late season game in the near-miss year that made CH want a stronger CB to get us out of the championship. Certainly that was the talk on the Albion Roar

This goal, 1.46. It looks like it was his man and he was nowhere near him. Arguably cost us promotion

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
3.5m for Connor is ludicrous. I'll be so ****ed off about this if it goes through.

He's never really demonstrated that he's amazing though has he? I think his stock has increased whilst he's been on the bench. He had half a season in the championship in a year that ended with us missing out on promotion, then had heart surgery, then had a couple of games in the premier league :shrug:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
He's never really demonstrated that he's amazing though has he? I think his stock has increased whilst he's been on the bench. He had half a season in the championship in a year that ended with us missing out on promotion, then had heart surgery, then had a couple of games in the premier league :shrug:

Through no fault of his own. He was man of the match against Watford on his first game back, I seem to remember the match of the day pundits drooling over him. Next game he is back on the bench.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think it was Burnley's equaliser in the late season game in the near-miss year that made CH want a stronger CB to get us out of the championship. Certainly that was the talk on the Albion Roar

This goal, 1.46. It looks like it was his man and he was nowhere near him. Arguably cost us promotion

Well given the number of goals we conceded from set plays last season, I would suggest it isn’t resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Sorry, but I think you are massively re-writing history here.

Duffy had an outstanding season, making his debut (apart from maybe a couple of games as a teenager) at a higher level. I think it's fair to say that he was probably slightly less important and impressive than Dunk, but they were incredible as a pair all season, and this was widely recognised in the national press as well as by pretty much any Albion fan I spoke to. Again, his distribution is probably one of the weaker parts of his game, but it was not terrible and in fact he looked very comfortable playing the ball the majority of the time. You have taken one high-profile mistake (Huddersfield) and used to it support a completely false narrative. There is no way that Huddersfield were tactically pressing Dunk in order to take advantage of an analysed weakness in Duffy. They pressed high because that's what Wagner does with his teams, and Duffy just played a casual back-pass without looking. Its something that some of the most comfortable footballers in the world have done in the past.

For what it's worth, I am quite gutted to be losing Goldson as I think he always looked capable at this level (and maybe better than Duffy), but I am amazed people are now using it as an excuse to have a go at Duffy.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Will be a shame as he's a player I'd have little concern with coming in to replace Dunk or Duffy. However, he simply has to be playing regularly to further his career.

Agreed although the big issue regarding subs and fringe players is that Hughton just doesn't rotate the squad enough and subs are lucky to get 10/15 mins here and there.Its important we add more quality and rotate more.I would dread to think how many minutes some of our subs played last season.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Sky sports quoting 3M rather than 3.5M. 500 grand was a significant amount of money a few years ago.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Shame to see him go but good luck to the lad. Rangers have a very good player now at a reasonable price. He was an awesome replacement for Dunk or Duffy who had a great season, both players were very good. He will be missed.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Sorry, but I think you are massively re-writing history here.

Duffy had an outstanding season, making his debut (apart from maybe a couple of games as a teenager) at a higher level. I think it's fair to say that he was probably slightly less important and impressive than Dunk, but they were incredible as a pair all season, and this was widely recognised in the national press as well as by pretty much any Albion fan I spoke to. Again, his distribution is probably one of the weaker parts of his game, but it was not terrible and in fact he looked very comfortable playing the ball the majority of the time. You have taken one high-profile mistake (Huddersfield) and used to it support a completely false narrative. There is no way that Huddersfield were tactically pressing Dunk in order to take advantage of an analysed weakness in Duffy. They pressed high because that's what Wagner does with his teams, and Duffy just played a casual back-pass without looking. Its something that some of the most comfortable footballers in the world have done in the past.

For what it's worth, I am quite gutted to be losing Goldson as I think he always looked capable at this level (and maybe better than Duffy), but I am amazed people are now using it as an excuse to have a go at Duffy.

I am not saying that Duffy/ Dunk partnership wasn't great last year (or the year before) but just pointing out that Duffy's distribution is a weakness. Its clear that we have a centre back pairing where one player (Dunk) is clearly much better at ball distribution than the other, are you seriously suggesting that premier league teams are not tactically cute enough to take this in to consideration??!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am not saying that Duffy/ Dunk partnership wasn't great last year (or the year before) but just pointing out that Duffy's distribution is a weakness. Its clear that we have a centre back pairing where one player (Dunk) is clearly much better at ball distribution than the other, are you seriously suggesting that premier league teams are not tactically cute enough to take this in to consideration??!

I'm not saying they're not, but I just don't think a) Duffy's distribution is quite the glaring weak link in our team you are making it out to be or b) there is actually an example of a team dong what you said last year. Just watched the Hudds goal again and it really is just a (shocking) innocuous mistake. I don't think it can be pinned on anything Huddersfield are doing tactically, apart from pressing high and the striker taking a gamble on the backpass, which lots of teams do to everyone all the time.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not saying they're not, but I just don't think a) Duffy's distribution is quite the glaring weak link in our team you are making it out to be or b) there is actually an example of a team dong what you said last year. Just watched the Hudds goal again and it really is just a (shocking) innocuous mistake. I don't think it can be pinned on anything Huddersfield are doing tactically, apart from pressing high and the striker taking a gamble on the backpass, which lots of teams do to everyone all the time.

You would have to watch the whole game back not just the goal, the Dunk side was being pressed so much that Duffy ended up with the ball the majority of the time. My perception at the time was that Duffy was uncomfortable with this and that this culminated in him making the mistake.

Like I said the Dunk/ Duffy partnership has served us well but if we want to move up the league we may need to look at upgrading Duffy with someone more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

My personal view is that given a run in the team Goldson would have offered more but it doesn't look now like we will ever find out.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
You would have to watch the whole game back not just the goal, the Dunk side was being pressed so much that Duffy ended up with the ball the majority of the time. My perception at the time was that Duffy was uncomfortable with this and that this culminated in him making the mistake.

Like I said the Dunk/ Duffy partnership has served us well but if we want to move up the league we may need to look at upgrading Duffy with someone more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

My personal view is that given a run in the team Goldson would have offered more but it doesn't look now like we will ever find out.
Duffy was part of an Irish team who were one game away from qualifying from the world cup, including scoring a crucial goal in one game. Goldson is not proven at this stage yet.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I think he said demonstrated he’s as good as the other two. I didn’t see Duffy put in a performance like his against Watford all season.

But the reality is Hughton prefers Duffy. I think that’s in part because Duffy plays the stopper role. Whereas both Goldson and Dunk are better readers of the game and play off of one another rather than having distinct roles when they play together.

It’s a tactical preference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here